BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



March 4, 2014 3:58 am  #1


"Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

I forget where I first saw this question, but: are the female fans in love with Sherlock because he's Benedict or with Benedict because he's Sherlock?

I didn't think women would go for Sherlock as played by Benedict, because, let's face it, the character didn't treat any of the women that liked him too well. Benedict seems more charming when he's being his "public self," than when playing Sherlock.

But women were attracted to Sherlock Holmes even based on the illustrations for the original stories, so who knows?

 

March 4, 2014 7:22 am  #2


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

I think I'm a Ben addict and a Sherlock fan.
I don't see Ben as Sherlock when he's not playing him - in fact I don't see any of the roles he plays as being Ben either.
And although I've liked Sherlock from the beginning, it wasn't because I found him physically attractive; I just enjoyed watching him (and I actually think he's got better as the series has gone on).
Also, I only realised how attractive the "real" Ben is a year or so after first watching Sherlock, so I can't say either one drew me to the other.


"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles
 

March 4, 2014 10:00 am  #3


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

Definitely Sherlocked. Ben is adorable (and gets more and more handsome with age) and I enjoy watching his other movies, but the Sherlock character is what makes me go weak at the knees first. But it's the same with other actors. I love Hugh Jackman, but mainly as Wolverine. I love Richard Armitage but it is his John Thornton character from North and South that gets me more. Always the characters. Maybe it's because I write and love deep brooding 'characters'. I dunno.

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (March 4, 2014 10:26 am)


http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l27/Forestina/newbanner3_zps1516d275.jpg
 

March 4, 2014 10:12 am  #4


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

Both. I got hooked when watching Sherlock in English but then I discovered all his other films and fell in love with his talent. 


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

March 4, 2014 10:23 am  #5


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

I'm both.

It started with Sherlock, not only did I find him attractive but I was swept away by the character and his brilliance.

And then I was blown away by Ben, not only did I find him attractive but I was blown away by his character and his brilliance.

I think you could have one without the other, but to me they go hand in hand.


.............................................................

I'm clueing for looks

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/tumblr_m37miwpOiE1qa83duo1_r1_500.gif
 

March 4, 2014 10:26 am  #6


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

I'm probably more Benaddicted than Sherlocked, although I absolutely love the show and could watch it over and over and over again (and okay, who am I kidding, I'm doing exactly that...). I love his Sherlock and actually find him very sexy. Yes. PSoS and all that.
But the fact that I am mesmerized by all his performances, from playing Peter Guillam to Hakwing to Khan and Tietjens, probably shows that I adore him even more for being Benedict and the immensely talented actor that he is.

 

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 4, 2014 10:27 am)


___________________________________________________
"Am I the current King of England?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

 
 

March 4, 2014 10:28 am  #7


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I forget where I first saw this question, but: are the female fans in love with Sherlock because he's Benedict or with Benedict because he's Sherlock?

I didn't think women would go for Sherlock as played by Benedict, because, let's face it, the character didn't treat any of the women that liked him too well. Benedict seems more charming when he's being his "public self," than when playing Sherlock.

But women were attracted to Sherlock Holmes even based on the illustrations for the original stories, so who knows?

 
Maybe you should add a poll with your question too. I'd be interested to see what it looks like. But no pressure, of course, just a thought. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png


http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l27/Forestina/newbanner3_zps1516d275.jpg
 

March 4, 2014 11:10 am  #8


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

I'm both...

When I first fell head over heels for Sherlock a few months ago I didn't know who Benedict was... and I'm going to get skinned for saying this; but I wasn't too hot on Benedict on his own. He seems so far from Sherlock and I couldn't recognize the man I had fallen for in him... 

Somehow that seemed to awoke an awe in him though; that a man could immerse himself so far into a Character that I couldn't find the actor in him. And well... it was a gradual thing and here I am; a broody Cumbercollector who just can't get enough! 

I still don't think of Sherlock as Benedict... I really can't see it somehow. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"
https://secure.static.tumblr.com/366e007c7d5d80b608050b4c5e841fb6/clrlpmh/wV7o0y8be/tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif
"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr I AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5
 

March 4, 2014 11:17 am  #9


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

SusiGo wrote:

Both. I got hooked when watching Sherlock in English but then I discovered all his other films and fell in love with his talent. 

And his charms. And his manner. And his eloquence, education, humour etc. etc. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/love.png


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

March 4, 2014 11:32 am  #10


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

SusiGo wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Both. I got hooked when watching Sherlock in English but then I discovered all his other films and fell in love with his talent. 

And his charms. And his manner. And his eloquence, education, humour etc. etc. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/love.png

 
And his looks. 


__________________________________

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan
 

March 4, 2014 11:36 am  #11


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

I'm definitely both.

It all started out as Sherlock being Benedict, it's what made me fall in love with him, but then over time I've fallen in live with Benedict.

I started watching all of his other movies etc. and I can confirm that I've certainly fallen in love with him because instead of it just being Sherlock, anything Ben does makes me weak at the knees.
His personality and his all round kindness and gentleman ways are just perfection.


