BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2014 10:15 am  #1

What are your top 10 Must-See Benedict movies/TV shows?

This question is purely egoistic, since I'm sure I have a lot of catch up on in terms of Benedict's work. And I think it would be fun to just buy a few things to watch on the couch-slouch days. So, what are your top 10 must-see Benedict projects?

(Just for the record, I've already seen/listened to Sherlock, Star Trek, 12 Years a Slave, The Fifth Estate, The Hobbit, Inseparable, Little Favour, Starter for 10, Cabin Pressure -- and I'm gonna see Osage County in the cinema today. Third Star is at the top of the to-watch list since I already have a copy.)

March 9, 2014 10:23 am  #2

Re: What are your top 10 Must-See Benedict movies/TV shows?

I'm trying to catch up on all his stuff myself, but he's absolutely fantastic in Hawking.
You might like Fortysomething if you can get hold of it - it did have a great cast but I didn't think the role stretched him much to be honest.
He was very good in the play Turning Point and as Van Gogh - I think both of these might be available on You Tube.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 9, 2014 10:34 am  #3

I saw the Wreckers DVD on amazon, I wonder if that's any good. I'm tempted to buy Parade's End and The Last Enemy. Fortysomething, I can buy on amazon, so I might just do that. The others will require some more research. Hawking should also not be such a huge problem. Oh, and I realized I actually have Creation somewhere too, which was given to me by a friend but I never watched it. Guess now I have a very good reason.

March 9, 2014 10:43 am  #4

I wasn't keen on Creation to be honest, but that might be just me - Benedict's part in it is tiny though.
I think Fortysomething and Hawking might be available on YouTube if you can access it,
For me, of the work I've seen I'd say Hawking is the one not to be missed, though I've missed out on Third Star and Frankenstein so far.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 9, 2014 10:48 am  #5

If I can buy the movie/show and it comes recommended, I will buy it rather than watch it on YouTube. It gets a bit more complicated when it's something where I'm not sure I'm gonna like it, which is when I start thinking about whether I really want to spend 10+ EUR on it... Hawking sounds like a wonderful movie, so I will definitely spend the 15 EUR. (We're getting our yearly bonus at work this month, so I'm, like, "Yay, I have money. It needs to be spent!")

In terms of Creation, I think I'd mostly watch it for the movie itself rather than Benedict, since I have a Master's degree in biology, so the subject matter holds a special kind of interest. To be honest, the only reason I haven't watched it yet was because I had totally forgotten I even had it.

Last edited by TeeJay (March 9, 2014 10:49 am)

March 9, 2014 10:55 am  #6

You can see all of Hawking on YouTube and it is VERY good indeed. I can also recommend Third Star very highly - I've mentioned it on the other threads many times because it resonated with me, so so strongly. I cannot tell you the last time a film moved me so much. Yes I cried, I think that's just the natural response to the storyline, but it has made me re-evaluate my life. That's how affecting it is.

YouTube also has almost all of The Last Enemy on there, that's not bad at all, the plot is a little ridiculous at times (IMO) but Ben's performance carries it through.

Wreckers is a strange strange film. Not a lot of dialogue at all, and I still haven't decided whether Ben's character, David, was good or bad. I will say no more. But it's definitely worth it for topless shots lol.

LOVED Ben in August Osage County. Little Charles could have a film all about him, his part is just too small to be honest. But the play is woman-led and so I suppose all the men were always going to be fringe parts.

I would also recommend To The Ends Of The Earth, that's all on Youtube too. I don't normally like seafaring stories but it's a really good tale.

For someone who came into this Ben-Addiction at the turn of the year, I'm racking my way through stuff! Next on my list is Parade's End. I was going to save it for my flight to Florida but I don't think I can wait seven weeks....

I'm clueing for looks

March 9, 2014 10:58 am  #7

I'd be interested in what you think of Creation then, Teejay, because I didn't really recognise this account of how Origin of Species came to be written, from other stuff I'd read about Darwin - I felt it was too keen to take one aspect of his life and focus entirely on that - sometimes with too much dramatic license.

Yes, I'm going to be investing in Hawking, too, and Third Star
I think Clare and Cumberbabe have convinced me to try Parades End, too!

Last edited by Tinks (March 9, 2014 11:00 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 9, 2014 11:19 am  #8

These all sound really good, Clare. Oh boy, I'm gonna have to make a list. LOL What a terrible problem to have, though, right?

I'm not usually a fan of period pieces, but I've been positively surprised in the past, so I'm willing to give anything a shot that comes recommended. I'm well aware that Ben's part in Osage County isn't big, but I'm also watching that mainly for the overall movie. I'm even driving to the dinky cinema in Cologne for it, which I hate so much. Which says a lot!

Maybe I'll put Wreckers more towards the bottom of the list. Some of these more "arty" British films can be a little.... strange. I once bought Boy A on DVD because it sounded like a film I was going to like, but I ended up being really bored with it because it just didn't grip me. I've sat through more than my share of terrible movies because an actor I liked was in it (ah, the perks of running a fansite and you want to make sure you're not glossing over one of the guy's projects), so the concept isn't new to me. That's where I start thinking about whether I wanna spend money on something I have no idea will be to my liking.

I suppose I could take a brief look at some of the period piece stuff that's on YouTube and then decide whether I want to go ahead and spend money on it.

Also, Tinks, now I feel like you're putting me on the spot! Truth be told, I don't really know much about Darwin and his history beyond the basic school stuff. During my university days, there wasn't much focus on Darwinian evolution, and I was very focused on molecular biology. I did take developmental biology in my last year, but it was mainly Drosophila and C. elegans based, with a strong emphasis on cell biology and molecular genetics. I'm afraid I won't be able to tell just how much creative licence they might have employed in Creation...

March 9, 2014 11:20 am  #9

TeeJay wrote:

If I can buy the movie/show and it comes recommended, I will buy it rather than watch it on YouTube.

^ This. For several good reasons. I will not (again) start a discussion about buying a movie or not (I think you all know about the reasons), but for my taste the word "Youtube" is slightly overused in this thread.

TeeJay wrote:

In terms of Creation, I think I'd mostly watch it for the movie itself rather than Benedict, since I have a Master's degree in biology, so the subject matter holds a special kind of interest. To be honest, the only reason I haven't watched it yet was because I had totally forgotten I even had it.

Reminds me: I bought it a while ago and forgot about it.  Time to give it a try. 

I highly recommend Parade's End and Hawking, as well as Third Star. All of them I can watch over and over again.

Wreckers and The Last Enemy gave me a lot of "language-problems" as they both also come without any subtitles. But still.........   

Last edited by Mattlocked (March 9, 2014 11:21 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 9, 2014 11:29 am  #10

Uh oh, next thing we're gonna get whacked over the head by a mod for referring to things on YouTube. Sorry, not my intention. Support the filmmarkers and creative minds, people. Buy their stuff if you like it, you'll be supporting their craft and the future of filmmaking.

There's many things I wanna say about piracy and how to bring television shows to people's homes in our "information age", but I'd prefer if we didn't take this thread astray too much.

I read in some reviews on amazon that a few German people had issues with accents in these English productions, but I don't think that'll be a big problem for me. I'm such an anglophile and speak/write/hear English at work pretty much every day. It'd take something like Trainspotting to really throw me.

Last edited by TeeJay (March 9, 2014 11:30 am)

March 9, 2014 11:34 am  #11

I think it can be helpful to at least get a little taste of whether you are going to like something or not before you go and buy. I will certainly be building up my DVD collection soon but it's been nice to get Ben tidbits!

Honestly I would say Wreckers is...okay. I liked the story, I liked the portrayal, but it was the way it was filmed that made me a little...well. Bored.

August OC is bloody brilliant as an overall movie. Such strong characters. Does feel like you're watching a play rather than a film though.

I'm clueing for looks

March 9, 2014 11:37 am  #12

I'm sure noone will get "whacked on the head by a mod" for this and also don't want to spoil this thread, just thought I should mention it (briefly!) in here at least.
And e.g. Van Gogh I didn't find anywhere else but on youtube. 

I was quite surprised reading even from native speakers that some of them had problems understanding Sherlock's deductions without subtitles.
And, well, actually the lack of subtitles can't throw me, either.  Have fun!

March 9, 2014 12:06 pm  #13

T be fair, you cannot even get some of these in the correct format I some parts of the world. But perhaps legitimate downloading where possible.

Amazing Grace is definitely worth watching as is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy. To The Ends of The Earth too, if you can get it.

I actually really like Wreckers. Makes you think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 9, 2014 12:12 pm  #14

Right, I completely forgot about Amazing Grace. 

March 9, 2014 12:21 pm  #15

Uh oh, the list is getting longer. Not that I'm complaining. Go on.

March 9, 2014 12:32 pm  #16

"Small Island" is not to be missed!
And, of course "Stuart - A Life Backwards." (Though, for me, that's one with severe language issues.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 9, 2014 12:38 pm  #17

Thanks! *takes notes*

March 9, 2014 12:47 pm  #18

I wanna see Small Island, badly.

And tinker tailor - hoping it'll come up on TV soon.

I'm clueing for looks

March 9, 2014 1:05 pm  #19

Davina wrote:

Amazing Grace is definitely worth watching as is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy.

I second that. TTSS is a visual treat and tells a truly clever story. And we probably don't have to talk about AG, for various reasons.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 9, 2014 3:39 pm  #20

Well, I think it is ok to watch a bit on youtube if you are not sure you will be liking it before buying something. I often do it and then if I like the stuff I buy a dvds. Of all BC films the only one I didn't buy was Fortysomething - in spite of great cast and adorable young Benedict, I found it quite pointless, to be honest.But may be you should go slowly with new stuff, given that we don't have much to look forward for the moment and it could be useful to have something to make a long waiting for new films less difficult.... 

Board footera