BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2014 11:18 pm  #21

Re: Are You Crazy?

SpiralStaircase wrote:

I am the most BORING person you're ever likely to meet - ha ha! Sherlock would zone out within a couple of seconds of meeting me.
I am also a big fat coward!! My hubby was once in stitches because I was cautiously walking, like an old lady, down a small incline on holiday once. I'm scared of fairground rides - everything!
That said, I can be very silly, childish, and giggly with the right crowd, So I can be crazy in that sense. Just not daring-crazy!

Me and you are going to get on very well.

My ex told me I am a huge wuss cause ye can give birth no probs but almost pass out at the site of a needle *no tattoo for me then*

I hate winter cause I hate walking on snow & ice.

I am 35 years old and can be rather immature.  Farts & burps are funny no matter what age you are.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

March 28, 2014 12:40 am  #22

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I just remembered a few more things...

In highschool/ college I was a punk chick with a really strange style... but one day I showed up with a bow in my hair and dressed in pink and pretended to be a chav (is that what you call it?) for an entire day. Just because I was bored... 

Once my friends I decided to stand and stare at the sky and point until a few people had gathered and then walked away; leaving them wondering what the heck was there. 

I have a few times been 'accused' of being a transsexual. And a few times I've just turned around, flicked my hair out and batted my eyelashes. and said something like "Well of course darling!".

Another after my own heart-- I used to have a platinum blonde mohawk. :-) Ah, the 80's...

March 28, 2014 7:02 am  #23

Ah! I was a punkette too! But I am quite brave I guess. I ski, I used to scuba dive. But I am not as daring as my son and hubby (they ski things I just won't- trees, jumps & stuff) and my daughter (she rides and used to showjump). 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 28, 2014 7:11 am  #24

Aother punk here, few homemade chains of paper clips and safety pins, short gelled har and shirts and ties and badges...in the style of my hero Tom Robinson, who I met.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 28, 2014 9:55 am  #25

Yay for punkettes! 

Although today I have more of a ' safe secretary style', but I do love going back to the real me when I'm out... especially with my friends! 

My favourite accessories were my chokers; either ones with really long spikes or sweeter lacy ones! 

And I do miss my hair from back then; I had short spikes at the back and really long fringe! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 30, 2014 12:05 pm  #26

Tight, tight drainpipe jeans or black leggings and really baggy mohair sweater. Cannot tell you all how important the tight drainpipes were...no flares!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 30, 2014 12:09 pm  #27

Fabulous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 30, 2014 12:20 pm  #28

Ooh! That does sound fabulous!

I just found the picture of me with that knife from that German class... I'm a bit scared!

Click at your own risk, it's... well jeepers! and, sadly, it was taken before my then friend cut my hair... 
http://s37.photobucket.com/user/M-Jackson-girl/media/thats%20me/Billede024-1.jpg.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 30, 2014 12:25 pm  #29

It's pretty cool that you can dress like that for class. We have so much stricter uniform policy over here.

March 30, 2014 12:29 pm  #30

Here you can dress however you want, as long as you are 'decent'. A friend of mine was once sent home because her top was too short... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 30, 2014 12:30 pm  #31

The only part of the UK I have encountered no school uniform,was when I lived in Shetland.

March 30, 2014 12:52 pm  #32

People in Shetland seem quite laid back. I did my elective placement there for 2 months and loved it. Weather was a bit brutal though. (That may be another reason to consider me a bit crazy. Most of my collegues can't quite comprehend why I would do my elective in the most remote DGH in the UK rather then some nice warm country with a sandy beech. lol).

March 30, 2014 12:57 pm  #33

I know they were talking about school uniforms at my college for a while because bullying was an issue... if you didn't wear certain brands you just weren't good enough. 

I found safety in my syle. I was dressing too weird for people to have anything real to say. xD! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 31, 2014 9:26 pm  #34

I've been scuba diving and surfing....I suppose that's about as wild as I get...

I used to take drugs, but I wouldn't condone or recommend that!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 31, 2014 11:50 pm  #35

When I lived in London, I used to walk up a hill, turn round and run down, spreading my arms, screaming. I cannot really say why I did that. I was bored, it was fun, it was a good way to let go of aggression, and I liked running :D London was generally a good place to be crazy. I miss it.

