BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2014 7:54 pm  #601

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

She's just John's wife...I don't necessarily see her as a wedge between the boys...but I'd prefer her not to be around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 20, 2014 8:00 pm  #602

besleybean wrote:

She's just John's wife...I don't necessarily see her as a wedge between the boys...but I'd prefer her not to be around.

Err. She kinda drove a wedge between them when she shot Sherlock! 

August 20, 2014 8:04 pm  #603

Well at the moment I'm accepting that Sherlock and John  have both forgiven her.

Last edited by besleybean (August 20, 2014 8:04 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 20, 2014 8:42 pm  #604

Well, I liked the character and I'm happy to see a more positive view of her, if there's evidence for it.  It's just that some things are difficult to ignore.

If I try to put a positive slant on it ... Sherlock comes back from the dead trying to save John (again).  He doesn't try to get John away from Mary.  Instead, he goes to great lengths to make Mary tell John the truth and to keep them together.  There's just a chance that he wants them to stay together because Mary is protecting John in some way - he doesn't think John is danger from Mary, but from someone/something else.  I'm not convinced of that at the moment, but maybe somebody can convince me - how is Mary protecting John?

Last edited by Liberty (August 20, 2014 9:10 pm)

August 20, 2014 8:53 pm  #605

Swanpride, seriously: You keep on talking and talking about "Mary hatred", when in fact most people on this board who argue against Mary do this by giving examples and mentioning scenes and scenes and scenes in a very factual way. You seem to be the only one who is very emotional about this. Sorry, but "wääääääääh...."...? Is that supposed to mean that people who criticize Mary do this by screaming and shouting? The only one who's screaming and shouting seems to be you.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 20, 2014 8:57 pm  #606

The discussion here has been fair and respectful and this is the way it should remain. Mary seems to be the most controversially discussed subject in the whole of series 3 and this is something one has to accept. I can see no blind "Mary hatred" in here.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2014 9:00 pm  #607

Swanpride wrote:

@Harriet I have already wrote long posts detailing every single scene in which Mary shows how much she loves John. I once even quoted every instance in which she says that she loves him after some people claimed that she never said that. I pointed out every essays about the validity of the claim that it was a surgery shot, and even wrote an essay myself about the validity of discussing the shooting based on medical terms vs discussing it in-universe (it's here btw: http://swanpride2.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/tv-vs-reality-or-the-anatomy-of-a-shooting/ ). I am simply tired of arguing, because no matter what, it will always be answered with
1. wääääääääh....she shoot Sherlock!!!!!
2. wääääääääh....she upsets out bromance!!!!!
or
3. wääääääääh....how can you interpret anything she does in a positive light!!!!

I am tired of this...even the threat I started for Mary lovers is not free from "I could say something against it, but I won't do it out of respect" posts (which are in itself already a negative commentary). There is a reason why I was barely here the last months. No matter what the topic is, it is all about pointing out how awful Mary is. I am not even sure if it is a majority opinion, because it's usually the same people who keep doing it. It is impossible to discuss anything, because everything is immediatly bogged down by Mary hatred.
So no, I won't make another long post trying to argue my point...I have done it often enough, and I got shut down often enough. You make one positive post concerning her, and immediatly two or three people make a choin posts until your words are buried. I won't bother anymore.

Swanpride-- do you realize that no one is out to hurt you by discussing this? No-one wants to hurt your feelings at all. There's no hate on this thread at all--just people expressing their own opinions. 

But seriously, don't you think that everyone should be allowed to express their opinions? Including you? That's what the board is all about-- but it's all in good fun. Try to remember that we're all pals, here. 

August 20, 2014 9:03 pm  #608

Respectully submitting the idea that Mary "showing love" towards John doesn't negate lying about her past, shooting Sherlock (her friend!!!!) , commiting multiple murders (assassin), manipulating your partner--  this is a case of love not being enough. 

