BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2014 9:07 am  #1

The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

This is a thread for everyone who likes Johnlock and would love to see it in the show, for discussion and interpretation in a nice and respectful atmosphere. This is not a thread for discussing if there is Johnlock. For this please visit The Official Debate. 

I just found this very detailed and interesting overview. Enjoy! 

http://vlyn.hubpages.com/hub/The-Johnlock-Conspiracy

In case anyone is interested in sonnet 57 by William Shakespeare:

SONNET 57

Being your slave, what should I do but tend 
Upon the hours and times of your desire? 
I have no precious time at all to spend, 
Nor services to do, till you require. 
Nor dare I chide the world-without-end hour
Whilst I, my sovereign, watch the clock for you,
Nor think the bitterness of absence sour 
When you have bid your servant once adieu; 
Nor dare I question with my jealous thought 
Where you may be, or your affairs suppose, 
But, like a sad slave, stay and think of nought
Save, where you are how happy you make those.
   So true a fool is love that in your will,
   Though you do any thing, he thinks no ill. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 25, 2015 1:20 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 7, 2014 9:14 am  #2

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

Thanks for that, Susi! I guess I'll have to start reading this right away....

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 7, 2014 9:30 am  #3

That´s really an interesting overview.

About #2: Imo the whole point is that the writers do want the audience to ship Johnlock. They planted it in our heads, whether we choose to believe it or not. This tension is a big part of the appeal of the show, and they did very wise in doing so, it inspires interest and theories and phantasies. But as it is hinted in a not-so-subtle way from the very beginning I refused to go with it, too obvious ^^.

My opinion about the eye-sex is that Sherlock just stares so exceedingly sexy it looks like eye-sex no matter what he´s looking at, John or a pair of sneakers..^^ (if the sneakers had eyes I bet they´d look back at him just as John does, in awe and wonder..^^)

Last edited by Zatoichi (March 7, 2014 9:32 am)

March 7, 2014 9:34 am  #4

Believe it or no, there are many people who do not see it at all. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 7, 2014 10:12 am  #5

Well, yeah.. I´ve stopped wondering long ago.

March 7, 2014 10:20 am  #6

Just three words at this point (I have only just started to read it): Johnlock as endgame.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 7, 2014 10:23 am  #7

Yep. 

March 7, 2014 10:59 am  #8

I particularly love #20, probably because it had escaped me so far. And whether it does make any sense in the greater scheme of things or not, I just... love it: 

20. John + Sherlock = Mr. + Mrs. Holmes
Again, we're not sure if the Johnlock-denying writers are aware of this or if it was the wardrobe people having a laugh, but either way, it's in the show. When we first meet Sherlock's mum and dad, they are dressed in the exact same clothes as Sherlock and John, respectively. The comparison continues in His Last Vow, with Mr. Holmes describing his wife as the genius and himself as the "sane" one.
You know, they say you look for one of your parents in the person you fall in love with...

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 7, 2014 11:00 am)

March 7, 2014 11:10 am  #9

Zatoichi wrote:

That´s really an interesting overview.

.......My opinion about the eye-sex is that Sherlock just stares so exceedingly sexy it looks like eye-sex no matter what he´s looking at, John or a pair of sneakers..^^ (if the sneakers had eyes I bet they´d look back at him just as John does, in awe and wonder..^^)

Aaaahahaha!!    I fully agree.

So... and Sherlock's parents dress like Sherlock and John? Hm, let's have another look:

Thank you, Susi, I will read it as soon as there is time....... 

Last edited by Mattlocked (March 7, 2014 11:15 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 7, 2014 11:18 am  #10

Well, somehow they do...

March 7, 2014 11:53 am  #11

Talking about staring:
A German philosopher apparently said (wisely): Kein Kuss kann erfüllen, was ein Blick verspricht.
My humble translation: No kiss can deliver/fulfill what a look promisses.

March 7, 2014 11:57 am  #12

Oh, well, I wouldn't say that …  But I see what you mean. 

March 7, 2014 12:29 pm  #13

ooooh, can't wait to read this.  Oh why do I have to work for a living.

Now boarding for the HMS Johnlock.
Your cabins are stocked with complamentary shock blankets, thudding matteresses and a bottle of port.
Happy sailing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 7, 2014 12:44 pm  #14

Be wrote:

Talking about staring:
A German philosopher apparently said (wisely): Kein Kuss kann erfüllen, was ein Blick verspricht.
My humble translation: No kiss can deliver/fulfill what a look promisses.

A director quoted it in a documentary about his making of a new Tarzan film when he was asked whether the audience would get to see Tarzan and Jane together more closely.

In Sherlock we have the same line, but differently: Some things a better left to the imagination.
Doesn't mean that I am opposed to it. I like it to be ambigious for everybody can read it in their own way.
In a way they are able to show us both alternatives in different layers: pure friendship and romanic relationship. Depends on your point of view.

Last edited by Be (March 7, 2014 12:54 pm)

March 7, 2014 12:49 pm  #15

Exactly. And it is one of the reasons why the show is so successful. It is open to interpretation, not only regarding relationships but everything else as well. 

March 7, 2014 2:13 pm  #16

Susi lovely to read link..and something Sherlocky  to smile about@work today. Thanks
No question a huge part of Sherlock is the Sherlock and John love story aspect.
Often their obsessive fascination with each other is very obviously on display.
The Sherlock dieing scene was such a AsiP callback to Sherlocks ..what would you think in your dieing moments Q..and Johns answer..Sherlocks John Watson is in danger..becomes very much like oh god let John Watson live..doesn't it.

John@sherlock is already endgame..imo..but its not Johnlock without sexual attraction...and I don't see them adding in benefits.
However the awesome thing is...if they did..the way they have done this relationship so beautifully...no one could really protest.

March 7, 2014 3:52 pm  #17

SusiGo wrote:

Exactly. And it is one of the reasons why the show is so successful. It is open to interpretation, not only regarding relationships but everything else as well. 

Right. Just think of Mary. 

I wonder if I should read it now or do the shopping first.... reading....shopping....reading.....shopping......

March 7, 2014 3:53 pm  #18

Well, with Johnlock there is always something to look forward to. 

March 7, 2014 4:07 pm  #19

But I'm looking forward to it since you posted it!
Ok, I go......

March 7, 2014 6:01 pm  #20

Now this is interesting. Have to check that tag later on.... 

"Since its conception the #tjlc tag has been filled with filmography breakdowns, literary analyses, historical parallels, character studies, and allegorical interpretations that all point to one thing: Johnlock as endgame. And these are not your stereotypical teenage slash shippers; he tag's contributors consist of graphic designers, professional cinematographers, English professors, gender studies majors, psychologists, actors and writers of varying ages and sexual orientations. Are they reading too much into the show? Perhaps. But whether or not they overestimate the writers, one thing is clear: the writers should not underestimate them."

Board footera