BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2012 2:03 am  #1

Not sleeping properly? (Insanely off topic!)

So lately I've not been sleeping properly. I can usually go to bed, turn off the light and go on the internet before sleeping!  But that stopped working so instead I tried without the web and that doesn't work. So in the end I get bored of laying there and go sherlocking! I can lay there for hours and eventually I get bored.

The problem is I have really bad leg problems and I NEED my sleep to recover and be alright in the morning! Its to late/early to go downstairs to fix a drink.

Also I went to a 13th birthday party and burned off a lot of energy their and that's not helping!!!

Its going to take me hours to go to sleep and then my parents will be waking me up to get "Sherlock" (my fish!)

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get to sleep? Any advice would be appreciated!

- A very tired, Y.S.H!

Last edited by Young Sherlock Holmes (April 14, 2012 2:04 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 14, 2012 2:31 am  #2

Re: Not sleeping properly? (Insanely off topic!)

When I'm tired and cannot sleep, I read. Take whatever book you find boring and read it, each time I fall asleep pretty quickly  : ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

April 14, 2012 3:22 am  #3

Thanks Milkomeda. I tried that before but I just want to keep reading.. I know it sounds strange but I am just really inquisitive! XD
Thanks a lot though Milkomeda! Much appreciated! =)

-Y.S.H

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 14, 2012 6:18 am  #4

Why not go to your mind palace?
In cases I’m bored I try memorizing things that are stored there:
The 50 states of the US, any day of the week/any month mentioned in a Queen song, any animal mentioned in Sherlock, all the capital cities in South America…
Anything except real problems you might have.
Having to think that hard in a cosy bed will always make me tired.
But never think: I’ve got to sleep now!
It won’t work.
Good luck.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 14, 2012 7:13 am  #5

Oh God, I pretty much have the same problem. I drink a lot of Coke (about 6 cans a day) and by the time it gets to night time I'm really hyper and get excited doing Sherlocking. I normally don't have any problem falling asleep once I'm IN bed, because I just sit up on my computer until I can hardly keep my eyes open (normally about 3 or 4 in the morning) then just crash out on the bed. Then I wake up at 7 feeling all hyperactive again. I get tired just after lunchtime but it's kind of too late by then.

Sometimes there'll be a situation where I NEED to be in bed early, say if I'm getting up really early for something in the morning and need to be focused, and if I have problems getting to sleep once I'm in bed, I tend to do what tobeornot suggested - go to your mind palace! For some reason I ALWAYS fall asleep whenever I do that. I just walk round the rooms looking at things and I'm normally asleep by like the 3rd of 4th room and then I normally have dreams set in my mind palace - which is awesome.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 14, 2012 9:24 am  #6

I had a lot of problems sleeping and did some research into "sleep hygiene". Computer and television screens emit a light that tricks your brain into thinking that it's daytime, so getting on the computer to try to get sleep is just not going to work. Reading a book is better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 14, 2012 3:39 pm  #7

Thanks everyone!!! I'll give then  all go. I love going into my mind palace! I do it whilst in lessons when I have finished ! My brains broke down, not literally though I usually have a fast thinking, photographic and logical brain (so I am told!) but due to what I believe if lack of sleep. It's just failing...

I will try both tonight and I hope I get some sleep because then I can do some "geeky" science stuff which is what I love to do other then sherlocking. When  I can actually concentrate...

-Y.S.H

Last edited by Young Sherlock Holmes (April 14, 2012 3:47 pm)

April 14, 2012 5:30 pm  #8

why you don't try drink a warm milk before you go to bed?? it's really helps you to relax. well, the other theory is taking a bath with warm water... it works for me :D

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

April 14, 2012 6:06 pm  #9

I actually had a little nap using the mind palace and it worked straight away!! I baiscally walked aimlessly around a room. Looking at an old wooden desk. Nothing exiting to keep me awake and it worked! =D

I will try a mug of nice hot milk and I'll have a read! Thanks everyone!

-Y.S.H

April 14, 2012 6:32 pm  #10

Nice one! Mind palaces are awesome. I'm thinking of throwing a party in mine.

April 14, 2012 7:00 pm  #11

Lol! Ha ha! =D  yes they are awesome! I threw some people out for disturbing me! =D
What kind of party or would it just be completely random!! =D

- Y.S.H

Last edited by Young Sherlock Holmes (April 14, 2012 7:01 pm)

April 14, 2012 8:02 pm  #12

Well, my mind palace is basically the house where I grew up with extra random stuff so I would have a party with myself and I could probably invite everyone I've ever met and it'd just be a big palace party, and then I could combine all my favourite memories from other parties that I've been to...and then I could make up new weird stuff too...I'm definitley going to try it sometime when I get chance.

April 14, 2012 9:44 pm  #13

Using the Mind Palace is basically a relaxation technique so long as you lead whilst walking around your palace. You can also imagine walking into a nice peaceful garden and all the things you can see there. You definitely should NOT go on the computer or watch loads of tv straight before bed because this makes it hard to go to sleep, the light fro. The screen disrupts our sense of it being nighttime.

Also you are a teenager. It has been proven that teenagers and young adults are in a permanent state of what is like jet lag. Sleeping late in the day and then being awake until the early hours. If it's any consolation you do actually grow whilst you are asleep ( if you are young, not just a middle-age spread adult! Lol)

For those with disrupted sleep patterns it is important to try and reset your body clock. Otherwise it is like you are in jet lag continually. Any one who has had jet lag will know what I mean ( actually my son is still in jet lag from returning from Canada on Tuesday!) . You need to make yourself get up at normal times, even if you are tired, eating at the proper time really helps too.

Avoid caffeinated drinks, certainly after 6pm. Also avoid eating sweet sugary foods late in the day. Try a nice warm bath prior to bedtime. Do not have a late nap in the day. If you do nap it should not really be longer than 1 hour in length.

Remember, different people need different amounts of sleep. Sir Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher, for instance needed very little. However if your lack of sleep affects your ability to function then it is a problem.

Personally, I would say the worse things keeping you awake are stress, when you lie awake worrying a bout things. I now just tell myself there is no point worrying and to put worries into a box and put it away. The other really good way of making you stay awake is to really, really, TRY to go to sleep, this just doesn't work.

Reading a book usually works really well.

Finally, when you sleep try to do this in bed (unless you are on holiday on a sun lounger!) rather than in a chair or on a couch, that way you are conditioned to associate bed with sleep.

Hope this helps!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 15, 2012 11:47 am  #14

Thanks everybody!
Davina: Your post taught me a lot and I have also regained myself due to a 12 hour sleep!
So a big thank-you to everyone who has pitched in and now I'm my old self again! =) =) =)

-Y.S.H

April 15, 2012 3:28 pm  #15

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 15, 2012 3:30 pm  #16

lol

April 15, 2012 5:12 pm  #17

YAY! Well done!

April 15, 2012 5:27 pm  #18

Yay and thanks! Its all because all of you helped me get some sleep!!!! :D

Thanks... again! :D

-Y.S.H

Last edited by Young Sherlock Holmes (April 15, 2012 5:28 pm)

April 15, 2012 9:12 pm  #19

I hadn't read the fan forum all weekend, I am sorry to hear about the trouble sleeping.  I am truly a real doctor (I don't just play one on TV).  I can't give any official advice over the internet, but all the "sleep hygiene" suggestions sound pretty good.  Also, as a doctor, I am very good at confidentiality.  I think what folks have said about stress is right.  It reminds me a bit of something from the Blind Banker.  When Sherlock's friend from the bank mentions "my boss," it's like he just had lunch with him or something.  But, with the recent death in the company, the boss was probably so stressed that he was just trying to keep a low profile.  So, try to relax.  Cheers!

April 15, 2012 10:39 pm  #20

Well, don't think I'll get much sleep tonight...I just had one of those Monster energy drinks. 

Board footera