BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2012 3:14 pm  #1

There's more to the show...

There’s something that’s been catching my eye from the very beginning of Sherlock.
It’s encouraging and positive and adds something to the series that is beyond its undoubtedly high entertainment value.
And I dare say it’s not done purely by reason of political correctness.

What I mean is: Apart from the good/bad cliché (which is genuinely ok for crime stories!) I’m sensing a more or less subtle promotion for an understanding of people and their behaviour that may not actually be called “mainstream" .

Example one: The "gay" thing – everything’s fine with it! When Sherlock comes to know that John’s sister is a Lesbian he doesn’t even bat an eyelid; Mrs Hudson – a representative of the older generation – ensures John not to worry because "there are all sorts round here – Mrs Turner next door’s got married ones." Being gay, straight, bi- or asexual or even enjoying recreational scolding (if you are prepared to pay for it): Nothing is judged to be uncommon or condemnable.

Example two: People who exhibit shortcomings in their social behaviour like Sherlock surely cannot be helped by being told "Piss off!". It’s quite promising to see how friendship, understanding and patience can produce positive results, that progress is possible and that in the end it is all worthwhile. Or to say it in Soo Lin Yao’s words: "Sometimes you have to look hard at something to see its value."
What, if John had given up and abandoned Sherlock because of the latter’s compromising behaviour towards John and almost the whole world? Would we have been able to witness one of the most wonderful friendships ever? (Ok - I should know better: it’s only fictional and literature and a TV show, but…!)

What do you think?

Last edited by tobeornot221b (April 11, 2012 3:15 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 11, 2012 3:46 pm  #2

Re: There's more to the show...

tobeornot221b, that's a wonderful observation, and I completely agree with you. It's one of the reasons, why I enjoy the show so much.If Sherlock's and John's relationship should ever take a serious gay turn in the future (I don't think it will, because the creators of the show want to keep everything subtly open), most heterosexual fans of the show would be absolutely fine with it. That's quite an achievement. The CBS show on the other hand will never be able to reach out to those stars.

Last edited by sherlocked (April 11, 2012 3:47 pm)

April 11, 2012 4:51 pm  #3

I know exactly what you mean; I love how it's so open to everyone and every culture/way of life. It's open to basically anything and no-one cares which is great and works exceedingly well! (There’s that problem about EA when they add gay characters in their games and some people don't agree!) Some of my friends watched it/saw parts of it. They didn't bat an eye-lid at Irene. No questions, nothing. It's because it works so well and it’s just so, so great!

You wouldn't expect it to go down so well but it does...  there's usually one complain from what i call "old-school" people (people who don’t agree with gays/bi etc."

- Y.S.H

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DI Lestrade: Sherlock we...
Sherlock Holmes: Oh what now? I'm in shock! Look, I've got a blanket.

April 11, 2012 4:54 pm  #4

tobeornot221b,   nice comments,  and it points out  further ways
that this series is so well done,  even with subtleties.   I like your quote:

" in Soo Lin Yao’s words: "Sometimes you have to look hard at something to see its value." "

Toleration,  and then actually seeing worth in something if you observe
below the surface..  Embracing perceived shortcomings and differences
as variations only, and becoming richer for it.

Hmm, did that mean we've now looked below the surface of "The Blind
Banker"  and have found some value? 

April 11, 2012 5:21 pm  #5

@jensoborn I guess it does

I think you've just got to see past someone and see its worth. no matter what they do or who they prefer. Every person is different in this world and we all have to expect it. Some more than others! That’s one of the beauties of the show!

April 11, 2012 8:28 pm  #6

Yay! Sherlock promotes tolerance and understanding of everyone....I like that idea. Good observation - you saw and then deduced. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 11, 2012 8:40 pm  #7

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yay! Sherlock promotes tolerance and understanding of everyone....I like that idea. Good observation - you saw and then deduced. 

