BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2014 7:12 pm  #3201

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

I feel like Frankenstein right now... I created a monster...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 15, 2014 7:17 pm  #3202

*giggles*

Songs are always good too. 
Rather fond of showtunes myself...................and I do take requests. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 15, 2014 7:19 pm  #3203

*dancing around the flat, preparing the Hallelujah choir*

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2014 7:24 pm  #3204

Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end--
waiting 'round the bend,
my huckleberry friend,
Moon River and me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 15, 2014 7:25 pm  #3205

*sings frenetically*

He will follow him,
follow him wherever heeeee may goooo!
And near him he always will be,
for nothing can keep him away,
he is John's destiny.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

December 15, 2014 7:27 pm  #3206

I do need to write a fic in which Sherlock calls John "my huckleberry friend"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 15, 2014 7:27 pm  #3207

Did I ever tell you how wonderfully crazy you all are, ladies...?

December 15, 2014 7:30 pm  #3208

And here is the King with a little Reichenbach allusion:

Take my hand, take my whole life too 
For I can't help falling in love with you 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 15, 2014 7:35 pm  #3209

*screams*

"Elvis" ! ! ! ! ! !

*thud*

Last edited by tonnaree (December 15, 2014 7:35 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 15, 2014 9:27 pm  #3210

Schmiezi wrote:

Huh. I'm surprised that non-Americans would understand Tom Sawyer references-- Tom's friend Huck, living on the river (Mississippi), etc. Did y'all read Tom Sawyer at some point?

Last edited by ancientsgate (December 15, 2014 9:28 pm)

December 15, 2014 9:29 pm  #3211

This is one of the most famous american books here. Just saying.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 15, 2014 9:30 pm  #3212

ancientsgate wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Huh. I'm surprised that non-Americans would understand Tom Sawyer references-- Tom's friend Huck, living on the river (Mississippi), etc. Did y'all read Tom Sawyer at some point?

Both Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn books were my favourite reading when I was a child. Mark Twain is a very popular, world known author and best American humorist even now. 

Last edited by nakahara (December 15, 2014 9:31 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 15, 2014 9:38 pm  #3213

I even had a record with a children's audio play. 

December 15, 2014 10:46 pm  #3214

nakahara wrote:

Both Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn books were my favourite reading when I was a child. Mark Twain is a very popular, world known author and best American humorist even now. 

Cool! One of my faves as a kid was his "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court".  He was a smart 'un, that Mark Twain, lol.

December 15, 2014 11:43 pm  #3215

Think huckleberry friend might fit better as a ref to the song in Breakfast@Tiffany's...Moonriver.

Last edited by lil (December 16, 2014 12:05 am)

December 16, 2014 5:01 am  #3216

lil wrote:

Think huckleberry friend might fit better as a ref to the song in Breakfast@Tiffany's...Moonriver.

I  just did a brief google search, the song was a  Johnny Mercer/Henry Mancini song, made famous by the singer Andy Williams, and sung by Audrey Hepburn in the movie Moon River.

The "river" inspiration was apparently some place in the USA's southeast, like in Georgia maybe, but not Tom and Huck's beloved Mississippi River.

As for the huckleberry thing ("my huckleberry friend") , I found this:

People have sometimes asked about the meaning of the phrase "huckleberry friend".As a child, Mercer picked huckleberries (like wild blueberries) in the summer. To him, the berries had a personal connection with a carefree boyhood, strengthened by association with Mark Twain's character Huckleberry Finn. The implication was that Holly Golightly, who was actually of hillbilly stock, and Huckleberry Finn might well have been friends, if ever they had met.

December 16, 2014 5:15 am  #3217

I just wanted to explain the quote, only to find out that you have all done your research and that there is nothing left for me to explain.

Wish that would happen to me at school more often.

December 16, 2014 5:20 am  #3218

Schmiezi wrote:

I just wanted to explain the quote, only to find out that you have all done your research and that there is nothing left for me to explain.  Wish that would happen to me at school more often.

I never thought about what a huckleberry friend was supposed to be, lol. It was just a song lyric that we sang, sounded kinda cool, etc. I do like using google and doing brief searches for info-- what did we do without the internet, back in the day? I know a lot of you reading this don't remember those days, but I sure do, and I like this new world better.

December 16, 2014 2:55 pm  #3219

I definitely want this to be adapted to our era and to become an ending scene of BBC Sherlock:

http://grossbees.tumblr.com/post/104266831618/as-part-of-the-latest-holmesfest-round-i-made

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 21, 2014 9:02 pm  #3220

Here is something nice for all those who cannot hear about the "gay joke" anymore:

http://miadifferent.tumblr.com/post/105796755113/what-happens-when-the-writers-stop-joking-about 

Board footera