BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2015 4:03 pm  #181

Re: John Watson in S4

Dorothy83 wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I can't picture John adopting the baby away. That would make him look (rightly so) like a horrible father. Who adopts their baby away just so that they can continue running around solving crimes? That's the best (worst?) example of being selfish and irresponsible, and would probably divide the fanbase even more when it comes to John. That to me would be far, far worse than anything else he has ever done.

well, in XFiles Scully gives her beloved baby up for adoption (the baby she had been dreaming of having) because she realises that he would be in danger living with her since she has people after her (and after the baby too).
So likewise, if Mary is killed by someone from her past, John could really easily conclude that those people might come back for the baby too and would never want her to die as well, so the wisest option would be to give her away to someone preferably living in another continent That wouldn't make him a horrible father at all.

However story-wise then the baby wouldn't make any sense, if they give her away so quickly, plus the baby would loom over the rest of the show like a ghost so I don't think that's how it's going to go.

I agree -- I don't think putting a baby up for adoption when (a) you realize you're not cut out to be a parent, or (b) Mary's enemies, Sherlock's enemies-- and now, John's enemies could try to use the baby as leverage-- most likely over Sherlock--   That's responsible, not being a horrible father!

September 1, 2015 4:35 pm  #182

Vhanja wrote:

Dorothy83 wrote:

well, in XFiles Scully gives her beloved baby up for adoption (the baby she had been dreaming of having) because she realises that he would be in danger living with her since she has people after her (and after the baby too).
So likewise, if Mary is killed by someone from her past, John could really easily conclude that those people might come back for the baby too and would never want her to die as well, so the wisest option would be to give her away to someone preferably living in another continent That wouldn't make him a horrible father at all.

However story-wise then the baby wouldn't make any sense, if they give her away so quickly, plus the baby would loom over the rest of the show like a ghost so I don't think that's how it's going to go.

Yeah, if that was a real danger, that would be a different situation. However, for John to ever be in that situation, I reckon Mary would be dead. And if she was dead, then her enemies wouldn't be after John anymore, would they?

But I agree, it seems a bit far-fetched and would change the focus of the story entirely.

yes of course, Mary would be dead, otherwise why would he put the baby up for adoption?
Whoever went after Mary could easily be after the baby as well - and after John. Let's face it, by marrying a former paid assassin who has lots of people out for revenge on her, John has got himself into lots of trouble - regardless of whether CAM is alive or not - yes, CAM would have given out information on her, but people can find her even without his help.
And I'm surprised Sherlock, the person who freaks out if anybody even threatens to harm John, pushed John into staying with her instead of getting the hell out of the situation. Anyway, that's a different topic.

I really don't think the baby will be born - or rather, it shouldn't, because then 1-it will be way more difficult to get rid of it and 2 - if they don't get rid of it, it will turn the show into something it isn't supposed to be.

September 1, 2015 5:36 pm  #183

I think John´s sister Harry would be cured of alcoholism and would take John´s daughter into her home, to raise her as her own. This would enable little Sheryl to remain a part of Watson´s family and to have contact with her father. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 1, 2015 5:42 pm  #184

Sheryl, lol. Although to be honest I don't know how likely we are to have that.

Clueing for looks.

September 1, 2015 5:48 pm  #185

Well, that suburban house is built on quicksand, not stone-- and I suspect it's going to get sucked into the abyss in the coming season...

September 2, 2015 1:48 pm  #186

but what would be the point of that child then? Just to be something that they will have to use (waste?) script lines on, because otherwise John will appear as the horrible father who shipped his kid off and doesn't care about her?

In my opinion that kid has no purpose and will go - as per "canon".

September 2, 2015 3:01 pm  #187

Oh yes, I don't want the child just to be something that appears and disappears for little reason.  It's just hard to say which direction it could go and how exactly John will be affected.  We can speculate, though.  Personally, I am looking forward to seeing what happens.  I want to see how the addition of a child in John's life could change things, but without the show changing too much overall that it becomes something it shouldn't be, but I trust that not to happen.

Clueing for looks.

September 2, 2015 3:19 pm  #188

Thing is, I don't think we'll see the child much, or if we do it won't be for long - though I still reckon it'll be easier for them to kill an unborn baby then one that's been born already. For me, there is only one way that can go - the death of Mary & child will be what pushes John back into Sherlock's arms - and back to how it should be with both of them in Baker Street.

September 2, 2015 5:11 pm  #189

And after they survive all the trama, John and Sherlock will take a lovely vacation to Sussex where Janine will let them use her cottage.  Sherlock will spend hours playing the violin while John chops wood, shirtless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 2, 2015 5:11 pm  #190

Possibly, but I don't think we can say for sure.  I don't know how great of a plot device that would be and I'd expect something a little more inventive or unexpected.

Clueing for looks.

September 2, 2015 5:15 pm  #191

tonnaree wrote:

And after they survive all the trama, John and Sherlock will take a lovely vacation to Sussex where Janine will let them use her cottage.  Sherlock will spend hours playing the violin while John chops wood, shirtless.

So this will be the moment you start throwing confetti, running around with not much on, etc., etc.? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2015 6:09 pm  #192

SusiGo wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

So this will be the moment you start throwing confetti, running around with not much on, etc., etc.? 

Who me?
Would I do such a thing?

*giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 2, 2015 9:51 pm  #193

I'm hoping to get the old John back in S4; I wanted to wring his neck by the end of HLV. I want to see him and Mary have an argument or two, because I can't see them having a happy ending and I think John was starting to kid himself in Appledore when Magnussen taunted him about Mary; there was a certain desperation there. I want him to do something good by Sherlock - acknowledge how much he's done for him (faked his death, took his beatings, forgave Mary and shot Magnussen) and just try and be a good friend.

But, given in the books Watson himself admits that he drifted away from Holmes for a while, well... *shrugs* I dunno, I just want things to be better between them. 

September 2, 2015 10:56 pm  #194

I'm seriously wondering if Mofftiss is gonna do something in s4 that results in a (seemingly) unbreachable gulf between John and Sherlock to be resolved by the end of season 5....  I'd hate it, but its something I can see them doing, darkest season and all that....

September 3, 2015 9:40 am  #195

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I'm seriously wondering if Mofftiss is gonna do something in s4 that results in a (seemingly) unbreachable gulf between John and Sherlock to be resolved by the end of season 5.... I'd hate it, but its something I can see them doing, darkest season and all that....

They already were separated for 2 years and in a fight after the fall. I don't think Mofftiss will do that again. I think s4 will be about them sorting out the 'consequences' together - the consequences obviously having to do with Mary and Moriarty.

September 3, 2015 5:51 pm  #196

I did wonder something very similar myself, Raven, but I certainly hope not! 

September 7, 2015 1:43 am  #197

Dorothy83 wrote:

Thing is, I don't think we'll see the child much, or if we do it won't be for long - though I still reckon it'll be easier for them to kill an unborn baby then one that's been born already. For me, there is only one way that can go - the death of Mary & child will be what pushes John back into Sherlock's arms - and back to how it should be with both of them in Baker Street.

I agree.  And it seems to me that it would add more drama if Mary and her unborn child were killed in an accident, and if John was nearly killed in that same accident.  And what if it was not an accident, but an attempt on their lives?

September 7, 2015 9:17 am  #198

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I'm seriously wondering if Mofftiss is gonna do something in s4 that results in a (seemingly) unbreachable gulf between John and Sherlock to be resolved by the end of season 5.... I'd hate it, but its something I can see them doing, darkest season and all that....

I think this would be a very dangerous thing to do. It would be dark, definitely, but I'm not sure you can do something like this in a show that only gives you three new episodes every two or now even three years. The show is about a detective and his blogger, the chemistry between Benedict and Martin as Sherlock and John is so vital to the show... It might work for some people to go through that much hurt, but I can definitely say that I'm in urgent need of some comfort after S3. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 7, 2015 10:09 am  #199

Where can I sign that?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 7, 2015 11:59 am  #200

kgreen20 wrote:

Dorothy83 wrote:

I agree.  And it seems to me that it would add more drama if Mary and her unborn child were killed in an accident, and if John was nearly killed in that same accident.  And what if it was not an accident, but an attempt on their lives?

I think if that happened (John also nearly losing his life because of people that are after Mary) it would make Sherlock's decision to push John back to Mary sound really foolish indeeed.

Board footera