“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

http://i58.tinypic.com/w2d47d.gif

 
 

March 4, 2014 11:43 am  #12


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

SpiralStaircase wrote:

Definitely Sherlocked. Ben is adorable (and gets more and more handsome with age) and I enjoy watching his other movies, but the Sherlock character is what makes me go weak at the knees first.

This. 

 

March 4, 2014 11:48 am  #13


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

That's a good question.
Ask yourself whether you would like Sherlock if he would look a bit more "ordinary".
Do you know a Sherlockian person? I'm not talking about a real genius of some kind, but a person in your class or at work or a friend who is different or odd and behaves like Sherlock does. Somebody who is blunt, socially awkward and smart and tells the truth whether people want to hear it or not.
Would you recognise this person as being a Sherlockian person if you saw him? He wouldn't wear a deerstalker, of course. Maybe a bobble hat. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cute.png

I'm just thinking myself if there is somebody in my environment.

 

March 4, 2014 11:54 am  #14


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

I do have someone like that in my life and she's my best friend.

Maybe that's why I fell for Sherlock in the first place?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"
https://secure.static.tumblr.com/366e007c7d5d80b608050b4c5e841fb6/clrlpmh/wV7o0y8be/tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif
"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr I AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5
 

March 4, 2014 11:59 am  #15


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

Be wrote:

That's a good question.
Ask yourself whether you would like Sherlock if he would look a bit more "ordinary".
Do you know a Sherlockian person? I'm not talking about a real genius of some kind, but a person in your class or at work or a friend who is different or odd and behaves like Sherlock does. Somebody who is blunt, socially awkward and smart and tells the truth whether people want to hear it or not.
Would you recognise this person as being a Sherlockian person if you saw him? He wouldn't wear a deerstalker, of course. Maybe a bobble hat. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cute.png

I'm just thinking myself if there is somebody in my environment.

 
My hubby is really intelligent and has a Cambridge degree (not trying to brag or anything) and can get rather intense as he immerses himself in intellectual thought. He's nothing like Sherlock, of course, and couldn't deduce a crime scene to save his life, but that intelligence is still there and is one of the things that I find most attractive about him. Fortunately, he isn't a sociopath, and his intellect doesn't quite tip into that weird personality stage, but yeah...I am attracted to intelligent people. Probably because I'm as thick as two short planks!  Well, I'm more into the arts and he's science. I guess we kinda balance out! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (March 4, 2014 12:00 pm)


http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l27/Forestina/newbanner3_zps1516d275.jpg
 

March 4, 2014 1:00 pm  #16


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

If I´m completely honest, "brainy is the new sexy" just works for me if accompanied by good looks, velvety voice, idealistic and realistic personality, social skills (when deemed necessary), a sense how to dress, graceful movements and so on. Gosh, am I shallow or what? But that´s what makes Sherlock for me, not him being odd or socially awkward or a genius. (I´m not enough Amy Farah Fowler to think "Sickly is the new sexy" http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png
)

 

March 4, 2014 6:18 pm  #17


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

rebeccaholmes wrote:

I'm definitely both.

It all started out as Sherlock being Benedict, it's what made me fall in love with him, but then over time I've fallen in live with Benedict.

I started watching all of his other movies etc. and I can confirm that I've certainly fallen in love with him because instead of it just being Sherlock, anything Ben does makes me weak at the knees.
His personality and his all round kindness and gentleman ways are just perfection.

 

Yep this.  My name is Clare and I'm Benaddicted.  He comes across as the most wonderful person and is a real inspiration


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'
 

March 10, 2014 9:29 am  #18


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

Another Benaddict here!  My husband is the true Sherlockian of the house, having read the books and watched Basil Rathbone series as a kid. He told me a few times to give the books and movies a try, I blow it off...then the BBC series comes out, and gradually it sucks me in, til I'm totally engulfed and Cumberbatched! Now he sorta regrets introducing me to it.. but hey, I've started reading the ACD books too. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cool.png


http://i62.tinypic.com/5bwj94.jpg
 

March 10, 2014 10:23 pm  #19


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

CuteCumber wrote:

Another Benaddict here!  My husband is the true Sherlockian of the house, having read the books and watched Basil Rathbone series as a kid. He told me a few times to give the books and movies a try, I blow it off...then the BBC series comes out, and gradually it sucks me in, til I'm totally engulfed and Cumberbatched! Now he sorta regrets introducing me to it.. but hey, I've started reading the ACD books too. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cool.png

Even ACD got letters from women about how attractive they found Sherlock Holmes!

     Thread Starter
 

March 28, 2014 5:12 pm  #20


Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

Im a bit of both.

Well & truly Sherlocked.

But watching clips on YouTube of Ben's other work *watched Hawking & Stuart last week* & was mega blown away and cumbercookie crumbled.


Benedict Cumberbatch
http://i57.tinypic.com/rwm2r9.jpg

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum