BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2014 4:43 am  #1

Alan Stockwell...

...is the author of a bunch of Sherlock Holmes stories, the collection being called The Singular Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Singular Exploits

Not sure whether he intended Johnlock or not, but: - In one story, a man is discovered to have faked his death, and Watson has this to say:  "I think it inexcusable that a man should pretend to be dead to those closest to him. I thought so before, when I certain person I know appeared to be drowned, but was in fact gallivanting all over Europe."

Since Watson also says he can't believe the man in this case, who was married, would do that to his wife, it comes across as though he's saying losing Holmes was like losing a spouse. 

In another story, Watson is mad because Holmes put him in danger (kind of  without Watson's knowledge):

Watson: Imagine poor Mary, if I'd been killed

Holmes: That aspect never occurred to me, but I would have made sure the bullet hit me before it harmed you.

Holmes, while posing as an architect to investigate a supposedly haunted house, putting on an "effeminate manner," much to Watson's consternation

"I cringed to think that this most masculine of men should choose to appear to the world as a gilded butterfly" - direct quote from Watson - sounds a bit homophobic, but it could be read as kind of an "Oh my god, he's going to give us away." And he's commenting on Holmes' masculinity - which he does in canon.

As part of his pose, Holmes expresses the hope that the rooms he and Watson are staying in are near each other - in case he becomes frightened in the night

In yet another story, Watson stays with another bachelor friend, Bob, who is also very close with a local reverend (also a bachelor). When Watson hurts his ankle, Holmes suddenly shows up to provide support, "moral and practical," for Watson - but ends up ruining Watson's friendship with Bob, through Holmesian antics, which he justifies as necessarily to clear up the solution to a mystery without coming between Bob and the reverend. It's like, he wants Bob and the Reverend to be a pair so he can have Watson to himself.

Mary is around in many of the stories and we get a sense of Holmes and Watson living rather separate lives. Whenever they have occasion to stay at an inn, Watson seems to make it a point to emphasize that they have two rooms, far away from each other.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 24, 2014 4:46 am)

Board footera