BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2014 9:56 am  #561

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

Yes, you have even been reblogged by SilentAuror, the well-known fanfic writer. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2014 10:09 am  #562

Liberty wrote:

But if she doesn't love him, then what?  What drew her to him and tied her to him, to the extent that she'd kill to keep him?  I'm not saying that it has to be love. In fact, I'm saying that there's maybe some other reason, but I haven't worked out what.

Well ... maybe to protect the "new" life that she created ... her facade?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 20, 2014 10:22 am  #563

gently69 wrote:

Liberty wrote:

But if she doesn't love him, then what?  What drew her to him and tied her to him, to the extent that she'd kill to keep him?  I'm not saying that it has to be love. In fact, I'm saying that there's maybe some other reason, but I haven't worked out what.

Whatever it was, I can't believe it just sort of happened. What do we say about coincidence? It's hard to believe that a former CIA agent meets of all things John Watson, the friend of the famous Sherlock Holmes, just by accident. There has to be something else and yes, it is of course possible that step by step she really fell in love with him (although I agree that I don't really see this on screen, let alone feel it). But if there is something else and Mary didn't just meet John by chance, an explanation needs to be given in the next episode.  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 20, 2014 10:26 am  #564

Where can I sign this?

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2014 10:28 am  #565

Like to sign it too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 20, 2014 10:31 am  #566

Me too *waving hands*

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 20, 2014 10:36 am  #567

What do we call this, "crowd signing"...? 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 20, 2014 10:56 am  #568

What sign??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 20, 2014 11:00 am  #569

I wanted to sign SolarSystem's request for an explanation. 

August 20, 2014 12:12 pm  #570

SolarSystem wrote:

gently69 wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Whatever it was, I can't believe it just sort of happened. What do we say about coincidence? It's hard to believe that a former CIA agent meets of all things John Watson, the friend of the famous Sherlock Holmes, just by accident. There has to be something else and yes, it is of course possible that step by step she really fell in love with him (although I agree that I don't really see this on screen, let alone feel it). But if there is something else and Mary didn't just meet John by chance, an explanation needs to be given in the next episode.  

It definitely needs an explanation, and I'm surprised there wasn't one by the end of the series.  But maybe it's part of the cliffhanger.  It does seem too much of a coincidence, even if Sherlock was "dead" at the time. 

I don't think John was part of her facade, for that reason.  Why choose somebody with such famous connections to that other world?  And again, why the flashy wedding, with the star guest in a prominent role?  If it was all about keeping the facade, it would have been better to lie low. 

It's a pity, as I liked Mary, but you lot are making me see more and more of that sinister side.  Perhaps it was a clever move casting Amanda, as it's difficult to think of Martin's lovely girlfriend as a villain.  And Mary in the books seemed lovely too.   But then we see Mary and John falling in love in the books - it's striking that we don't see that at all in the TV series.   Mary must have been lying all along to John, not just about the big lie, but about all the little details, the things a couple might talk about in their past (where she's lived and worked and so on). 

Mary didn't have time to train and become a practice nurse (they're usually experienced nurses) with the new identity, so must have trained as a nurse earlier and then become an assassin.  Something about that makes me uncomfortable - her choosing a caring career, seeing death and seeing it affect people, then choosing to kill people for a living.  I suppose we don't know the full story about her reasons.

Last edited by Liberty (August 20, 2014 12:35 pm)

August 20, 2014 12:12 pm  #571

I miss so much great conversation in the middle of the night.  Well, the middle of my night. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 20, 2014 1:30 pm  #572

Liberty wrote:

Mary didn't have time to train and become a practice nurse (they're usually experienced nurses) with the new identity, so must have trained as a nurse earlier and then become an assassin. 

Do we know that for sure? Do we know for how long she hasn't 'worked as an assassin' anymore and when she 'changed jobs'? I'm not sure it's mentioned in the show, but maybe someone has a better memory than myself?

One piece of the puzzle at least is still missing. The whole Magnussen thing presents itself as a huge coincidence as well. Mary is dealing with him the same time Sherlock has to deal with him? I don't buy this. Or maybe I just don't see the obvious?