I went alone to Paris to visit a heavy metal concert next to Moulin Rouge. I then forgot which bus I needed to take and walked home at night without knowing the way. Never again have I had so many offers though I didn't know exactly what kind of offers because I don't speak french... I have a good imagination though :D I was so glad when I was finally home in my hostel!

Here at home, we changed an advertisement of a mobile phone shop. It read "for you" with a ticked box, and "for everyone else" with an empty box next to it. Somehow we didn't like the egoistic message, so we changed the message on all three shops in our town (without damaging anything of course). It took the shop assistants days to realise. Good fun.

Once our town had christmas trees out in November already. We went round at night and put loads of little paper signs up on the trees which read: it's not christmas yet! Those were busy shopping streets, and till christmas the signs were there, and people where reading them and talking about them. It was so much fun watching them

I've also been climbing around a good deal more construction sites than my parents want to know about. Best playgrounds ever. Nothing will keep me away from abandonded empty houses either.

I like hiking in scottish rain, which must mean I'm crazy.

Oh, and once I spent a weekend in a hotel, just to watch Sherlock series 3 live on BBC. Everybody I know considered this as craziness, but I know, it won't count here

"It is what it is."

April 1, 2014 7:36 am  #36

That is some awesome stuff there, Whiskey! I am especially fond of the thing about the Christmas trees!

I've not really crossed that many construction sites myself; but when they were rebuilding the square next to our high school and it was blocking the easy way to the shopping street me and the friends I had then would cross the site almost every day despite the heavy machines and what not. Laziness right there.

One day my mother came to me and asked me how many times that had happened. I tried to act all innocent. But we had been photographed by the local paper. Woopsie! As I remember it, the article was acusing the construction site of not being safe enough. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 7, 2014 8:31 pm  #37

Well this wasn't exactly my doing...

But for the 3rd time in a year now a celeb has walked into me! 

Today my aunt was taking me to have my back X rayed and we made a trip out of it and went sightseeing in this posh little town here in Denmark I've never visited before... lovely place btw, beautiful! I'm talking to my aunt and this guy walks into me. Doesn't say he's sorry and I turn around to look at one of the guys who won the Eurovision in 2000 bringing the show to Denmark the last time... 

The last time was a Reality TV-star whose daughter lived in my building. (They were both from a show about mothers and daughters). I was about to enter the building and she flung the door open in my face... 

The other time was my favourite Danish comedian in a store. he at least mumbled 'sorry'. 

... Next time it has to be Ben! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 11, 2014 4:48 am  #38

"But have you done something crazy? is there something crazy you wish you did, or you might do one day?"

Yes.

@>--,--`--,-------
"She wrapped herself in an enigma. It was the only way to keep warm." - Karen Elizabeth Gordon

April 11, 2014 11:48 am  #39

I've done quite a few things that I'm sure some people would consider crazy. Funnily enough, they've all got to do with my fangirl tendencies.

In my final year in school (year 13), my best friend and I were really into Monty Python. We used to photocopy Monty Python photos and Flying Circus screengrabs or notes with Python quotes and stick them all over the official school pinboard. Not just once, but repeatedly. For weeks on end.

When I barely had my driving license, my best friend and I made my mum's VW Golf into a "Royal Flying Doctors" car (by sticking self-made signs on the driver's and passenger's side doors with see-through packaging tape) and drove 2 hours to a fan meeting for the "Flying Doctors" TV show in Nijmegen that was organized by the Dutch fanclub. Come to think of it, it was almost like cosplaying, because we also dressed up similarly to two of the characters. Mind you, this was before we had Google maps or SatNav or even the internet. I'm still amazed my parents were okay with this.

We repeated this for another fan meeting in Germany a while later, where two of the actors were also in attendance. It was a huge amount of fun!

A year later we booked a flight to Australia to see some of the show's original shooting locations and two of the real Flying Doctor service outposts. We were also given a tour of the warehouse where the production company was storing the by then dismantled sets and props, got to meet four of the actors, and visited the tiny town in the middle of nowhere that stood in for the show's main location. (And of course we saw a whole lot more of Australia while we were at it. We stayed for 8 weeks in total.)

