BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2014 10:20 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock and John - voices in their heads

Willow wrote:

It is, indeed, a beautiful explanation but there is considerable doubt as to whether the slave whispering over and over again 'Remember you are mortal' actually happened. Mary Beard's book on Roman triumphs notes that there's not much in the way of contemporaneous evidence to support it, though I have wondered whether the decision by Roman Emperors to become gods may have been influenced by this. I have always rather liked the story of Vespasian commenting that he appeared to be turning into a god, as his ironic way of acknowledging that he was dying...

The Roman republic was founded after the Romans overthrew their corrupt kings and their society initially had many customs meant to deter possible abuse of power as a result of that. For example, they could make some chosen man a dictator if their republic was endangered by enemies and they gave him an unlimited amount of power with that function, but the actual time such man could hold a position of dictator was limited to six months – Romans knew human character well and they were aware that such person would gradually be accustomed to having power, so they never allowed such thing to last for long. Ancient Greeks and Romans were also quite sceptical about pomp and lavish accolades being bestowed on mere mortals – in the first stages of their civilisation, it would be inconcievable for Romans to worship their rulers as gods. They connected such behaviour with oriental civilisations of Middle East which they percieved as barbarous and inferior.

I therefore think that it′s not just a legend and that such custom really existed – but it didn′t survive the catastrophe after the Roman republic was destroyed by civil war and after Roman Empire was established over the ruins of that republic. That was also the moment of territorial expansion of Roman Empire which brought acceptance of many oriental customs into their civilisation. They accepted the god-worship of their emperors from ancient Persia in the same manner as they accepted mithraism, cult of Isis and Osiris and other oriental religions. Yet the loss of the principles on which their civilisation was built gradually brought decadence and corruption into their government and it ended with the collapse of their world.  

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 13, 2014 2:47 pm  #22

Interesting comments and an interesting scene.
My thoughts were it was a way to show Sherlock was missing John..like Johns dream was to show John missing Sherlock and maybe wider implications.
Sherlocks mind palace John seems to have a what would John do...what would John say..how would John feel function.
I think the jealous?  Comment is Sherlock thinking John would be jealous knowing Sherlock was taking Molly along on a case..and I think Sherlock was later shown to be right about that.
Sherlock is as obsessed with John as John is with Sherlock and Sherlock knows that. I think Sherlock is puzzling out why John isn't there..and how to get him back.

I wonder if Sherlocks lack of comprehension of how his hiatus would affect John..and his unrealistic comments about reuniting with John is because he had "his John" from pre TRF in his mind palace with him the whole time he was away.
He didn't realise John would be so affected until he actually saw him for real , deduced the changes...how aged and haggard John looked @ the restaurant and thus his awkward..not funny not dead prank ensued as his using humour as a way of dealing with his emotions again.

Ultimately I think this leads to Sherlocks understanding of how he hurt John....and the "forgive me John" scene at the end of TEH..and in the other instances we get a glimpse of how mind palace John usually works.

Last edited by lil (March 13, 2014 2:52 pm)

March 13, 2014 3:54 pm  #23

Bear with me; John could sail through life being a popular guy if he made the effort to, he knows how the social world works, his friends 'hate' him becuase he doesn't bother to present himself as charming, he speaks the truth as he sees it and has a dry humour that Sherlock 'gets' eventually. John acts as parent 'you mean, thank you'   ''Do I?''  'Just say it.' ''Thank you.''. He calls Sherlock out on behaviour that does him no favours, 'it wasn't kind' and he consistently acts as the conductor of light from guessing Jennifer Wilson's password 'Rachel' to there was 'a big dog' in Hounds through to the rolling fingers on the lab worktop TRF. John 'knows stuff' intuitively from details as if instinctively- he can read it like a crime scene and Sherlock may have attempted to access Mind Palace John who keeps him right. They are both co-dependent in a good way, neither need to pretend to be nicer people with each other. John has limits to what he'll take off Sherlock and Sherlock calls John out too. They both offer each other constructive criticism and can do so when together but apart Sherlock only has the post graveside John to fall back on for that - sorry about the 'fall back' bit.

I think ' jealous?' is in connection with John having been able to, apparently, move on which I don't think John really did and Sherlock's attempt to move on by having Molly attend the Skeleton investigation and possibly that both he is a little put out that John and Molly can diagnose COD in corpses as in The Speckled Blonde. For John it shows in his dream/s thoughts/memories and the lie in Many Happy Returns 'probably won't watch it' (the dvd) and when he sometimes thinks out loud which is what Sherlock does too. The necessary other half is missing, which both are attempting to compensate for, so we get shown that in those sequences. IMHO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

March 13, 2014 9:22 pm  #24

Morton wrote:

Bear with me; John could sail through life being a popular guy if he made the effort to, he knows how the social world works, his friends 'hate' him becuase he doesn't bother to present himself as charming, he speaks the truth as he sees it and has a dry humour that Sherlock 'gets' eventually. John acts as parent 'you mean, thank you'   ''Do I?''  'Just say it.' ''Thank you.''. He calls Sherlock out on behaviour that does him no favours, 'it wasn't kind' and he consistently acts as the conductor of light from guessing Jennifer Wilson's password 'Rachel' to there was 'a big dog' in Hounds through to the rolling fingers on the lab worktop TRF. John 'knows stuff' intuitively from details as if instinctively- he can read it like a crime scene and Sherlock may have attempted to access Mind Palace John who keeps him right. They are both co-dependent in a good way, neither need to pretend to be nicer people with each other. John has limits to what he'll take off Sherlock and Sherlock calls John out too. They both offer each other constructive criticism and can do so when together but apart Sherlock only has the post graveside John to fall back on for that - sorry about the 'fall back' bit.

I think ' jealous?' is in connection with John having been able to, apparently, move on which I don't think John really did and Sherlock's attempt to move on by having Molly attend the Skeleton investigation and possibly that both he is a little put out that John and Molly can diagnose COD in corpses as in The Speckled Blonde. For John it shows in his dream/s thoughts/memories and the lie in Many Happy Returns 'probably won't watch it' (the dvd) and when he sometimes thinks out loud which is what Sherlock does too. The necessary other half is missing, which both are attempting to compensate for, so we get shown that in those sequences. IMHO.

Best insigt I've seen regarding the "jealous" comment. Nice. :-)

March 13, 2014 9:44 pm  #25

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Morton wrote:

Best insigt I've seen regarding the "jealous" comment. Nice. :-)

Thank you

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

March 14, 2014 12:00 am  #26

I don't think Sherlock is jealous or put out with any scientific knowledge Molly or John may have in their tiny goldfish minds.
Mycroft learnt a whole new language in an hour and spoke it fluently as we saw..and Sherlock said he was slipping.
Mycroft and Sherlock are in a league of their own..Molly provides corpses and lab space..and John guidance on emotional..normal trends of thought which cannot be learnt or simulated by Sherlock himself.
It's pretty obvious that John hasn't moved on despite what Hudders may say..otherwise John wouldn't be so angry and emotional.
I would of quite liked to see some Sherlock is jealous of Mary....but I don't really see that in any of series 03...though we do get a bit of Mary is jealous of Sherlock. (OT)
I do think Sherlock/John have a symbiotic mutually obsessive relationship...but I think Sherlock already knows that..TGG..TRF.TEH .HLV ...Moriarty , Mycroft, Magnusson  Mary all see it...and so3 is about John realising it too.
Sherlock is neither stupid nor oblivious.

Board footera