August 20, 2014 2:23 pm  #573

Well Mary could very well be the adaptation of Col. Sebastian Moran, Moriarty’s trusted sniper from ACD canon. I think more or less similar to canon she was stationed by Moriarty to look for any signs of Sherlock’s return. The moment I learned that she is a contract killer/ crack shot my suspicions shot through the roof. The canon Mary was nothing like that.

The signs indicating Mary being Moran are rather compelling. Sherlock’s way of exposing Mary’s true nature (to John) almost totally matches with the canon. If you can recall, Moran was a respected person to his peers and seemed nothing like Moriatry’s trusted assassin that he was. In the Empty House Moran was hunting down Sherlock and at one time he planned to snipe Sherlock at his flat positioned from an empty house nearby. But Sherlock and Watson were already aware and so they covertly waited for him in that house. To fool him Sherlock placed a dummy shaped like his silhouette which can be seen from the flat for Moran to shoot. So when he did shoot thinking it was Sherlock he was caught red handed and arrested. The similarities are in-your-face and irrefutable if you ask me. On the other hand I’ve found no such canonical similarity with Col. Moran’s character with Lord Moran in TEH.

Also in canon, Moran was present and assisting Moriarty in the Reichenbach Falls to kill Holmes. I found that interesting. 

Last edited by tykobrian (August 20, 2014 2:29 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 20, 2014 2:47 pm  #574

SolarSystem wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Mary didn't have time to train and become a practice nurse (they're usually experienced nurses) with the new identity, so must have trained as a nurse earlier and then become an assassin. 

Do we know that for sure? Do we know for how long she hasn't 'worked as an assassin' anymore and when she 'changed jobs'? I'm not sure it's mentioned in the show, but maybe someone has a better memory than myself?

One piece of the puzzle at least is still missing. The whole Magnussen thing presents itself as a huge coincidence as well. Mary is dealing with him the same time Sherlock has to deal with him? I don't buy this. Or maybe I just don't see the obvious?

I looked up the transcripts at Arianne De Vere's journal(thank you to people here for linking there, and to her for doing them - they're fantastic!), as I had 5 years in my head and wasn't sure where it came from.  Anyway, it's this:
"Mary Morstan was stillborn in October 1972.  Her gravestone is in Chiswick Cemetery where - five years ago - you acquired her name and date of birth and thereafter her identity.  That's why you don't have friends from before that date." 
Looking at John's blog, he was seeing Mary in the April of the year before the wedding, so that's at least a year and half of the 5 years gone.  That leaves three and a half years.   That's pushing it to even fit in basic nursing training, given that she would need to apply and wait for a start date.  Practice nurses usually have experience and further training after qualifying and she wouldn't have time to fit that in.   (Unless she was somehow planted in the surgery, by someone).  Oddly, Mary doesn't seem to be doing any actual nursing at the surgery, which might suggest that she isn't really a nurse and was placed there, undercover.   That would need the collusion of the whole practice, though.  And Sherlock believes she's a nurse. 

And of course, being a nurse, isn't incompatible with being an assassin.  There have been a few serial killers who were nurses, and come to think of it, the profession might draw somebody who was interested in death.  It's maybe not such a wild leap as I thought, sadly.  Angel of mercy to angel of death. 

No, I'm not buying the Magnusson coincidence either. 

tykobrian wrote:

Well Mary could very well be the adaptation of Col. Sebastian Moran, Moriarty’s trusted sniper from ACD canon. I think more or less similar to canon she was stationed by Moriarty to look for any signs of Sherlock’s return. The moment I learned that she is a contract killer/ crack shot my suspicions shot through the roof. The canon Mary was nothing like that.

The signs indicating Mary being Moran are rather compelling. Sherlock’s way of exposing Mary’s true nature (to John) almost totally matches with the canon. If you can recall, Moran was a respected person to his peers and seemed nothing like Moriatry’s trusted assassin that he was. In the Empty House Moran was hunting down Sherlock and at one time he planned to snipe Sherlock at his flat positioned from an empty house nearby. But Sherlock and Watson were already aware and so they covertly waited for him in that house. To fool him Sherlock placed a dummy shaped like his silhouette which can be seen from the flat for Moran to shoot. So when he did shoot thinking it was Sherlock he was caught red handed and arrested. The similarities are in-your-face and irrefutable if you ask me. On the other hand I’ve found no such canonical similarity with Col. Moran’s character with Lord Moran in TEH.

