BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2014 4:40 pm  #581

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

I keep going back the theory that Mary (when she went "freelance") worked for Moriarty. I think she assigned to John-- and then, unexpectedly "fell in love", or in her case, became obsessed with him. 
And that's why John, if he knew what she'd done, would stop loving her. 

August 20, 2014 4:41 pm  #582

You have a point there. For me her being an ex-assassin and (still) an excellent shot is a bit too much of a coincidence. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2014 4:45 pm  #583

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I keep going back the theory that Mary (when she went "freelance") worked for Moriarty. I think she assigned to John-- and then, unexpectedly "fell in love", or in her case, became obsessed with him. 

(Which is the plot of a great fanfiction, Shallow Grave, by Silent Auror, btw.)

Last edited by Harriet (August 20, 2014 5:00 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 20, 2014 4:58 pm  #584

@ ReReader. good point about Sherlock's return being the trigger for CAM looking into Mary's past.  That fits well with the telegram scene.  The trouble is that it still seems a coincidence that Mary happens to be an assassin.  She's just one of a few work colleagues of John's - what are the odds?  And ..

@ SusiGo, I don't think Janine being Mary's friend is a coincidence.  I think Mary befriended her because she was CAM's PA.  So it can't be true that Mary was only aware of CAM as a threat at the wedding.  She must have known before Sherlock returned and been planning to deal with it (by befriending Janine).

@Raven I don't want Mary to be working for Moriarty because I preferred CAM as a villain.  I could even see Mary as a villain in her own right.  But a connection does make sense.  It's strange that Moriarty appears at the end of the episode "about" Mary, and that of the people who saw Sherlock off on the plane, Mary is the least trustworthy. 

@Tykobrian I will try to read that (the length is a bit daunting), but I really don't want Moriarty to take over.  I liked that Sherlock turned out to be one step ahead of him all the way in TRF and that he outwitted him at the end. 

August 20, 2014 5:05 pm  #585

Harriet wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Oh, she's fabulous.  I think there's also a meta called the M-theory that talks about it. Makes a lot of sense.

August 20, 2014 5:39 pm  #586

So, what I'm getting from this is that Mary's entrance into John's life was a set-up from the beginning. It took time to cultivate a relationship with Janine; it took time to place her in John's clinic as a nurse; here's one of my pet theories--

John grieved for quite a while, and I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped off the map for a bit. Meanwhile, Moriarty's dead-- and he leaves a power vacumn behind. But Sherlock is dead--right?

So when all of a sudden, somebody starts taking out Moriarty's network-- they have to wonder who that might be. Sherlock? Not dead? But they can't find him. How best to find him?

John Watson.

So they plant Mary with John, who has finally gone back to work--because they're sure that Sherlock would keep contact with him, or at least let John know if he was alive. And then, Mary could take him out. And possibly, John too-- at least originally. 

Remember in TEH, Sherlock's rats, or markers? I think that's what John was for Moriarty's people. 

In canon Sebastian Moran was Moriarty's right hand man. Suppose Mary is Moriarty's second in command? 

You'd have to be very, very good to be that duplicitous and convincing for that long.

Here's another thing I'm curious about-- what the heck did CAM have on Janine? Hmmmn. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 20, 2014 5:43 pm)

August 20, 2014 5:49 pm  #587

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Harriet wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Oh, she's fabulous.  I think there's also a meta called the M-theory that talks about it. Makes a lot of sense.

