BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2014 8:00 pm  #121

Re: John Watson in S4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 17, 2014 8:07 pm  #122

And just imagine where Sherlock's and John's hands would be if they weren't in need of holding their hats...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 17, 2014 8:10 pm  #123

Well I thik they look happy..but then I agree with Sherlock about weddings!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 18, 2014 10:22 pm  #124

Oh people will always talk...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 18, 2014 10:29 pm  #125

Yes they do, don't they?!
Back on topic.
What I was going to add:
1. Do we judge peoples whole marriage by their wedding photos?
2. What about John's beautiful speech to Mary in HLV?

July 18, 2014 10:40 pm  #126

I completely agree.

July 18, 2014 11:28 pm  #127

You know, dislike of Mary isn't always about the "need to protect Johnlock". It might just be that Mary-
(1) lied to John from the very beginning of their relationship
(2) Shot John's best friend, knowing what that would do to John 
(3) Continued to lie to John, knowing about his trust issues and PTSD
(4) Never apologized for any of this

Now. If you love John-- why would you want him married to such a person? Doesn't John deserve better ? 
Just saying. 

As for John, I want him to finally take responsibility for his own feelings. Whether he remains friends with Sherlock or not. 

Yes, I think John and Mary look happy at the wedding, and why not? John had NO IDEA who he married, and what the fallout of that decision was going to be. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (July 18, 2014 11:30 pm)

July 19, 2014 7:33 am  #128

But the point is, Mary is not undercover NOW.
John knows all about her and has fully embraced her...at least he knows she's a fake, former assassin and shot his best friend...
Enough to be going on with for now, don't you think?
Why aren't we respecting John's decision?
Do we think there is more to it?

July 19, 2014 8:23 am  #129

Mouse wrote:

I thought they were very cute together, with a warm, genuine, comfortable relationship. I know a lot of fans think John to be the more emotional one in the friendship, but I see little evidence of that (TRF nothwithstanding). He comes off as rather reserved to me, so I didn't expect him to be the kind of boyfriend/husband who would appear wildly passionate. But that's just my opinion.

There is a difference in not being able to talk about emotions and not being emotional. IMO he is actually very emotional with loads of his decisions being ruled by emotions (like when he knoks the chief intendent or when he goes away after the dispute with Sherlock in TGG or when he comes back to 221b in TEH, when he tries to lie on Sherlock about Irene and so so many times). He speaks very seldom about what he feels about, his face do the talking - even on tarmac where a lot of pepople see him as very emotionless and cold towards Sherlock, one can observe from his body language how much he is under stress. He mirrors especially the distress at the distress of the other in room, be Molly at Christmas party or Sherlock at New Year. 

July 19, 2014 8:28 am  #130

besleybean wrote:

John knows all about her and has fully embraced her...at least he knows she's a fake, former assassin and shot his best friend...

Because i don't see that he fully embrace her. He even tells her that he is still angry. And yeah, i think there is much more to it. 

July 19, 2014 9:24 am  #131

A lovely light wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Because i don't see that he fully embrace her. He even tells her that he is still angry. And yeah, i think there is much more to it. 

Furthermore (and I don't actually know what we think, I only know what I think), John says himself that he chose his words very carefully, which to me means that he's not fully speaking from his heart but from his mind. If he truly wants to stay with Mary just like that (which I am still not convinced of, I expect and hope for some more explaining in the upcoming episodes), in my opinion he is mostly doing this because of the baby.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 19, 2014 9:31 am  #132

nakahara wrote:

John′s behaviour in HLV stirred much controversy among fans of the show. He was almost accused of being heartless. So what are your sugestions – what should John do in S4 to be redeemed in your eyes?

In my opinion:

John should stop whining „Sherlock, do you have a plan?“ when something misfires and he should concieve a plan of his own when such thing happens. He looks ridiculous when he follows Sherlock into dangerous situations willingly and then, when a problem arises, he demands from his friend „solve everything quickly, it′s your doing that I′m in this mess“. He is an adult man and he knew well what he is getting into, it doesn′t suit him to be so whiny.

It would be really good if John saved Sherlock from danger or protected him in the same BAMFy manner as canonical John Watson saves and protects Sherlock Holmes in „Devil′s Foot“ and in „Illustrious Client“.

When confronted with the mysterious new Moriarty, John should abandon his ostrich tendencies, learn the truth about TRF and acknowledge that Sherlock′s fake suicide was at least party intent on saving his life and the lives of Lestrade and Mrs. Hudson.

Since John′s marriage with Mary Morstan (who doesn′t legally exist) is null and void, he should marry Sherlock secretly.