Also in canon, Moran was present and assisting Moriarty in the Reichenbach Falls to kill Holmes. I found that interesting. 

Oh yes, the dummy has got to be a reference to TEH! 

I wondered about Moriarty too.  Isn't it odd that he (or his image) pops up just as Sherlock is sent off? 

Maybe I'm mixing the series' together too much, but if Mary was working for Moriarty (or is or becomes Moriarty in some way) it would make sense for her to be keeping an eye on John to check that Sherlock is still dead.  No wonder Sherlock couldn't contact John!  Except ... she isn't shocked enough at the restaurant, is she?   And Sherlock doesn't read much that's telling about her, apart from "liar".  So maybe not.

Last edited by Liberty (August 20, 2014 2:50 pm)

August 20, 2014 2:59 pm  #575

Just some random remarks: Leinster Gardens is quite a nice take on "The Empty House". So there really might be a connection between Mary and Moran. 

Mary as a nurse: Someone remarked on tumblr that her bandaging Billy's arm did not look very professional. Maybe she just could not be bothered but in my non-medical opinion bandaging a sprain would include at least the wrist or the elbow joint and not just the forearm itself. 

August 20, 2014 3:27 pm  #576

SolarSystem wrote:

Actually, this is not a missing element at all--Magnussen himself told Sherlock and John that Mary was John's pressure point, John was Sherlock's pressure point, and Sherlock was Mycroft's pressure point, and that the whole point of threatening Mary was to give himself control of Mycroft and, through Mycroft, whatever parts of the UK government he didn't already control.

It seems to me that if she was planted by Mycroft, she wouldn't be a good pressure point for Magnussen--she'd just go to Mycroft when Magnussen tried blackmailing her, and the trail would be cut off quite easily. And if she was planted by Moriarty or had anything to do with him, she wouldn't be a good pressure point either--I'd imagine a criminal network like that could either take care of Magnussen, or they'd just pull her out and try something else.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

August 20, 2014 3:32 pm  #577

And yet I find it difficult to see all this as pure coincidence. Mary meeting John; Mary's past being known to CAM; Janine working for CAM ...

August 20, 2014 3:51 pm  #578

Well if anybody is interested to spend some time reading here is a favourite meta of mine with plays with the idea that Jim is alive and both Janine and Mary are his minions. Also Magnussen was one of his associates who supplied him with media power back in TRF. He's manuvered Sherlock to kill him and has now taken over his infrastructure. Also it is proposed there that Mycroft is under Moriarty's thumb. What really impressed me is that the analysis starts from ASiP to HLV and considers every event showed on screen even the supplementary online blogs and maintained the integraty of it's basic assumptions. And I thought the author drew the conclusions using very sound logics and facts seen on the screen. But fair warning, it's around 85k words! 

August 20, 2014 4:25 pm  #579

SusiGo wrote:

And yet I find it difficult to see all this as pure coincidence. Mary meeting John; Mary's past being known to CAM; Janine working for CAM ...

But there's no reason whatsoever to assume that  Mary's past was "known" to CAM, it was something he went looking for! CAM was actively looking for pressure points that would lead him to Mycroft. In service of that aim he'd have been constantly looking for chains that could lead him there, so when Sherlock came back, he'd automatically try to find dirt on Sherlock--and when he didn't find anything usable there (it's not like Sherlock's past drug use is a secret, or that his dog being put down is in any way useful for CAM except as a way to show how very much he knows), to look at John and at everyone connected to John. THAT would be when he found something useful on Mary, starting from the easily discoverable fact that Mary Morstan died at age 5 and by that knowing there was more to find. That's not coincindence, that's how CAM operates. Mary meeting John was happenstance--anyone meeting anyone ever is happenstance!--but if it hadn't been Mary, CAM would have kept looking for something or someone else. 

Last edited by REReader (August 20, 2014 4:25 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

August 20, 2014 4:31 pm  #580

And where do you see Janine in all of this? Planted by CAM in Mary's life? Her being Mary's friend and CAM's PA at the same time is a bit fishy if you ask me. 

Board footera