BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2014 9:19 pm  #21

Re: Fan fic writers: Royal London trauma centre

I know I couldn´t..

March 5, 2014 9:27 pm  #22

Aside of creating a nasty shock for the more squeamish part of the audience realistic portrayal of surgery involved would make it hard to believe that Sherlock would be able to escape from the hospital as soon as he did. So it made sence to tone things down a bit both from plot development point of view and the aesthetics.

March 5, 2014 11:32 pm  #23

Oh man, now I'm just imagining him staggering through London with his chest half hanging open, leaving a trail of blood behind him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 6, 2014 12:59 am  #24

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Oh man, now I'm just imagining him staggering through London with his chest half hanging open, leaving a trail of blood behind him.

Have no fear; my photo of the Royal London wheelchair will put your mind at rest on that one. Admittedly it raises other issues, not least my inability to upload photos to anywhere else than Facebook, but I leave you with this question:

Who would have lent Sherlock the £1 coin he needed?

Also, I'm really glad there were no zombies in the vinicity; say what you will of them, if they run out brains, they will relie instead on the next best things. Zombies on a fast food diet not a pleasant thought...

March 6, 2014 6:11 am  #25

As for uploading pictures, tinypic.com works quite well. Just copy/paste the direct URL and insert it here with the button for images.

March 6, 2014 7:36 am  #26

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Sherlock and Walking Dead combined, what a fantastic idea. lol

March 6, 2014 7:53 am  #27

But, hey, at least major open chest surgery would explain the "several months in the hospital" conundrum.

March 6, 2014 9:50 am  #28

Thank you, TeeJay!

Well, I'm hoping that this works careful perusal of the wheelchair reveals the black plastic fitting with a chain hanging down from it; this is for inserting a £ coin, just like a supermarket trolley.

Once I'd stopped laughing I realised that we'd all been missing a vital clue; where did Sherlock get his £ coin from?

Also, it really is that pink in the Royal London; make of that what you will

March 6, 2014 10:36 am  #29

Not a very good picture, alas, but the genuine article: ground ambulance at the Royal London. I'd been hoping that there might be an air ambulance coming in, which is what should have happened with the convenient helipad on top of CAM's building, but no such luck!

Also, one of the vast numbers of signs dotted around the equally vast Royal London site; it's a reminder that the mortuary is conveniently close to hand and the bicycle lane reminded me of John

March 6, 2014 12:12 pm  #30

Sherlock might as well open his very own London trauma center in Leinster Gardens.
We have a patient, a nurse, a qualified doctor who is in fact a surgeon, and Billy can do the anaesthesia.
Perhaps we can do without the nurse. John is probably used to work under wartime regulations.

March 6, 2014 12:14 pm  #31

Be wrote:

Sherlock might as well open his very own London trauma center in Leinster Gardens.
We have a patient, a nurse, a qualified doctor who is in fact a surgeon, and Billy can do the anaesthesia.
Perhaps we can do without the nurse. John is probably used to work under wartime regulations.

Love your post. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 6, 2014 12:19 pm  #32

sssh

March 6, 2014 12:40 pm  #33

Be wrote:

Yes: I second the suggestion that we omit the nurse

I do think they should have taken the wheelchair back; waste not want not, and that £ coin should not be wasted!

March 6, 2014 6:43 pm  #34

Willow wrote:

I do think they should have taken the wheelchair back; waste not want not, and that £ coin should not be wasted!

Lol. Never mind the wheelchair. It's that IV pump that I'm worried about. They are like gold dust.
I think that pink paint is one of the most ridiculous colours I have seen in hospital. Saying that our doctor's room is pained fluorescent orange. If anything it helps you stay awake on a night shift, the way it glows.

March 6, 2014 7:47 pm  #35

belis wrote:

Willow wrote:

Lol. Never mind the wheelchair. It's that IV pump that I'm worried about. They are like gold dust.
I think that pink paint is one of the most ridiculous colours I have seen in hospital. Saying that our doctor's room is pained fluorescent orange. If anything it helps you stay awake on a night shift, the way it glows.

Yep; I was very surprised and a bit blinded by it, but fluorescent orange would probably result in even more aggro when people are running very late in clinics. On the one hand I understand why people don't understand, but on the other I find myself explaining to irate fellow patients that in a trauma clinic you have to expect that the staff may be detained by people who are a lot worse off than we are, and that it's preferable to be kept waiting than to be the person who needs care, right now, this very minute, or else.

I'm sure you are alert, keen and vigilant at all times without the fluorescent orange paint, and equally sure that anyone trying to make off with an iv pump in your presence would need to be armed with at least a tyre lever

March 6, 2014 8:12 pm  #36

Willow wrote:

On the one hand I understand why people don't understand, but on the other I find myself explaining to irate fellow patients that in a trauma clinic you have to expect that the staff may be detained by people who are a lot worse off than we are, and that it's preferable to be kept waiting than to be the person who needs care, right now, this very minute, or else.

I'm sure you are alert, keen and vigilant at all times without the fluorescent orange paint, and equally sure that anyone trying to make off with an iv pump in your presence would need to be armed with at least a tyre lever

I wish more patients were so unerstanding. I think goverment isn't helping by promoting culture where NHS is seen as another form of service industry. It's all 'me, me, me' and 'now, now, now'. The emphasis on waiting time targets in AE isn't helping.

I'm not that dedicated to protecting NHS property lol. And when faced with an armed patient I will quite happily hide behind police officers. ;)

March 6, 2014 11:54 pm  #37

Be wrote:

And don't forget Mary can provide her own special brand of surgery too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 7, 2014 1:01 am  #38

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Be wrote:

And don't forget Mary can provide her own special brand of surgery too.

Indeed so! Fortunately the surgeon I saw on Wednesday was a bit more conservative, and thus stuck with the old school methods: scalpels, sterile fields and local anaesthetics, bless him

March 8, 2014 7:24 am  #39

Willow wrote:

Thank you, TeeJay!

Well, I'm hoping that this works careful perusal of the wheelchair reveals the black plastic fitting with a chain hanging down from it; this is for inserting a £ coin, just like a supermarket trolley.

Once I'd stopped laughing I realised that we'd all been missing a vital clue; where did Sherlock get his £ coin from?

Also, it really is that pink in the Royal London; make of that what you will

Woah! I have never seen anything like that....

Board footera