August 20, 2014 9:16 pm  #609

But you also have to accept that this is not a conspiracy to put you off, Swanpride. This is our honest opinion after watching the show. And nobody is "stewing in hatred". This choice of words is quite offensive. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2014 9:17 pm  #610

There are a lot of threads where Mary isn't mentioned or only barely mentioned. But you only seem to be interested in Mary anyway, so you probably don't read them?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 20, 2014 9:27 pm  #611

Yeah, well, the only person who is starting her sentences with "wäääääh..." seems to be you.
And maybe you could just read properly what other people are writing. Sherlock and Mary on the motorbike being boring has nothing to do with Mary but with the fact that the scene is too long and, yes, BORING. Not everything has something to do with Mary, you know.

August 20, 2014 9:28 pm  #612

The strange thing is that you seem to be the only one who is having these problems. No one has complained so far about things being one-sided. And I repeat that this is no conspiracy but what people think and feel when watching the show. Do you really think there is a secret understanding to turn everything into an Anti-Mary thread? She is a controversial character and an unsolved mystery and therefore people discuss her. This is all. 

August 20, 2014 9:38 pm  #613

I am one of the mods and no one has complained to me about the atmosphere. I always try to ensure that people can discuss things in a respectful and friendly way. There is always fluctuation among members of a forum and it is only natural that it is getting more quiet after a series has aired and many things have been discussed in quite a short time. People can speak up anytime if they wish to do so and have done this in the past. But I repeat, no one had said that they do not feel happy around here because of the Mary discussion. 

August 20, 2014 9:39 pm  #614

Sorry, SP, I can't take that wäääääh-stuff seriously. It's unworthy of you, I should think.
You could do better (kinder, fairer, ...), couldn't you?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 20, 2014 9:41 pm  #615

I apologise if I've offended anyone: you, Swanpride, or anybody lurking.  I am so new to this series, and get very excited when I spot something I haven't noticed before.  It's difficult ignore Mary because she features so largely in Season 3, and there is a huge revelation attached to her, and some things which aren't explained.  So I think people are going to explore that, regardless of what they feel for the character.  There are two sides to Mary and I don't think we know enough yet to know which side "wins".   I'm more than happy to believe that she might turn out to be one of the good guys in the end, if somebody can persuade me.  After all, "guardian" fits with Sherlock wanting her to stay with John. 

August 20, 2014 9:45 pm  #616

You do not have to apologise, Liberty. As far as I can see, no one has said anything insulting or offensive. We are usually quite a nice and respectful bunch. 

August 20, 2014 9:52 pm  #617

Swanpride wrote:

Did you ever consider that I am the only one who bothers to speak up? Or did you notice that some people who used to be here more often are barely around anymore? Or that I only posted in the off-topic threat for months? But really, why do I bother to express how I feel about the current atmosphere here.

Actually, Swanpride-- I left, for months. And it was because anytime the subject of Mary came up, and anyone, including myself, dared to say anything that was not in praise of her character , they were subjected to being called a hater, and that they were making it hard for others to be here. And most of the time the person doing the accusing was you, Swanpride. And I could tell that you're really sensitive, and I didn't want to hurt your feelings. So, I left. And I missed everyone. 

So now I'm back, and the same thing is happening again. 

Sigh. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 20, 2014 9:55 pm)

August 20, 2014 9:54 pm  #618

Sorry to hear that, Raven. I hope you will stay because most of us have discussed things in a lively and passionate yet respectful way. 

August 20, 2014 9:55 pm  #619

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry to hear that, Raven. I hope you will stay because most of us have discussed things in a lively and passionate yet respectful way. 

Oh, I'm staying this time-- I missed y'all waaaay too much! :-)

August 20, 2014 10:00 pm  #620

Swanpride wrote:

@SusiGo Do you really think anybody would pm you, considering that you are one of the most vocal Anti-Mary posters?
And it is not true that the issue was never brought up....in fact you yourself noted the heated climate months ago in the rant threat. If you remember, I was back then optimistic that this would die down...but what instead happened is that one fraction took over the forum, nearly silencing the other fraction. I guess you don't notice anymore because your opiion is more at the "winning side"...if there is such a thing. Believe me, if you are actually look forward to the next season, this forum can really suck the joy out of you. Not just concerning Mary, but she has become the "symbol of discontent".
@Liberty Don't worry, you are certainly not unwelcome here. The underlying agressivity has been present for quite some time.

Just speaking up for SusiGo-- Swanpride: That's a pretty hurtful thing to say, and SusiGo really doesn't deserve it. 

Board footera