Yes, Yes he did! It's another great reason to add to the "A million reasons to watch Sherlock" 

- Y.S.H

April 12, 2012 2:27 am  #8

tobeornot221b wrote:

Example one: The "gay" thing – everything’s fine with it! When Sherlock comes to know that John’s sister is a Lesbian he doesn’t even bat an eyelid; Mrs Hudson – a representative of the older generation – ensures John not to worry because "there are all sorts round here – Mrs Turner next door’s got married ones." Being gay, straight, bi- or asexual or even enjoying recreational scolding (if you are prepared to pay for it): Nothing is judged to be uncommon or condemnable.

Do you really think that Mrs Hudson lowering her voice to speak in a soft voice and calling a couple "married ones" is showing acceptance of gayness? I find it typical behaviour for many people that age & younger. "Married ones"? She may as well be referring to parrots or cats or dogs. I don't find that showing much 'acceptance' but rather acknowledging the existence of gay people and possibly their right to be members of society. But to be truly 'accepting' of anyone would mean you felt no need to lower your voice when speaking of them in public or in private. Her reference to the couple WAS in private so I doubt she would speak of them at all in public.
As for Sherlock, he would understand homosexuality as being a natural part of the Animal Kingdom; it happens just as red hair happens; just as freckles happen; just as left handedness happens. He certainly would never consider judging anyone on any of their traits so him 'not batting an eyelid' over a mere fact is a non-event.

In reality, I don't believe the show makes any comment on acceptance/non acceptance of anyone's lifestyle whatsoever. It doesn't need to. It's not relevant to the show. The most we get are funny 'digs' about whether Sherlock & John are gay which happens is many societies these days anyway. But it certainly doesn't make any social commentary on the subject.

Example two: People who exhibit shortcomings in their social behaviour like Sherlock surely cannot be helped by being told "Piss off!". It’s quite promising to see how friendship, understanding and patience can produce positive results, that progress is possible and that in the end it is all worthwhile. Or to say it in Soo Lin Yao’s words: "Sometimes you have to look hard at something to see its value."
What, if John had given up and abandoned Sherlock because of the latter’s compromising behaviour towards John and almost the whole world? Would we have been able to witness one of the most wonderful friendships ever? (Ok - I should know better: it’s only fictional and literature and a TV show, but…!)

What do you think?

It's a dysfunctional friendship but one that works. Lots of people have similar. But you could never say each of them would trust the other 100% on absolutely any matter. If anything it shows how very opposite people can 'work together' for a common goal but from very different perspectives.

I really don't see this show as a 'feel good' moment in human behaviour & interaction. As far as that area is concerned, to me it highlights a lot of human faults. Certainly not a show to base any meaningful 'life lessons' from. I think Moftiss, Cumberbatch & Freeman could turn collectively quite pale if they thought that was happening,

JMHO

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 12, 2012 4:14 am  #9

I’m not convinced, Kazza; I’m not that pessimistic. The show, sold to more than 180 countries in the world, can certainly prepare the ground for more acceptance regarding "undesirable" human behaviour in certain societies and in people’s minds next door.
And I wouldn’t underestimate the power of the internet these days. No need to be reminded of North Africa - just think of the “Believe† campaign!
As for me, I do believe in the show’s tiny contribution to raise awareness for taking more care of people, for values like loyalty, trust, friendship – against all odds!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 12, 2012 5:49 am  #10

tobeornot221b, Martin Freeman agrees with your thoughts about the show. I saw an interview, where he expressed many of the same thoughts and said sommething like , 'the beauty is, that people are drawn in and don't even notice, because the show is not about political correctness'. If I find the link again, I will post it.

April 12, 2012 6:14 am  #11

tobeornot221b wrote:

I’m not convinced, Kazza; I’m not that pessimistic.

That's not pessimism. It's reality.  You term what you are posting about as "the gay thing". For a start, just seeing those words instantly causes my head to hit the keyboard repeatedly.

Look Sherlock is a good show but don't give it 'Messiah ' status as being the show that will unite the world in love peace & mung beans. That's just going over the top.

I am glad that for you it sends that sort of message, I guess each of us gets 'the message' in a different way. I think I'd have to stand on my head and view it in a rose coloured mirror to get anything like that out of it. I don't see any special revelation hitting me otherwise.
The only way the homosexual community would see any 'attraction' to the show would be those who choose to follow the fantasy of John & Sherlock as a couple and that's never gonna happen in reality.

JMHO

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 12, 2012 6:42 am  #12

But I wanted mung beans

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 12, 2012 7:16 am  #13

Aww, but if people watch the show and get that kind of a message from it then that's a surely a really good thing, regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

April 12, 2012 7:48 am  #14

Wholocked wrote:

But I wanted mung beans

No more mung beans till you eat your brussel sprouts!!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 12, 2012 7:58 am  #15

yes well I suppose if BBC Sherlock can make millions of people accepting of other people's personas then we must have more of it.
They'd have to change the genre the show would be advertised under though I guess.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 12, 2012 8:20 am  #16

In my opinion, "the gay thing" is just used as some sort of comic relief sometimes. I'm with kazza about Mrs. Hudson's words... and the rest of the time is something that Sherlock just ignores and John gets angry about. I think it works as something funny sometimes, but if they keep going that way it may end up beeing a bit tiring. And I really don't like the idea of Sherlock and John becoming a gay couple. I have absolutely nothing against gay couples (a lot of my friends are), it's just it would not work for me. I think his friendship is marvellous as it is, no need to watch them kissing each other or whatever. Apparently, some people can't accept that there are real friendships, really loving ones, without the need of sex between the two friends.

On the other hand, I do agree that there's more to the show, as tobeornot221b said; John's patience with Sherlock, Mrs. Hudson unconditional love for him or Lestrade's trust in him are a real help for Sherlock to develop some kind of "human side". There really are people in this world as socially unable as his is (maybe not as smart and observant and deductive) and it's kind of heartwarming to see how people can help someone like him. He sometimes looks so helpless and so needed of someone to tell him what's right or wrong... I even feel sometimes that he needs a lot of protection. And he gets it. And that makes him at the end a better man (paraphrasing Lestrade's words).

So, yes, for me there are things beyond the adventures, the deductions, the rudeness and the gay thing. It's friendship, a really beautiful kind of friendship, where people can see beyond the outside looks and the bad manners and love a different, certainly damaged person in their own way.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 12, 2012 9:10 am  #17

Freeman apparently considers 'Sherlock' to be the 'gayest show ever '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8531671/Sherlock-is-the-gayest-story-in-the-history-of-television-says-Martin-Freeman.html

Don't know, if I agree with Martin, but apparently even the actors have their own interpretation. And this is exactly, what's so great about the show. It's all fine...

Last edited by sherlocked (April 12, 2012 9:13 am)

April 12, 2012 9:44 am  #18

Ah well, if Freeman says it is, it must be true.

I'll have to re-watch the whole lot now, I obviously missed the most important parts.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

April 12, 2012 9:46 am  #19

It is the gayest show ever! But then there's also this article when he says the characters definitely aren't gay: http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/sherlock-stars-rubbish-gay-speculation/256605

I don't mind all the jokes about it and I don't mind all the fans that write fan fic & roleplay about it because it's all part of the fun...but it won't ever happen for real in the show. That would just be stupid. I think we'll probably get a hug after their post-Reichenbach reunion but that'll be as far as it goes. 

April 12, 2012 10:11 am  #20

Well, I don't agree with adorable Martin. I don't think it's the gayest show ever... why? Because those are two men that love each other in a non sexual way? Then I must be the gayest woman ever... I love my female friends to death, though I would never have sex with any of them.

I hope it never happens in the show, really. As I said, it wouldn't work for me. But neither would work Sherlock with Molly or even Sherlock with Irene.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

Board footera