BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2014 9:45 pm  #1

And the Oscar goes to...

Anyone watching the Oscars tomorrow? I am an Oscar fan for quite some time now. I try to watch it live every year although it is in the middle of the night in Germany when the show is broadcasted. Last year I felt asleep somewhere in the middle , so I will try to take a nap before the show this time. With Ben as a presenter I have to stay awake, won't want to miss that

Who do you think will win? This year I'am very good prepared, having watched 4 of the movies with the most nominees (Gravity, American Hustle, Dallas Buyers Club, 12 Years a Slave). I can only judge those fims, but for them my votes would be:
Best Picture: Dallas Buyers Club
Best Director: Steve McQueen
Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (I am still a bit pissed that Daniel Brühl hasn't been nominated)
Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o or Jennifer Lawrence (I can't decide)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 1, 2014 9:56 pm  #2

Re: And the Oscar goes to...

I will also watch it.
And my winners are:

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
Best Director: Steve McQueen
Beste Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor (but this is a close call, Bale and McConaughey were heartbreakingly good, as well)
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto
Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
Best Screenplay: Dallas Buyers Club
Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 1, 2014 10:16 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 1, 2014 10:55 pm  #3

I probably won't be watching as I'm not super passionate about any of the nominees or presenters this year, but these are my predictions.

Best Picture
Should Win: Nebraska
Will Win: 12 Years a Slave

Best Director
Should Win: Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave)
Will Win: Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)

Best Actor
Should Win: Bruce Dern (Nebraska) or Chiwetel Ejifor (12 Years a Slave)
Will Win: Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Actress
Should Win: Judi Dench (Philomena)
Will Win: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)

Best Supporting Actor
Should Win: Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
Will Win: Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Supporting Actress
Should Win: June Squibb (Nebraska)
Will Win: Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)

The nominees I'm personally  rooting for are in the "other" categories.  Her for Original Screenplay & Score, Philomena for Adapted Screenplay, The Wind Rises for Animated Feature, Mr. Hublot for Animated Short, The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life for Documentary Short, and The Voorman Problem for Live Action Short.

Last edited by asyouwish (March 1, 2014 10:56 pm)

March 3, 2014 6:41 pm  #4

Well you got some right, although I don't agree with all your choices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 3, 2014 6:51 pm  #5

I was surprised that American Hustle hadn't won anything, especially since it had so much success at the Golden Globes. Pity  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 3, 2014 6:57 pm  #6

And I was surprised that "Gravity" did so well, it's not what I would call a typical movie with lots of OSCAR potential.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 3, 2014 7:42 pm  #7

SolarSystem wrote:

And I was surprised that "Gravity" did so well, it's not what I would call a typical movie with lots of OSCAR potential.

Most of Gravity's wins were for technical achivements and no one can deny the film had that in spades.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 3, 2014 8:09 pm  #8

tonnaree wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Most of Gravity's wins were for technical achivements and no one can deny the film had that in spades.

Yes, but Best Director, that's a huge category. And don't get me wrong, I loved "Gravity", but still I didn't expect this.

March 4, 2014 8:59 am  #9

I personally thought that Steve McQueen should have won the Best Director Oscar. 12 Years A Slave was amazing. Especially when one considers the incredibly short time frame that it was filmed in. Personally, I would expect a winning director to have got at least one nomination for Best Actress or Best Supporting Actor etc. from their cast- that being, after all, a major part of being a great director...getting these special performances from your cast.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 4, 2014 9:53 am  #10

Until Leonardo DiCaprio wins a statue, I'm never going to hear the end of it. Apparently, everyone at work wants him to win.

March 4, 2014 10:09 am  #11

Davina wrote:

I personally thought that Steve McQueen should have won the Best Director Oscar. 12 Years A Slave was amazing. Especially when one considers the incredibly short time frame that it was filmed in. Personally, I would expect a winning director to have got at least one nomination for Best Actress or Best Supporting Actor etc. from their cast- that being, after all, a major part of being a great director...getting these special performances from your cast.

Yes, and Alfonso Cuarón's lead actress Sandra Bullock got a nomination. And apart from her there weren't any other actors in that movie that could have gotten a nomination.

March 4, 2014 12:32 pm  #12

My favourite win other than 12 Years a Slave was Jared Leto; for many reasons.
I've sadly not seen Dallas Buyers Club yet but it's on my list of movies I just have to watch! I feel it's an important character and from what I have seen Jared Leto did a stunning job!

As a member of the LGBT community I was touched that he won for a trans character

As a woman and as a person I'm happy for Jared Leto; what an amazing speech he held! 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 4, 2014 12:35 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 4, 2014 5:54 pm  #13

saturnR wrote:

Until Leonardo DiCaprio wins a statue, I'm never going to hear the end of it. Apparently, everyone at work wants him to win.

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with the fact that he didn't won. I mean, yes, Leonardo DiCaprio is a brilliant actor, I really like him and I'm sure he was good at Wolf of Wall Street (I haven't seen it) but Matthew McConaughey also presented a wonderful, intese and emotionally performance in Dallas Buyers Club. It's not that somebody won who hadn't deserve it. The competition was very fierce this year, I think.

@Pantom Lady: Agreed!!

Last edited by stoertebeker (March 4, 2014 5:55 pm)

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

Board footera