BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2014 12:38 pm  #1

Tattoos

Lets talk tattoos! Do you have any; do you want some? If not, why not? 

These are the two I have... the second is one I regret a bit, but I got it for good reasons. And it wasn't the artist I had booked who made it... she was still in training and it shows! I might have it altered when I can afford it! 

I also really want a shamrock somewhere; a TARDIS and I might get something Sherlock or Benedict related in the future... and of course I'm getting Hello Kitty too! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 10, 2014 12:52 pm  #2

Re: Tattoos

I would love love a tattoo but I really don't want to rush into ig, I want it t be of something that I've sat down and thought about and put so much meaning to it.

I've always wanted a quote tattoo, and quote that's got me through my life, that was always said by a member of my family that's no longer here.

But then is also love something to show my fun side, so something of my interests....Sherlock. ;)

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

March 10, 2014 1:04 pm  #3

I have around 7 tattoos so far.
Have to look for some pics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 10, 2014 1:34 pm  #4

I have nothing against tattoos but I wouldn't want one myself. Just my personal preference.
My sister has some lovely ones though. 4 at the last count.

March 10, 2014 1:43 pm  #5

Don't have any, personally don't want any. I think it has to do with the fact that there's such a finality to having something etched into your skin for the rest of your life that I don't want to commit to it. I'm not sure there's anything in my life that qualifies for that kind of commitment.

I've seen tattoos that are beautiful and lovely, but I'm not a fan of the ones that span large amounts of skin surface. And, well, not all of them are beautiful. It's also kinda silly that things like those lower back tattoos have become more a fashion than anything. In Germany we call them "arse antlers" (Arschgeweih).

Last edited by TeeJay (March 10, 2014 1:43 pm)

March 10, 2014 1:46 pm  #6

I have wanted to get a tattoo before, but I am a huge baby when it comes to pain. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 10, 2014 1:56 pm  #7

Right. Found some pics.

And this is e memorial tattoo ... for my dad ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

March 10, 2014 2:19 pm  #8

Gently those are gorgeous! I love the shadow work on these! 

I don't think anyone should get tattoos without a lot of thought. granted the last one I got a bit too quick... it could have been a lot nicer if not for the inexperienced artist. ugh! 

I once met this little girl at a bus stop and she was admiring my rose. I think she was only 10 and she told me she really wanted one like it. And elderly lady was giving me weird looks... I told the little girl that tattoos are a great thing; but they hurt to have done and you have to know it will always be there. I made her promise me not to get a real tattoo before she was 18 and knew exactly what she wanted on her skin... that girl was adorable! 

I would personally never get a tattoo with an image or symbol I that didn't mean the world to me. I wanted my rose since I was 14, and I knew exactly why I wanted it and that it should have that drop of blood. I have always been interested in black roses and Gothic symbols... and it always makes me smile when people get it the wrong way round. They all say how cute the rose is and how sad the drop of blood is. The rose is actually a symbol of 'death and goodbyes' but in a beautiful form I suppose... the drop of blood is that little sign of life and vitality in all the blackness 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 10, 2014 2:20 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 10:06 am  #9

I really want a Sherlock or Benedict inspired tattoo some day. I am going to give it a lot of thought of course; but both the show and Ben has come to mean a lot to me; it's changed me in a way I suppose.

But what on earth would I get? I would be a little scared to get a portrait done; it's easy to mess up for the artist... but what would you get? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 10:14 am  #10

I have a small tattoo at my ankle inspired by my favourite band. I needed around 25 years to decide what to choose. I certainly want something connected to Sherlock or Benedict. But actually I am a "dedicated" fan since 6 months only. That decision definitely needs more time.

(Tony Hadley)

March 15, 2014 10:30 am  #11

It's not even been 3 months for me. But really it has changed my life... I would love to mark that! But it will be ages before I can afford ink; so I doubt it will be a rushed decision. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 10:36 am  #12

I won't need another 25 years for this decision. Sure about that. 
I think it's going to be a small "ankle-thing" again. We will see.

(Tony Hadley)

March 15, 2014 1:02 pm  #13

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I really want a Sherlock or Benedict inspired tattoo some day. I am going to give it a lot of thought of course; but both the show and Ben has come to mean a lot to me; it's changed me in a way I suppose.

But what on earth would I get? I would be a little scared to get a portrait done; it's easy to mess up for the artist... but what would you get? 

His initials, something in code you alone can understand, a magnifier and/or deerstalker, his silhouette like on our banner.. just some first ideas!

I often like beautiful or meaningful tatoos on other people (and the right tatoo on the right man can look very sexy), but for myself I´m uncomfortable with the thought of any kind of body modification..

March 15, 2014 1:09 pm  #14

Yes! His silhouette!! That way I can get both Sherlock and Benedict on my skin! That is perfect!! Thank you! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 1:22 pm  #15

You´re most welcome!  Glad you like the idea..

Last edited by Zatoichi (March 15, 2014 1:23 pm)

March 15, 2014 1:36 pm  #16

I think I might get it on my collar bone sometime... aaw!

Actually my heart tattoo is 'secretly' dedicated to Michael Jackson. I've been a fan of him since I was 14 and I got the tattoo a week after he died. But it's also my nickname... I don't know why but I've never been into getting other people's initials tattoed on you (Unless its your children) because I guess your feelings for people can change a million times... but each to their own. I don't judge. and I don't judge people who don't want tattoos or other body-modifications. It's your body!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 3:06 pm  #17

I like the look of tatoos on other people. My partner has a couple. I sometimes toy with an idea of getting my own but fear of needles puts me off.

I quite like this one, although maybe not in that particular place.

March 15, 2014 3:12 pm  #18

That is such a beautiful tattoo! And I bet it has a great story too! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

March 15, 2014 3:17 pm  #19

I have to say I am not a fan of tattoos, though yes, I have seen some lovely ones.
My daughter went against our wishes and got one.
It's fine where it is(back hip/waist area) and is rather nice.
It's the detail from her favourite Dali(she's very arty)painting, though I can't remember the title of the pictue.
But it's a growth emerging from a seed.
I actually didn't think it was too dear, either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 3, 2014 12:05 pm  #20

One of my cousins was addicted to tattoos in his late teens/early twens and since I always looked up to him (I'm five years younger than him and always thought he's soooo cool ), I decided I would get my own tattoo as soon as I came of age.

Well, when I was 19 and studying in Hastings (UK), I found a pretty image of an 'eye of horus' in a tattoo parlour in the old town and couldn't resist. It's small, black and on my left shoulder blade where I can easily hide it away should the need arise.

Generally, I prefer small, black tattoos to big, colourful ones, but that's just a matter of taste really. As long as it suits the person and their style and they have given the image they'd like to have inked on their skin for the rest of their lives enough thought, everything's fine.

And I'm very happy I didn't get addicted to the whole tattoo thing myself. I never felt the urge to have another one done.

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

Board footera