I sense a lot of dissatisfaction with John. Don't we like John? I have to say I do. John when through 2 years of the worst kind of pain because Sherlock didn't trust him with sensitive information. Saying John isn't good at lying and he'd blow the whole thing is really petty in comparison to what he went through. And it's clear Sherlock didn't realize that from TEH. He thought it was a joke in some respects. Sigh, but that's okay. He's Sherlock.
Well, John still doesn't know everything about Mary because he supposedly destroyed the memory stick. There are few reasons not to respect John's decision, I guess. It's a fishy relationship. There's not a lot of feels between them, she spazed out in the last episode, and the way she was salvaged was weird. It leaves room for more to the story I think.

July 19, 2014 10:01 am  #133

Whereas of course the 2 years was a picnic for Sherlock?
But yes, I know what you mean!
Of course there is much room for the story to develop in any number of ways...not much point to a cliffhanger episode otherwise.
But this does not mean John and Mary don't love each other...but we don't know about Mary yet.

July 19, 2014 1:35 pm  #134

besleybean wrote:

2. What about John's beautiful speech to Mary in HLV?

IMO that speech was everything but beautiful. It was stilted and did not include phrases like "I forgive you". (But then, Mary did not say she was sorry once.) And I still don't know what to make of John's face when embracing her after his speech. It definitely did not show happiness or relief.

Mouse wrote:

What I was commenting on was the over-analysis of a wedding photo taken before any of Mary's misdeeds came to light and, indeed, before Amanda Abbington herself knew the character's true background (they even kept her in the dark until it was time to film HLV). That definitely feels like a reach and smacks of "wishful johnlocking" IMHO.

I don't agree. The photos were taken before the actors knew about the chafacter developement. But it is really easy for a producer to say "We are shooting the wedding pics now, but please don't lean towards each other." Where's the problem?

What bothers me here, Mouse, is something that was written in several other treads before. Sorry for repeating it, but I'm still waiting for a satisfying response ...
What I mean is, "Johnlockers" come up with loads of character metas and screen shots and analysises of backgroung music and illuminations to proof their point, or at least to stress what they mean. They interpret the show with the same methods for text interpretation you learn at university.
I am still waiting for a non-Johnlocker to show me equally well researched material to proof their point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 19, 2014 1:50 pm  #135

'eye sex'?!

July 19, 2014 2:03 pm  #136

I agree, Schmiezi. And reducing all the interpretative work it to eye sex is a bit sad in my opinion.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 19, 2014 2:14 pm  #137

I'm still rooting for shirtless John in S4.  With a scene in his bedroom wtih a pair of red pants tossed on the bed for good measure.

*crawls back to corner clutching Watson Bear*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 19, 2014 4:32 pm  #138

And also, I think wedding photos in general are the most unnatural pictures I see.
I hardly think it's suprising that ones in a TV show look a tad stilted.
Back on topic.
Obviously I don't know, but I'm assuming that May will die at some point...tho possibly not next series.
How and why she will die, I don't know.
Maybe it will turn out she wa still lying to John and maybe she is a plant...I don't know.
But from what we have seen in the show, declarations,tears, hugs etc...John and Mary appear to love each other.
Now John knows he's taken a hell of a lot on and he knows it isn't going to be easy.
But for whatever reason, he has decided to give that marriage a 2nd chance.
I do wonder why a whole episode was given to the Wedding...sign of it's significance?

Last edited by besleybean (July 19, 2014 4:33 pm)

July 19, 2014 5:09 pm  #139

They are unclear in Canon and it was while Sherlock was away...
They could get out of John being devastated again though, if it turns out Mary still has secrets..
But heartbreak makes for good TV, I suppose!

Last edited by besleybean (July 19, 2014 5:10 pm)

July 19, 2014 6:22 pm  #140

Well, I am on holiday and so I do not have the chance to answer as often as I would wish. Just some random thoughts: 

Mouse - it is not just feel and think when talking about Johnlock. Let me make only one point. I know it has been said before but I am going to repeat it anyway. Mary never tells John that she loves him. She is his wife, they are supposed to have married out of love and she never once says she loves him, either directly or indirectly. Not once. True, she says she does not want to lose his love, that she is afraid he may stop loving her after he knows about her past. But this is about her, not about him and his wellbeing and happiness.

We have three characters and two of them tell each other that they love each other (one of them in front of a whole wedding party). The third one does not. And this is no subjective interpretation or wishful thinking but plain fact. Moffat, Gatiss, and Thompson chose not to make Mary say those words and to not to act like a woman who loves her husband (by not shooting his best friend, by saying sorry only once, by not lying to him repeatedly, maybe by not inviting her ex to her wedding just to fill up the pews in church). 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 19, 2014 6:24 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera