BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2014 7:24 pm  #1

Benedict mentioned on BBC Radio 2

So, my dad listens to Radio 2 on a daily basis, and made me aware of Benedict being mentioned today.

It's a fairly amusing story about how the guest on the show, Caitlin Moran had gone to visit Ben's parents house to do an interview, but ended up trying to get into the wrong house!

Here's the link, and it starts at around 0:54 seconds. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01vg5pc

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

March 18, 2014 12:46 am  #2

Re: Benedict mentioned on BBC Radio 2

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I heard this about 5 minutes ago and I've only just calmed down the laughing enough to type a reply. Poor woman...

March 18, 2014 6:45 am  #3

This is SO funny, I can just imagine him standing there. Now I need to find the interview....

I'm clueing for looks

March 18, 2014 6:51 am  #4

is she a friend of Benedict's? She's got a blooming cheek calling his parents' home a hovel!!;)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 18, 2014 7:01 am  #5

I've just read the interview....it's one of the very best I've read. Brilliant. And confirms his family are fantastic and our Ben is a fruitloop!!

"Oh, shit it's half past chaffinch already! If we get to Barn Owl I'll never get to Bristol in time!!"

Love him SO much.

I'm clueing for looks

March 18, 2014 7:02 am  #6

Caitlin Moran is the 'journalist' who asked those stupid questions regarding fan fiction after the BFI screening of TEH in December.
She made Martin and Benedict read some fan fiction... and the whole fandom went like "What the f***?!".

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 18, 2014 7:02 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 18, 2014 7:39 am  #7

^^ I remember reading about that:/
On the issue of his being a fruit loop:D I mean this is the nicest, most affectionate way - a lot of his eccentricities are fairly typical of kids that have been brought up by "older" parents, I think - hence the "old soul".

And I wish he wouldn't worry about people thinking he's too posh; there's a great saying "the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind" - anyone who judges you on your poshness, or lack of it, isn't worth worrying about!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 18, 2014 7:48 am  #8

I remember that article. Ben was wondering why she was trying to get into Kate Moss' house and Ben's Mum was asking Caitlin Moran to please find him "a bird"

But yes, she lost my love when she pulled that fan fiction stunt at the BFI screening ><

ETA: Here's the link to the article, but it's been made into subscription content so you can't read it all
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/magazine/article3758102.ece

Last edited by Wholocked (March 18, 2014 7:56 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 18, 2014 8:00 am  #9

Aw, poor Ben! I'm sure he doesn't need help to "find a bird" - plenty on here would volunteer

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 18, 2014 8:08 am  #10

Oh I've never heard about that.... What a shame.

I'm a journalist....I used to be on news but now I'm a sports editor. Thankfully I only work on a local level...I used to have dreams of working nationally but when I see what stunts they all pull to get a line, and how low they'll go (see today's Mick Jagger front pages), I know I'm in the wrong job.

Moving away from it soon....I don't wanna be tarred with the same brush.

I'm clueing for looks

March 18, 2014 8:33 am  #11

xD that was hillarious! Thank you, that was a bit of a laugh! I can really imagine the amusement on his face. It may have made the interview easier for him as well, starting out like that.

But that Fan fic stunt, ugh. Not a fan of that... I do love fan fics but honestly if he was ever asked to read any of mine I would die of shame.

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 18, 2014 8:33 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 18, 2014 8:37 am  #12

And it was not only the fan fic thing, apparently she was not very well prepared and repeatedly mentioned some minor mistake in the episode... when let's be honest, there's a lot to talk about in TEH...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 18, 2014 8:46 am  #13

I really believe that journalists and other people who work in the news should at least to their job and their research propper. I used to want to be a journalist myself... (Not that it was a popular thing to say to fellow Michael Jackson fans back then). 

But not all journalists are bad or have bad intentions... some of them just take the easy way out to get a scoop. Which is sad. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 18, 2014 8:56 am  #14

Yes, I was disappointed about CM as her former interviews with Benedict had been so good. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 18, 2014 9:29 am  #15

Research - and never to assume - are the two golden rules of journalism.

Shame once they get a little notoriety themselves they forget that.

I pride myself on not making mistakes. I produce more than 500 pages a year in sport (I work at a weekly) on my own, and I can count on one hand how many "for the record" corrections I have to put in. And often they're not my fault anyway as someone has given me duff info lol!

I'm clueing for looks

March 18, 2014 9:55 am  #16

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I really believe that journalists and other people who work in the news should at least to their job and their research propper.
But not all journalists are bad or have bad intentions... some of them just take the easy way out to get a scoop. Which is sad. 

Oh, there certainly are a lot of very good journalists around, but at the same time the media and press produce so much crap by just not doing their job properly... that really upsets me. I work for a Press Agency and yes, I make mistakes, but I always prepare thoroughly before an interview - and that's really not too much to ask.
I really don't get where fan fic comes into an interview after the screening of a new episode millions of people have been waiting for for two years...! There's so much to talk about!

March 18, 2014 10:34 am  #17

There are good journalists around, and it must be so hard for them to maintain their integrity and still get work because there is so much manipulation of fact, making things up to fit certain agendas, behind the scenes deals with some PR agencies whilst trashing the clients of others - not to mention the intrusion of privacy when people are troubled or grieving. I've not read a tabloid or clicked on the website of one for quite some time now, but I've heard about the Mick Jagger pics this morning; just ugh!
I pity anyone who tries to make their way in journalism now, because it seems such a cut throat, horrible world to move in.

Just on the fan fic stuff, I wonder what on earth CM was thinking? I remember reading one blog that stuck up for her by saying no one would've been outraged if Benedict hadn't stopped reading it and had just gone along with the joke, but surely it shows he's got some sensitivity?
Anyway - I've wandered way off topic (again!).

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 18, 2014 4:36 pm  #18

The interview  with Benedict and his parents last Summer, was the high point in CM's relationship with BBC Sherlock.  It came before her fall.
The most intersting part was Bendict's reply to his Mum's comment about finding him a bird...he said he was doing all right!

Last edited by besleybean (March 18, 2014 4:37 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 18, 2014 5:06 pm  #19

Does anyone have a current link to the CM article? I looked at the old thread for it, but all the links go to expired pages

March 18, 2014 6:00 pm  #20

besleybean wrote:

The interview  with Benedict and his parents last Summer, was the high point in CM's relationship with BBC Sherlock.  It came before her fall.
The most intersting part was Bendict's reply to his Mum's comment about finding him a bird...he said he was doing all right!

Well I'm glad to hear he's doing alright - and so he should be; he's young, free and single - and gorgeous of course:D

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

Board footera