BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2017 5:41 pm  #7021

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

athameg wrote:

Elemental wrote something, almost a week ago, and I wanted to answer, But this was a hectic week, and I did not have enough time for it. So I am writing now.

Elemental wrote, the Idea of Johnlock seemed to her "extremely weird and far fetched" at first sight, and now, after further discussion about it, "it's almost ridiculously clear."

It was a bit different for me. For me, the idea was not "far fetched", but, strictly speaking, it existed long before the series was made. For me it was in the original stories of ACD. It seemed to me that it was perceptible, by the whole situation. Of course it was never talked about. That would have been unthinkable at the time when the original stories were written. And when I learned about the new "Sherlock" series for the first time, and that this series would play in the 21th century, my first thought was another (I was curious about the encounter of Sherlock Holmes with computer technology), but I also thought whether they would make the love story more clear which could not be shown in 19th century.

At first it became no love story, seemingly. Of course there were allusions that everybody seemed to suspect it (and that was quite funny), and there were a lot of nonverbal hints. But it didn't become a "real" love story. And I was a bit disappointed, because I thought it was an unused chance. But meanwhile I think a bit different about it.

I am glad that it is not a "real" love story from the beginning, because that would have destroyed the love story. That sounds a bit crazy, I know. Therefore it has to be explained. Imagine it would have been a quite normal love story from the beginning. It would have been a sensation, of course, and some people would have cheered, and some people would have found it terrible. People would have talked about nothing else. Nobody would have been interested in the development of the characters. And it is just this development which makes the story so exciting: the slow development of these two characters into the characters ACD described. Meanwhile they have arrived there, I think.

We see the development of these two characters, not everyone for himself, but in connection, and it is a development towards each other. We see the growing of an extremely close and meaningful relationship. Of course it is a love story, and it is really great. But it is not (or not mainly) about a sexual relationship. It can be (or become) a sexual relationship, too, and I would like to see it. But that is not the "heart" of the story. The "heart" is the wonderfully slow told story, how between two people who are absolutely not the type for such a thing (if you consider their past), a very close and intimate relationship develops. And that's really beautiful.

For me it was far fetched because I read Sherlock Holmes when I was a kid, and I probably missed the subtlety regarding Holmes and Watson's relationship and focused only in the adventures. So that's the baggage (or lack thereof) that I brought with me when I first started watching the show.

Something I'm learning through Johnlock and I think I said it in my last post (actually I'm going to add it to my signature ) is that we so often see but not observe (Sherlock is so right!). And that's how it's possible, or at least it was for me, to watch the entire series casually and not give a second thought to the possibility of romance, dismissing it as just a bunch of gay jokes and a very strong friendship. That's why I'm thankful to the fandom and all the people who took the time to look for the signs and tell a different story. Because it's there. And I agree with you that it's the development of the characters what makes the love story possible and not the other way round. The love blossoms from a very difficult mix of feelings and experiences, and it's oh-so-beautiful to witness.

That's probably why I'm not unhappy with the ending of S4. I admit that I was not that invested in Johnlock during the hiatus and I want to be immensely respectful towards all the people who were disappointed and feel misrepresented, specially those in the LGBTI community.

But regarding the story I feel we saw the characters react accordingly to the situation in a pace that is understandably slow given the circumstances. John had a kid, lost a spouse, almost lost his best friend/love of his life, almost lost his life. Sherlock found out he had a secret sister, had to almost kill his brother, saw his best friend/love almost drown. Both saw people being killed in front of them. One can argue if the season itself makes sense, if you like or dislike the choices the creators made regarding the plot... but if you accept the plot and everything that happened (and I assume it did happen, the mind palace theories haven't convinced me... yet) it would probably have been a bit weird to rush a kiss or a love confession during the last ten minutes of TFP. 

And in some way I am grateful for that. Because there is beauty in the unspoken. And because my experience is that once characters get together and love words are said out loud and kisses are exchanged... I as a viewer lose the excitement pretty fast. Of course if this is the last season we may be all left with a need of closure or validation in all this Johnlock situation. But maybe it's not. And I prefer to bet on that, meaning I prefer to save excitement for the possibility of a season 5, even if it never happens. I can keep on solving the puzzle, admiring the work of the fandom and rewatching the show over and over to enjoy this beautiful display of creativity and human emotion.

Again, I am fairly new to all this and I know that some people have very strong feelings towards this topic, and I don't want to hurt or disrespect anyone. It's my opinion and experience, nothing else (besides I'm not an English native and sometimes I find difficult to express the nuances of my perspective). 

One more thing: the "ridiculously clear" didn't intend to mean that is super-duper-obvious or not subtle enough. But once you start observing, it does become obvious. Like when Sherlock gets annoyed because others don't see what is so clear to him. That's what I meant

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

February 7, 2017 5:34 pm  #7022

I agree with you, Elemental.
I have actually started a reply yesterday but it quickly deteriorated into endless ramblings so here are some bullet points for everybody's convenience.

* I too incidentally prefer UST to established couples so I'm glad there was no kiss in TLD (the hug was poignant enough!)
* UST and speculation is what keeps people talking and help a TV show's ratings a lot. But in the same time, the lack of resolution in the show's finale is always a let-down.
* I think that telling two (or multiple) stories with the very same set of scenes is a work of genius. So Moftiss actually had to make the plot fit the matrix of four possibilities (very simply put): johnlock - yes or no, the show's finale - yes or no.
They seriously did great to make everybody happy and leave enough room for more seasons. So I'm happy with them to 95%. I'd be happy to 100% if my "happiness" didn't need half of page of reasoning

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

February 7, 2017 5:42 pm  #7023

Very good arguments, ewige. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 7, 2017 5:46 pm  #7024

I feel kind of old because I have to ask but ... what exactly  does UST mean? I can tell that it is a couple that's not a real couple on screen but what do the letters stand for?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 7, 2017 5:50 pm  #7025

Thank your for asking, I do not know it either. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 7, 2017 6:02 pm  #7026

UST = unresolved sexual tension. Usually found in slow-burn fics and BBC Sherlock
As opposed to ER - established relationships - where the story centers on the domestic arrangements (or something; I'm not really into those! ) rather than the thorny path of characters towards each other :D

Last edited by ewige (February 7, 2017 6:03 pm)

-----

February 7, 2017 6:49 pm  #7027

ewige wrote:

I agree with you, Elemental.
I have actually started a reply yesterday but it quickly deteriorated into endless ramblings so here are some bullet points for everybody's convenience.

* I too incidentally prefer UST to established couples so I'm glad there was no kiss in TLD (the hug was poignant enough!)
* UST and speculation is what keeps people talking and help a TV show's ratings a lot. But in the same time, the lack of resolution in the show's finale is always a let-down.
* I think that telling two (or multiple) stories with the very same set of scenes is a work of genius. So Moftiss actually had to make the plot fit the matrix of four possibilities (very simply put): johnlock - yes or no, the show's finale - yes or no.
They seriously did great to make everybody happy and leave enough room for more seasons. So I'm happy with them to 95%. I'd be happy to 100% if my "happiness" didn't need half of page of reasoning

I agree with everything. Would love to read the ramblings too, though 

"It is what it is"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

February 7, 2017 7:18 pm  #7028

Ahem.

Just because.
Thank you for your attention

-----

February 7, 2017 7:32 pm  #7029

Just like ewige said. They did make everybody happy and left room for more seasons. And "the four possibilities" are funny, I think. And it is also true.

And of course Elemental is right: "ridiculously clear" is not "super-duper obvious or not subtle enough." but it is still noticeable.

By the way and just for fun: I have come to the idea of johnlock long before the "Sherlock" series. And that was a coincidence. And this is how it happened. One day I read the ACD story "The Three Students", and it starts with the text: "It was in the year '95 that a combination of events, into which I need not enter, caused Mr. Sherlock Holmes and myself to spend some weeks in one of our great University towns, and it was during this time that the small but instructive adventure which I am about to relate befell us. It will be obvious that any detail which would help the reader to exactly identify the college or the criminal would be injudicious and offensive. So painful a scandal may well be allowed to die out." - And the same day a student came for tutoring lessons, and she asked for help because she had to write a seminar paper about Oscar Wilde, and she had very little time. So I researched for her on the internet and found out that in March 1895 Oscar Wilde was arrested because of "sodomy and gross indecency", and that during the next weeks a lot of other homosexuals in London were arrested and that a lot of homosexuals fled the city if possible. And I just saw a connection between "The Three Students" and these things happening in London. And later I wrote a Fanfic in which Lestrade warns Holmes and Watson and advises them to leave London for a while. Since then, I believe in johnlock.

February 7, 2017 7:36 pm  #7030

ewige wrote:

UST = unresolved sexual tension. Usually found in slow-burn fics and BBC Sherlock
As opposed to ER - established relationships - where the story centers on the domestic arrangements (or something; I'm not really into those! ) rather than the thorny path of characters towards each other :D

Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 7, 2017 8:23 pm  #7031

That's a solid deduction, athameg!

-----

February 8, 2017 10:30 am  #7032

ewige wrote:

Ahem.

Just because.
Thank you for your attention

It's never a bad moment for that 

"It is what it is"

February 8, 2017 11:58 am  #7033

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 8, 2017 12:02 pm  #7034

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 8, 2017 12:09 pm  #7035

February 8, 2017 3:01 pm  #7036

But will Sherlock make John wear the hat? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 8, 2017 3:08 pm  #7037

They will switch. 

February 8, 2017 4:32 pm  #7038

Oh my, those are beyond awesome!

-----

February 14, 2017 6:13 pm  #7039

Apropos of nothing...

[img]https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/xTXUv4ShD2n5ScBqyxt-zdkBmFQ/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2014/02/13/075/n/1922507/6f81c7b8c90d27a7_tumblr_n0ooly4Dne1rovo03o1_500/i/Sherlock-Valentine-Cards.png[/img]

-----

February 15, 2017 10:50 am  #7040

Awww...

A bit delayed but...

...Happy Valentine's Day to all Johnlockers out there! 

"It is what it is"

Board footera