BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2014 11:01 pm  #61

Re: Benedict in Malaysia

He wrote: You are very talented. Thanks. (Years as a teacher have helped me decipher script such as this!  )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 28, 2014 6:31 am  #62

Having had bad hand writimg all my life, means I'm good at reading other people's scrawl!

Last edited by besleybean (March 28, 2014 6:31 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 28, 2014 7:23 am  #63

Translating scrawl is helpful sometimes. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 28, 2014 4:32 pm  #64

It seems not everyone is happy, though, I've just read that he refused to sign one particularly unflattering pic and now of course there is all discussion and many negative reactions. You just can't please everyone, it seems.

March 28, 2014 5:02 pm  #65

That's so unfair though  - I don't think he refused to sign it, the impression I got was that he just made a typical Ben remark about it being a bad photo and carried on signing things and chatting to people; Polar would know, as I think it refers to one of the girls in the crowd she was with?
This is the problem; the more he tries to oblige people, the more people post pics and accounts on the 'net, then someone picks up on something, takes it the wrong way and suddenly he's a bad guy for trying to do good

I'm really glad people get to meet him, but in a way, I really wish he'd just get back to acting and not bother trying to please everyone, as it always seems to backfire on him

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 28, 2014 5:42 pm  #66

I saw that moment on one of the YT-videos.. he didn´t refuse to sign at all, he was completely busy signing things on the other side and just remarked he didn´t like the picture. Probably people don´t realize how much information he has to process in the limited time he has with his fans, he can´t be everywhere, notice everything and fulfil everyone´s wishes..

Last edited by Zatoichi (March 28, 2014 5:46 pm)

March 28, 2014 6:24 pm  #67

Exactly, Zatoichi!
People are so ready to believe the worst of people without knowing the facts - makes me so mad that it's so easy to trash someone's reputation; and not just with Ben, it angers me when this happens to celebs in general because they have no comeback.

Last edited by Tinks (March 28, 2014 6:24 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 28, 2014 6:27 pm  #68

Well, to be fair, in the video on YT you can see that he clearly saw the pic, exclaimed something along the lines of "Yikes!" and then continued to sign other pics.
I don't know, I think he has every right to decide whether or not he signs a picture, and I assume he is well aware that it won't go unnoticed if he refuses to sign a particular one when at the same time he apparently signs all the others. I guess it wouldn't have hurt him to sign it, at the same time he has absolutely no obligation to do it.
It's a walk on a tightrope I guess, but I kind of like the idea that he actually really notices what kind of stuff he signs, he pays attention, he takes a look... and somewhere on tumblr the pic got posted and all I can say is: I wouldn't have signed it, either.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 28, 2014 6:33 pm  #69

I see what you're saying Solar, but I'm inclined to agree with Zatoichi because Polar talked of him standing right in front of her throughout and still almost forgetting/ not thinking to sign the picture she was holding.
I honestly don't think he'd deliberately upset a fan like that, nor do I think he has enough vanity in him to only sign the ones where he looks good.
But you're right - he's under no obligation at the end of the day.
I'd hate for him to stop taking time with fans for fear of what might be said about him afterwards - after all, he didn't have to go over to them at all.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 28, 2014 6:43 pm  #70

Tinks, I'm not making this up, have you seen the video on YT? Here is the link, go to minute 1:17 and you'll see and hear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwYQM4yEjVE

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 28, 2014 6:50 pm  #71

Oh, okay, I saw another video from a fan-meeting outdoors.. 

Last edited by Zatoichi (March 28, 2014 7:40 pm)

March 28, 2014 6:54 pm  #72

Always unfortunate when fans have bad experiences with Benedict. But believe me, I know of at least 2 incidents that are a lot worse than this.
He cannot pose and sign for everybody and I guess that's just one way to make the choices..
More interesting to me in this film was the lovely young man taking photos of Benedict and was that Emily with Benedict?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 28, 2014 7:33 pm  #73

I can´t find the vid I thought I saw, so maybe I just got it wrong at the first view.. but the girl who posted the linked video writes: "@ 1:15 When he saw his photo that I prepared for his autograph. LOL" So she was not offended at all and I don´t see why people should be for her.

besleybean wrote:

He cannot pose and sign for everybody and I guess that's just one way to make the choices..

Exactly..

I don´t know who else was in the video with him except for his PA whom I know by now..^^

March 28, 2014 7:36 pm  #74

Karon is Benedict's agent, I think, and always with him.
Emily is his PA, who doesn't often seem to be allowed on these foreign trips.

Last edited by besleybean (March 28, 2014 7:36 pm)

March 28, 2014 7:44 pm  #75

She is his publicist, she does not work for his agency. 
As far as I know, Emily is his PA, the daughter of his older half-sister. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 28, 2014 7:46 pm  #76

This is so.

March 28, 2014 7:51 pm  #77

Ah okay, thanks Susi! 

March 28, 2014 9:12 pm  #78

Actually he was a bit behaving like a kid, running away from the bad photo. Nobody likes ugly photos of himself... well still not sure why she picked this one...

Last edited by zeratul (March 28, 2014 9:15 pm)

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

March 28, 2014 9:15 pm  #79

I've never seen an ugly photo of Benedict!
Well, other than ones of him smoking.

Last edited by besleybean (March 28, 2014 9:19 pm)

March 28, 2014 9:16 pm  #80

besleybean wrote:

I've never seen an ugly photo of Bendict!
Well, other than ones of him smoking.

yeah I also don't like the smoking thing
well there are soo many good ones, so why pick bad one?

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

Board footera