BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2016 2:52 pm  #6201

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

Another point about this scene.  It may seem obvious but remember that the writers CHOOSE these specific words to make a point.  If they just wanted to establish that Sherlock is not into relationships they could've done it in two sentences.  John: So, are you seeing anyone?  Sherlock: Well actually, I consider myself married to my work.  There, that's all it would've took.

And yet they choose to differentiate between relationships with men or women.

Just saying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 14, 2016 3:33 pm  #6202

True. It has been a topic from the very first episode and has been addressed in one way or other in all 10 episodes. Therefore I have only contempt for the so-called "gay joke" argument. This goes much deeper. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 14, 2016 7:26 pm  #6203

Agree! Very hard to not notice in that very first episode all the people hinting SH is gay.
Understand people have preconceived perceptions about Sherlock Holmes , but by now considering everything it really is inconceivable Sherlock not be gay .

Great to see this thread alive again -there's never enough glitter or rainbows here, the time video trailer was fantastically done I loved it - the arches on the feet thing being taken seriously as attraction to women was one of the funniest things I've read especially considering they nicked it from a gay SH comment on a bareley dressed ballet dancer in tplosh - and a Sherlock playlist must have Donda Esta Yolanda .

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

June 14, 2016 9:57 pm  #6204

I very much needed this Johnlocking.  Let's keep it up Ladies.  In honor of Pride month, in honor of Orlando and in honor of our boys!

*presses hidden button*
*glitter bombs explode all over thread*

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 15, 2016 7:47 am  #6205

Something which cannot be posted often enough - Mark Gatiss on the subject of lying:

http://isitandwonder.tumblr.com/post/145951920836/enigmaticpenguinofdeath

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 15, 2016 8:12 am  #6206

Susi, this is the right thread to post it. Over at the debate, you would only get Mumbai-answers in return. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 15, 2016 8:15 am  #6207

June 15, 2016 9:29 am  #6208

Mumbai? TheWhotheWhattheWhytheWhentheWhere...?!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 15, 2016 9:30 am  #6209

Nothing. Really nothing. Just a town in India. That is all. 

June 15, 2016 9:41 am  #6210

So I just had a look at this interview clip and I think Mark was cleverly trying to wiggle himself out of the situation. I prefer to address it in here for obvious reasons:

Because the big question is how to define "a show about an openly gay couple". IMO this would mean that you define Sherlock and John from the very beginning as being gay and out out and open about it which would have been a completely different show. What we see, however, is the story of two men slowly realising their feelings and coming to terms with them, fighting against gigantic impediments like Moriarty and Magnussen and Mary and their own shortcoming and fears and weaknesses . This is not the same as a show about "an openly gay couple". And, btw, John is in all probability bisexual so this label does not apply at all. 

June 15, 2016 10:33 am  #6211

This forum needs an emoji that gives applause.

:-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 15, 2016 10:42 am  #6212

Yes no point wasting breath .

Is it just me or have the interviewers and questions asked MG and SM in the UK and at cons been sort of non specific on the johnlock Q. I watched a whole load of them in one big go some time ago and I felt there was a bit of filtering going on and a lot of repeated questions and answers.
Perhaps most of the press in the uk and the Qs asked at con are filtered ish in order to avoid just such a scenario , but in India MG didn't have any control of what was asked and so as Susie writes was put on the spot.

From the very beginning Sherlock seems to be asking people to think and observe and come to their own opinions.  I trust what I see and hear in the show and quite clearly Irene already called S & J a couple , and quite clearly she meant sexualy . Johns not gay was canonically pointed out to be irrelevant. 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

June 15, 2016 11:04 am  #6213

SusiGo wrote:

Nothing. Really nothing. Just a town in India. That is all. 

Very eloquently put, dear.

For me, a very important thing is this (and I will do something for arguing reasons I never do, that is considering that S1&2 should indeed be gay jokes....): I think if they just did the old joke, then S3 should have been the latest opportunity to go for a much much lighter and happier note with the friendship thing. And I'm not talking about what was announced as Mrs. Hudson's last hooray here. I'm talking about sadness, tension, uneasiness, jealousy (and absolutely noone can tell me otherwise) as well as sacrifices you do for someone you LOVE more than your own life.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 15, 2016 11:11 am  #6214

True. It has never been a real joke. There was always Sherlock's silence. And what is interesting: Mark says it was a joking nod to TPLOSH where Holmes pretends he and Watson are a gay couple. Which is true. What he chooses not to say is that according to his own statement Holmes was indeed gay and in love with Watson, the notorious "desperately unspoken" comment. 

I would really like to post this in the debate in order to refute that this is a valid argument against Johnlock but I will not do so for reasons you probably understand. 

But if anything is a joke, then to take this interview as proof against Johnlock. 

June 15, 2016 11:54 am  #6215

Let's keep this going people.  Last night I made the mistake of going into tumblr under the setlock tag and ran across things that made my eyes cross.  People are shipping Sherlock with the Lady in Red.  Some people think that Sherlolly is imminent because they recently closed the set for shooting with Ben and Lou.

It made my head hurt!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 15, 2016 12:06 pm  #6216

Heteronormativity at its worst. Every female ship with Sherlock is ridiculous. His relationships with the various women are about mutual respect and intellectual attraction. He is not a misogynist, I think, far less than Canon Holmes. He respects Molly's professional skills (think of TAB), Irene being his equal in some respects, Sarah being a clever, fearless woman, Janine being sassy and fun, Mrs Hudson (maybe) being a substitute mum quite different from his own - but all this is not love in an emotional and/or sexual sense. 

June 15, 2016 12:37 pm  #6217

We get sneered at for making too much of how John and Sherlock look at each other and yet some people have decided to ship Sherlock with this women because he has walked with her and eaten chips.  She doesn't even have a name yet!!! 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 15, 2016 12:50 pm  #6218

Yes, tonnaree, this would really make me laugh if it wasn't so sad. Show him with a woman for five seconds and she's a love interest. Show him with John for ten episodes plus a very gay Pilot and... well. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 15, 2016 1:02 pm  #6219

SolarSystem wrote:

Yes, tonnaree, this would really make me laugh if it wasn't so sad. Show him with a woman for five seconds and she's a love interest. Show him with John for ten episodes plus a very gay Pilot and... well. 

Not to mention the Gay Victorian Special.      But, oh, wait, the special proved that Sherlock is attracted to women because he has a photo of Irene and complimented Lady Carmichael's arches.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 15, 2016 1:07 pm  #6220

Of course. The famous arches. As quoted by the very gay TPLOSH Holmes. 

Board footera