In 2006, two friends and I started our own fansite for a young US actor, Chris Marquette, because the only fansite that existed was being closed by its webmaster. I decided to visit one of those friends in Atlanta for two weeks and officially open the website while I was there. Two days into my visit, we found out Chris was shooting a movie in Atlanta at the exact same time, so we did an insane amount of research to find out where it was shooting. It was an all-girls college on the outskirts of the city, so we drove there on a whim and watched the proceedings.

It's kind of a long story, but due to extenuating circumstances (and lots of luck), we actually got to meet not only Chris but also the movie’s director and spoke to many other people on set. They let us hang out the whole day and we were free to roam about as long as we weren’t in the way. We also got a 20-minute interview with Chris out of it. (Sadly, the movie was never finished as they closed down the shoot about a week later – not exactly sure why, but I think there were funding issues and problems with shooting locations).

About two years later, the three of us (webmasters, I mean) took the geek trip of a lifetime. We flew out to Los Angeles for a week, and instead of doing the usual sightseeing, we had our own, private Joan of Arcadia (TV show cancelled in 2005) reunion tour. We saw a play and a musical with some of the cast and met with them afterwards. We went out to dinner with Michael Welch and his mum. We drove to San Francisco for a day to see Amber Tamblyn at a literature festival and briefly spoke with her. Becky Wahlstrom gave us a backstage interview for our website. We were invited to a private screening of the movie Fanboys (prior to its theatrical release), and the best part was that Chris agreed to meet with us again. He took us out to lunch and later we sat down for two hours in the apartment we had rented for an in-depth interview and exchange of birthday presents. He was really sweet.

What was also really cool was a visit to a sound recording studio. A friend of ours works as a sound editor in LA, and he offered to let us get a peek at what he does in his job. We witnessed a sound editing session of an episode of Bones (I think season 4, I’ve never watched the show), and at one point they even asked us to record a snippet of conversation that they said they might use as background noise in one of the lab scenes. (We looked at the episode when it aired later on, but it’s almost impossible to tell if our dialogue actually made it in...)

That trip was pretty crazy, but also crazy cool. So many great memories!

I did something a little similar last year, actually. Because I wanted to visit Canada on vacation, but I made sure I booked the trip according to a guesstimated shooting schedule of a Canadian TV show I absolutely adore. I had certain connections to people involved in the show, so I was secretly hoping I could finagle a set visit.

Unfortunately, the show was cancelled that year, so that never happened. But... instead I managed to meet with my favourite Canadian crime author (Maureen Jennings), and she also arranged a meeting with another actor I opened a fansite for two years ago -- Peter Outerbridge. We met in a café in a very relaxed atmosphere and basically just geeked out over ReGenesis, Star Trek and, believe it or not, Sherlock for two hours. It was awesome.

But it wasn’t the first time I met with Maureen. Last summer I booked a very short notice weekend trip to Birmingham to attend a Murdoch Mysteries fan meeting just to meet her. I didn’t even really know the show, and I spent several hundred Euros on a plane ticket, rental car and hotel, just for one night with Maureen. But it turned out a super fun trip, and Maureen was wonderful. It was totally crazy, but also totally worth it.

And while I already mentioned ReGenesis, one of my all-time favourite and sadly underrated TV shows, there’s also something slightly crazy around that. The show has four seasons, but only season 1 and 2 ever came out on DVD in the Americas and Europe. The only country in the world that has released seasons 3 and 4 on DVD is Japan. So after much deliberation, I went ahead and ordered the DVDs on amazon.jp.

It was quite an adventure since I had to create an account there because they don’t recognize the global amazon accounts. All I can say is: Thank you, Google Translate! The whole thing cost way more than any sane person should spend on two DVD box sets (shipping costs and import taxes were almost as much as the DVDs themselves), but it worked out well and I’m now a happy TV geek.

And I’m not sure if this counts as crazy, but for two consecutive years I helped organize and run a sci-fi/fantasy/anime convention in Germany. I was a member of the organizational team and pretty much ran the convention office and was one of the overall help-I-have-a-problem! go-to persons during the con. Lots of crazy hours, lots of stress, lots of putting out figurative fires and lots of creative problem solving. It was a true adventure and a learning curve.

So, does that count as crazy, or is it just super geeky?

Oh, and then of course there was that one time when I sent two pairs of wildly coloured socks to a British actor because it seemed like a fun idea.....

Last edited by TeeJay (April 11, 2014 11:50 am)

April 14, 2014 5:07 am  #40

Holy… cow!       

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera