BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2014 9:13 am  #521

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

I agree. To make us swallow the whole "addicted to a certain lifestyle" and having chosen her because of the danger she provided would be terrible. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 5, 2014 9:16 am  #522

I agree, mrshouse. They will have to do something with that story. So far we haven't heard anything about Mary's past from Mary herself, Sherlock and CAM were the ones who provided us with some clues. Apart from that, we know next to nothing. 
They might decide to somehow let her save the day in terms of that whole Moriarty thing. That would be a scenario that also would make us have to love her, right? 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 5, 2014 9:17 am  #523

Only if she would somehow leave the boys alone afterwards. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 5, 2014 9:23 am  #524

She saves the day and dies. Redemption on the greatest scale. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 5, 2014 9:28 am  #525

Mofftiss would have a big task to make me truly like her. In simple terms: just not interested. The John Mary relationship is just a bit dull and actually bored everything out of me. There are lots of relationships that are much more interesting, even Donovan and Anderson!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 5, 2014 9:40 am  #526

I do not have to like her. For me it would be enough to make her do something good and selfless for once and then writer her off the show. 
And, yes, the lack of chemistry between John and Mary is astonishing. Martin and Amanda are good actors and know each other so well. Therefore I suppose it must be deliberate (saving all the chemistry for Sherlock and John). 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 5, 2014 9:40 am)

June 5, 2014 9:47 am  #527

This "dull" thing is pretty interesting. Especially in the first two episodes I found Mary as a person and her relationship with John to be pretty much that: dull. There were some nice scenes - I especially like the one where John is shaving his moustache off - but mostly it just didn't feel very interesting. But then again to be fair: Their relationship could never be as exciting as the relationship John and Sherlock are having.  

And yes to Susi's "I do not have to like her. For me it would be enough..."-statement. 

June 5, 2014 10:00 am  #528

Yes to the mentioned above, we don't have to like her. But this is the trouble I have: Martin and Amanda are both great actors and I love them together in real life. But it's not a guarantee that you bounce each other off on screen. And that is IMHO the big casting mistake Mofftiss made.
And now for a new status

Last edited by mrshouse (June 5, 2014 10:00 am)

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 5, 2014 10:03 am  #529

Well, I am not sure if it is a mistake. The script simply does not provide the romance. Therefore I must assume that it was the writers' deliberate choice to show their relationship that way. Just think of the fact that Mary does never say she loves John.  

June 5, 2014 10:03 am  #530

But relationship between John and Mary was considered "normal and ordinary", so it probably wasn´t supposed to be interesting in a way that would glue us to the TV screens.

And honestly, what normal and docile wife (as Mary was posing herself) would be able to compete with Sherlock brilliantly excentric personality?

In the presence of a brilliant person,
how could others even be seen then?
It´s as if the sun has risen to the sky -
stars became invisible, through there are gallaxies of them.

It´s only now, when Mary was revealed to be a killer with a dark past, that she became interesting. Story wise, her character could produce some dramatic conflict when her past would rise to bite her in the ass.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 5, 2014 10:09 am  #531

But, Nakahara, if the story arc revolves around a romance I want to be glued to the screen! And, no Susi, I think Martin "I can do that with a look, cut lines" could have done his facial expressions a lot warmer and more affectionate in a couple of scenes. He's not at ease.

June 5, 2014 10:14 am  #532

mrshouse wrote:

But, Nakahara, if the story arc revolves around a romance I want to be glued to the screen! And, no Susi, I think Martin "I can do that with a look, cut lines" could have done his facial expressions a lot warmer and more affectionate in a couple of scenes. He's not at ease.

I think it was done deliberately like that - Moftiss lulled us into the belief that what we see is just normal romance between two unasuming people - and then, when they hit us over our heads with revelation in HLV, that "innocent romance" was suddenly cast into a sinister light.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 5, 2014 12:47 pm  #533

SusiGo wrote:

Just think of the fact that Mary does never say she loves John.  

That doesn't mean anything. "I love you" are just three words, often overused. Actions speak much louder and are much less ambiguous.

I think Mary really believes that she loves John and I think that John loves what Mary represents. Are they IN love? Who knows? But to me, they feel right for each other.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 5, 2014 12:55 pm  #534

If you love someone you will do everything to make that person happy even and keep them safe, maybe even if your own happiness may suffer. Someone comes to my mind when I think of this description but it is not Mary. 

June 5, 2014 1:10 pm  #535

SusiGo wrote:

If you love someone you will do everything to make that person happy even and keep them safe, maybe even if your own happiness may suffer. Someone comes to my mind when I think of this description but it is not Mary. 

But is that love or residual guilt?

Mary

June 5, 2014 1:21 pm  #536

Do you mean still guilt for the fall, Mary? Gosh, Sherlock paid three episodes for this, now, what are Mary's debts?

June 5, 2014 1:42 pm  #537

Yes, guilt for the fall. That's the point of the whole series, Sherlock coming to realise how much he means to people and therefore how much he can hurt them, and then trying to make up for that hurt.

Mary

June 5, 2014 1:45 pm  #538

Ok, so where does Mary realize she means something to John, not only vv, and pays for taking at risk his best friends life yet again? Will that be the content of S 4 then? Will John finally pay Sherlock back for being his friend?

Last edited by mrshouse (June 5, 2014 1:46 pm)

June 5, 2014 2:17 pm  #539

mrshouse wrote:

And the story arch does not revolve around the romance between John and Mary.  TSoT was so obviously not about John and Mary, like everything else it was about the relationship between John and Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 5, 2014 2:26 pm  #540

I think it is love. Sherlock knows John has been hurt badly by himself and somehow tries to make up for the hurt Mary has caused. But the reason he does this is that he loves John (I think everyone can agree he does, Johnlocker or not). 

Board footera