You've read M- thoery??  That's the meta I've just linked here. It is rather fabuos as I feel it succeeds in explaining pretty much all the mysteries and even the plot holes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 20, 2014 6:08 pm  #588

I agree with you, unless the team really are being devious in their portrayal.
As I've said before: we don't see John and Mary having sex on screen either, but we know they do that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 20, 2014 6:33 pm  #589

But what about the things we do see Mary do on screen? I for one always took what was shown on screen and viewed Mary that way. But still in my eyes she is an emotionally abusive and fundamentally bad person. Those of who are supporting Mary as a person who loves John could you please elaborate? And how do you view her shooting Sherlock? Would you still support her if Sherlock died? And what is your opinion on her never ever even saying sorry? Do you really feel that saying sorry is something that we should think is implied? I had posted my thoughts about Mary a few pages ago. If you have the time to read through it you'll see that what we see depicted on screen so far simply shows us that Mary is an emotionally abusive and morally bad person. Yes her story is not finished but so far what we know of her paints her in this way. It's a simple reading. And also whose behaviour you are saying that people brush aside and forgive? Would you kindly specify and if possible compare it to some of mary's actions?

Last edited by tykobrian (August 20, 2014 6:35 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 20, 2014 6:34 pm  #590

tykobrian wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Harriet wrote:

You've read M- thoery??  That's the meta I've just linked here. It is rather fabuos as I feel it succeeds in explaining pretty much all the mysteries and even the plot holes.

Oh, yes-- I read it quite a while ago. It's very thorough. 

August 20, 2014 6:37 pm  #591

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

tykobrian wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Oh, yes-- I read it quite a while ago. It's very thorough. 

\

Thorough. Yes. Thorough is the word I'll use for that meta! LSiT is a genius. 

August 20, 2014 6:48 pm  #592

Not so convincing, Swanpride, imho. Hardly a reply to the detailed and thoughtful essay.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 20, 2014 7:01 pm  #593

All of these discussions have the sane response: we'll have to wait and see.
Incidentally, the most brilliantly written piece in the world can still be wrong.
I can cite any number of examples off the top of my head!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 20, 2014 7:02 pm  #594

This is something that has bothered me for a long time: there's a tendency to take criticism of Mary very personally, as if fans themselves are being attacked. What we're doing is discussing a fictional character. What would be appropriate here is a detailed, point-by-point article making a case for  a Pro-Mary viewpoint. It's rare to find an actual meta that does that. It's a shame, because there are many of us who would love to see one, regardless of what our stance on the subject is. 

August 20, 2014 7:04 pm  #595

Well apart form her dodgy past, she appears to be the best example of  the modern woman: working, sexy, funny, game ...

August 20, 2014 7:12 pm  #596

besleybean wrote:

Well apart form her dodgy past, she appears to be the best example of  the modern woman: working, sexy, funny, game ...

She's all of those things, yes-- but she's also possibly the worst example I can think of when it regards women in love. You're afraid that your friend might reveal to your husband that you used to kill people for money, and that might cause you to lose his love? You shoot your friend. Not. Good. This isn't behavior to adulate or emulate. 

And again, liking her because she's got game isn't an explanation of why she should be regarded as a sympathetic character.

August 20, 2014 7:25 pm  #597

Well these points possibly may not be answerable until we ever find out who is after Mary and why.
The theory is Mary is now safe...Sherlock risked everything on this assumption.
So what is to become of her?

August 20, 2014 7:32 pm  #598

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

This is something that has bothered me for a long time: there's a tendency to take criticism of Mary very personally, as if fans themselves are being attacked. What we're doing is discussing a fictional character. What would be appropriate here is a detailed, point-by-point article making a case for  a Pro-Mary viewpoint. It's rare to find an actual meta that does that. It's a shame, because there are many of us who would love to see one, regardless of what our stance on the subject is. 

^This^ - especially since I liked Mary for quite a long time... but I couldn't keep it up since there was too much evidence against her character.

August 20, 2014 7:37 pm  #599

Well bearing in mind I never wanted John to get a wife at alI  I think what they came up with was about the best they could do in the circumstances.

Last edited by besleybean (August 20, 2014 7:38 pm)

August 20, 2014 7:48 pm  #600

besleybean wrote:

Well bearing in mind I never wanted John to get a wife at alI  I think what they came up with was about the best they could do in the circumstances.

Me, either! 

But then,since obiviously TPTB didn't stick to canon for Mary's character, did they feel the need to insert her--into the story, and between John and Sherlock? 

Board footera