BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2014 3:48 pm  #81

Re: John Watson in S4

Yes, solar, and I'll be gnawing my remote control!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 8, 2014 3:52 pm  #82

I mean, you've already said it, mrshouse: soapy soap nightmares would come true. That would definitely not be show I've signed up for.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 8, 2014 4:08 pm  #83

Sorry, but I am a bit shocked. We are talking about Sherlock, not about a family soap. I love having family and kids in real life but this is not what the show is about. At least not for me. It is about a detective and his best friend, not about a detective and his best friend and his wife and their child and maybe their dog.
And to keep an actress in just because she is good friends with the creators - really, they are professionals. I can only hope that this is not the basis for their decisions as writers. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 8, 2014 4:08 pm  #84

Tinks wrote:

My feeling is that Moftiss have no intention of writing Amanda out - not least because Martin and Amanda seem particularly friendly with Mark, and I just think she'll be kept on board, as part of the "family".

What exactly makes you "feel" that?
I think they are more professional, so..... this really shouldn't be the reason.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 8, 2014 4:12 pm  #85

SusiGo wrote:

I love having family and kids in real life but this is not what the show is about. At least not for me.

And it wasn't for ACD, either, I would say. This would be so far away from canon... pretty ridiculous, if you ask me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 8, 2014 4:19 pm  #86

Mattlocked wrote:

Tinks wrote:

My feeling is that Moftiss have no intention of writing Amanda out - not least because Martin and Amanda seem particularly friendly with Mark, and I just think she'll be kept on board, as part of the "family".

What exactly makes you "feel" that?
I think they are more professional, so..... this really shouldn't be the reason.

I could imagine what @Tinks wanted to point out is that just everybody in the Mofftissfamily speaks so fondly of the development the show took with Mary. In my opinion this would be the nepotism a bit too overstrechted if this was the only reason to keep Amanda in the picture and it would belittle her as an actress. If casting her was genius is another discussion, I rather feel it wasn't, not because I don't like Amanda, she's pretty cool, no doubt, but for this part in the end it feels dull for me. And it distracts from the two leads and their work.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 8, 2014 4:29 pm  #87

mrshouse wrote:

Yes, solar, and I'll be gnawing my remote control!

Ah! I always wondered how to express that feeling in english, now I know! Thanks :D (sorry for being ot)

"It is what it is."

May 8, 2014 4:54 pm  #88

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry, but I am a bit shocked. We are talking about Sherlock, not about a family soap. I love having family and kids in real life but this is not what the show is about. At least not for me. It is about a detective and his best friend, not about a detective and his best friend and his wife and their child and maybe their dog. 

You know what? I'm shocked too!

I mean the show is about Sherlock. But from the natural progression of the show, what did everyone think was going to happen? Sherlock was gone for two years and John was left damaged. Mary came into his life and helped him while Sherlock played dead for two years. Mary changed the dynamic of the show before it became stale(I mean, seriously, John was going to have to someday move on with his life). Now, I understand about the baby. I didn't like the idea. That's a bit much, but since it is here, we will just have to wait and see what the writers' pull. I agree with that. 

But honestly, all this talk of soap opera stuff with Mary and the baby, I just think people are jumping the gun. This can actually add more depth to all three characters if done right. 

I'm giving it a chance before I "throw my remote towards the screen". Already done that with most of Series 3. XD

That's all I'm saying. People can keep hoping for the days of Sherlock and John by themselves, but I think people will be waiting for awhile like Series 5 before that happens. 

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 8, 2014 5:05 pm)

May 8, 2014 6:33 pm  #89

"I mean, seriously, John was going to have to someday move on with his life)"

I politely disagree.   I have no problem seeing John and Sherlock growing old together.  In my opinon John was never happier than in his life with Sherlock.   I agree with Sherlock's theory that John only thinks he wants a normal life with a wife and kids and a house in the suburbs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 8, 2014 6:39 pm  #90

I would phrase that slightly differently.
I think Sherlock recognises John's personal wants of wife and kids.
John fools himself that he wants the nice, 'normal' wife at home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 8, 2014 7:51 pm  #91

@tonnaree: I meant that John had to move on when he thought Sherlock was dead. Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anyone there. =)  

besleybean wrote:

I would phrase that slightly differently.
I think Sherlock recognises John's personal wants of wife and kids.
John fools himself that he wants the nice, 'normal' wife at home.

LOL! Yes! John wants to have his cake and eat it too, but just looking at him in HLV. He thought he wanted a normal life, but look how quickly and eager he was to crash that drug den. He was looking for a fight. 

Even Sherlock was getting worried about him! 

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 8, 2014 7:53 pm)

May 8, 2014 7:54 pm  #92

"LOL! Yes! John wants to have his cake and eat it too, but just looking at him in HLV. He thought he wanted a normal life, but look how quickly and eager he was to crash that drug den. He was looking for a fight. 

Yes, but it was a tiny bit sexy.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 8, 2014 8:01 pm  #93

I honestly don't get this...
How could anybody find anything in the scenario the least bit sexy?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 8, 2014 8:03 pm  #94

Ask Mary, she would know, she was there and said it.

May 8, 2014 8:11 pm  #95

I know...I'd have left her then!

May 8, 2014 8:44 pm  #96

Ok, shall we give the last episode of Series 4 the preliminary title of: "The Captain's Choice (between his wife and his partner in crime)" in reference to the ACD short-story (which I haven't read myself yet)?

I would just find it more interesting if John deliberately left Mary to go back to Sherlock rather than just having her die...

May 8, 2014 8:58 pm  #97

Honestly, I would prefer him to leave her as well. 

And to quote Moffat (not brand new, I know):

What Mark and I say on every single occasion that people can’t stop us is that it’s not a detective show—it’s a show about a detective. 
There’s plenty of detection in it, but that’s not what it’s about. 
It’s about the hero.”

(not about the and his best friend and his wife and the baby who go detecting) 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 8, 2014 9:06 pm  #98

SusiGo wrote:

Honestly, I would prefer him to leave her as well.

Same here. And first and foremost because in my opinion she deserves some sort of punishment... until now there have been practically no consequences for her. And yes, I know, Sherlock is a murderer, John is a murderer... but at this point it seems that Mary only was at the receiving end and did not give one bit to John or Sherlock in return. Sorry, but if this continues in S4, it just won't work for me.

May 8, 2014 9:08 pm  #99

One thing I learnt about this show during the course of Series 3 was that I should never try to second guess the plots and to basically expect the unexpected. Just as you think you can predict what is going to happen, they turn it all on its head. I literally have NO IDEA what to expect from this show anymore, which excites me more than anything. However, I put my trust and my faith in the makers of Sherlock to deliver something good. Whatever they decide; whether they keep Mary or not, whether they keep the child or not; whatever avenue they choose to go down, I know for a fact that they will make it work within their world and will make it good. It's just about everyone else having to accept their decisions when they have their own ideas and hopes already mapped out in their minds. Everyone's a critic...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 8, 2014 9:53 pm  #100

Agreed. It's all down to what the writers decide and it's utterly pointless to give in to speculation... but who cares? We all do wonder.

Part of me is convinced that the cast & crew have talks about what they should lie about or deny, so interviews aren't much to go on. But the one thing that's been clear from the beginning is that the show is about Sherlock and his relationship with John. So it's not going to focus on John and Mary's relationship for much longer.

The baby's life will come under threat at least once, probably in the next series. Maybe Sherlock will sell it to the labs in Baskerville to see if it can grow wings or glow in the dark.

Board footera