BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2015 12:15 am  #4841

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

Lilythiell wrote:

Has anyone read the meta on tea? Rather interesting, if you ask me...

That thing on tumblr? I wish I knew how to reblog or comment or whatever. I'd add the scene in The Sign of Three when Sherlock drops the eyeball in his tea and offers it to John.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 24, 2015 1:05 am  #4842

Yes, that one, precisely.
Here's a link to the full meta http://teaandforeshadowing.tumblr.com/post/124689945838/all-drink-mentions-and-their-assumed-meanings-or list, more like. I've no idea if the list is complete, however it does rather look like it. And The Eye of Revelation is there.

I like that analogy. Especially when linked to Mark's tweet about "sorting weekend priorities".

If you can't reblog, I'd say that's because you don't have a blog on Tumblr. Apart from that, no idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 24, 2015 3:33 am  #4843

Oh I hadn't seen that one, it's good that someone put it all in one place for science A very convincing article!

The thing about the eyeball in Sherlock's tea; John says no, because he feels he can't look too closely at what Sherlock is offering him, now that he's committed to marrying Mary 

I worked out my tumblr problem by the way. It doesn't work on my iPad, unless perhaps I download the app.

Last edited by ukaunz (July 24, 2015 3:41 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 24, 2015 10:13 am  #4844

I've read it and it's kind of bulletproof. And I love it! :D I feel I need to rewatch it all with all the new insights of meta!

-Could you whisper...?
-NOT REALLY!!

July 24, 2015 10:20 am  #4845

From tumblr user warmth-and-constancy:

The drinks code has all the hallmarks of meta that I find convincing and am not skeptical of:

- it appears to be deliberate as a result of several of the following factors
- it has clear “X = Y wherever X occurs” symbolism and that thread does not break
- it is consistent
- it is pervasive (appearing in multiple episodes or in every episode)
- it is a “deception so audacious” as to be hiding in plain sight (which these showrunners love and which is actually the requirement for me to believe that something was intentional)
- it does not require any leaps of logic or mental gymnastics
- it does not depend on some other unconfirmed thing to first be true
- it doesn’t overcomplicate things or assume that the showrunners are more clever than they actually are and/or that every single thing is connected (no, the Random Sexy Extra in TBB is probably not Mary’s little brother who was planted in Seb Wilkes’s office by Moriarty but is actually a double agent reporting back to Mycroft); instead, this is something that we can realistically imagine a couple of writers with a mutual love of subtextual storytelling taking the time and effort to map out
- it requires a team effort to be carried out (writers, director, cast, editors, Arwel)
- it references the source material for this adaptation (TPLoSH), and
- as a special bonus it has been directly alluded to by Moffat.
- it finally explains choices that appeared unusual enough to warrant some kind of explanation (the whole “coffee cups –> John’s eyes” transition for sure, but also we now have an answer to the question “Why are John and Sherlock holding what appear to be wildly unnecessary props on their way to steal some incriminating letters from a wealthy news magnate?”)

and here's the Moffat quote in case anyone missed it

If you watch this show carefully, there is a subtext about John drinking. - Steven Moffat

Last edited by ukaunz (July 24, 2015 10:56 am)

July 24, 2015 4:59 pm  #4846

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 24, 2015 7:32 pm  #4847

Oh, that was good.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 24, 2015 7:51 pm  #4848

Lovely. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 25, 2015 9:48 am  #4849

I loved that little sentence and Martin played it off beautifully. I clinged at this little sentence with so much hope...
*sigh*

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 25, 2015 9:03 pm  #4850

Hope is not lost, mrshouse! Series 4 will come to us...John will move in again...softly, softly...
#IBelieveInJohnlock

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 25, 2015 9:10 pm  #4851

Lilythiell wrote:

Yes, that one, precisely.
Here's a link to the full meta http://teaandforeshadowing.tumblr.com/post/124689945838/all-drink-mentions-and-their-assumed-meanings-or list, more like. I've no idea if the list is complete, however it does rather look like it. And The Eye of Revelation is there.

I like that analogy. Especially when linked to Mark's tweet about "sorting weekend priorities".

If you can't reblog, I'd say that's because you don't have a blog on Tumblr. Apart from that, no idea.

http://warmth-and-constancy.tumblr.com/post/124854302545/i-forgot-that-the-drinks-code-is-also-a-portal

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 25, 2015 9:16 pm  #4852

Shhhhh...let's not think about that, indeed.
Blanket?

July 25, 2015 9:22 pm  #4853

Yes, blanket would be great. thank you. 

July 25, 2015 9:26 pm  #4854

Anytime
Normally, I'd also propose tea, but in the circumstance it doesn't seem right.

July 26, 2015 11:33 am  #4855

The final proof why Sherlock and John are no bros.. (Sorry for the B-word...):

http://warmth-and-constancy.tumblr.com/post/124340125605/you-can-tell-that-john-and-sherlock-arent-just

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 26, 2015 1:54 pm  #4856

mrshouse wrote:

http://warmth-and-constancy.tumblr.com/post/124340125605/you-can-tell-that-john-and-sherlock-arent-just

Just remember, the B is silent!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 26, 2015 4:11 pm  #4857

It's the law.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 26, 2015 6:33 pm  #4858

Why did I just read that in Arthur Shappey's voice...?

/OOT, I know. Sorry./

July 26, 2015 6:36 pm  #4859

It was a quote. 

July 26, 2015 9:08 pm  #4860

mrshouse wrote:

So obvious!

Board footera