BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2014 10:34 pm  #181

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

To understand Mary it is vital to accept that pre HLV revelations to John , she is nothing but Magnussons puppet.
Important to know....how long..and whos puppet was she before that..
A  puppets actions only have meaning when we know who pulls the strings and why.

February 26, 2014 10:44 pm  #182

Swanpride wrote:

On, and about the claim that Mary never apologizing or expressing regret: Not true either. She did, immediately after the bullet hit Sherlock.

"I'm sorry Sherlock. I truly am."

Uhm, yeah, sorry, but... I hear the words, but... no, not really.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 26, 2014 10:44 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 26, 2014 10:56 pm  #183

Swanpride wrote:

On, and about the claim that Mary never apologizing or expressing regret: Not true either. She did, immediately after the bullet hit Sherlock.

Yup, she really sounded regretful there, especially in her eyes. I could see her cold facade waning after she shot him.

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (February 26, 2014 10:56 pm)

February 26, 2014 11:55 pm  #184

Swanpride wrote:

I don't really believe that she's properly sorry, if she was, she wouldn't have shot Sherlock in the first place. If I walk up to someone and slap the holy heck out of them, and then say, I'm sorry, I truly am, would you expect them to just up and forgive me , because I'm "showing regret?" It just makes no sense. 

Sometimes, expressing regret isn't enough. 

February 27, 2014 12:41 am  #185

SolarSystem wrote:

Well, at least she suspects that John is in danger, because when Mrs. Hudson opens the door to her Mary says something along the line of "I think someone's got John!".

I agree, the exact line, as she pushes past Mrs Hudson (thus establishing that there was at least one, it not two, people there Mary could have texted, emailed or rung if she had wanted to enquire about Jon.

'MARY: Sorry – I-I think someone’s got John – John Watson."

I think it is pretty clear that this is not the sort of approach one would expect from a highly trained super assassin, perfectly capable of analysing skip code, and with high level Google skills. .

February 27, 2014 1:45 am  #186

This is a fascinating Meta on exactly what happened to Sherlock s a result of his being shot. It's written by a medical proffesional : here's the link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1235479/chapters/2535226

February 27, 2014 8:08 am  #187

Willow wrote:

But the obvious way to find out what St James the Less is to Google it; the first answer that comes up on Google is that it is a church in Pimlico, with a handy little map showing how to get there.  Any ordinarily intelligent person can put a query into Google, just as any ordinarily intelligent person would know that if you want to know whether John is, or has been, at Baker St you text/email/ring Sherlock and/or Mrs Hudson.

What you don't do is take a car into central London and go to Baker St to ask Sherlock; it isn't sensible for an ordinarily intelligent person, which means that it's obviously idiotic for a highly trained agent.

And really, what sort of highly trained agent can't use Google? What sort of highly trained agent decides, in an emergency, to drive into central London? You don't need to be from England to use Google, just as you don't need to be from England to know that driving into central London is immensely time consuming. All you have to do is spend some time here, and Mary had apparently been here for five years...

So am I understanding correctly that we are just ignoring the fact that this is a show with writers who are going to go for what makes the best scene for their purposes ?

It's called Sherlock. Of COURSE she's going to go get sherlock and they're going to steal a motorbike and ride off at break neck speed together in to the unknown.

How boring would she and him texting about it and googling be? It's an action scene.

I think when we refuse to acknowledge this is television and not real actions we just jump down into the rabbit hole of over analyzation that leads to all kinds of false assumptions.

I mean its fun, but I think you guys are also trying to really analyze and figure her out before season 4 and disregarding her motivations are anything but something that moved the plot along the way Moftiss wanted is not going to achieve that goal.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

February 27, 2014 8:20 am  #188

I agree with you that it makes no sense to tell what characters should have done because we have to deal with what we get. This is how I originally started this thread - by looking at what is there instead of speculating about what should have been there. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 27, 2014 8:22 am  #189

Wiggins wrote:

Willow wrote:

But the obvious way to find out what St James the Less is to Google it; the first answer that comes up on Google is that it is a church in Pimlico, with a handy little map showing how to get there. Any ordinarily intelligent person can put a query into Google, just as any ordinarily intelligent person would know that if you want to know whether John is, or has been, at Baker St you text/email/ring Sherlock and/or Mrs Hudson.

What you don't do is take a car into central London and go to Baker St to ask Sherlock; it isn't sensible for an ordinarily intelligent person, which means that it's obviously idiotic for a highly trained agent.

And really, what sort of highly trained agent can't use Google? What sort of highly trained agent decides, in an emergency, to drive into central London? You don't need to be from England to use Google, just as you don't need to be from England to know that driving into central London is immensely time consuming. All you have to do is spend some time here, and Mary had apparently been here for five years...

So am I understanding correctly that we are just ignoring the fact that this is a show with writers who are going to go for what makes the best scene for their purposes ?

It's called Sherlock. Of COURSE she's going to go get sherlock and they're going to steal a motorbike and ride off at break neck speed together in to the unknown.

How boring would she and him texting about it and googling be? It's an action scene.

I think when we refuse to acknowledge this is television and not real actions we just jump down into the rabbit hole of over analyzation that leads to all kinds of false assumptions.

I mean its fun, but I think you guys are also trying to really analyze and figure her out before season 4 and disregarding her motivations are anything but something that moved the plot along the way Moftiss wanted is not going to achieve that goal.

Yeah, but it's a show known for leaving all sorts of clues, visual puns, -- I mean, there's a whole lot more there than  first meets the eye. And I think the producers of the show expect us to parse everything.

What I keep hearing is, people are tired of the bickering, so they want us to just take the show at face value and question nothing.

The fact that we are doing all of this questioning and debating and speculating  etc, means that Moffat and Gattiss were sucessful in creating a show that generated this level of interest; and yes, that also includes the character Mary. 

Why bother to have a forum, if the only thing you're allowed to do is gush over the show? 

This is supposed to be part of the fun. :-)

February 27, 2014 8:29 am  #190

I do not think it is about gushing and blindly accepting everything. I wrote this small analysis precisely because I had difficulty in accepting the simple explanation for Mary's behaviour, i.e. she has left behind her past and does everything because she truly loves John and that he chooses her just because he is addicted to a dangerous lifestyle and needs a wife like her as a replacement for Sherlock. But it seems that every thread about her tends to get a bit out of hand. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 27, 2014 8:32 am  #191

Swanpride wrote:

@RavenMorganLeigh You can believe what you want...the point is, though, that here were posts claiming that Mary never acted loving or even said sorry, that there is nothing in the text which portrays her positive. My post was designed to show that this is not true.

She says "I'm sorry", but does she really mean it?
She's actually sorry enough to afterwards walk into the hospital and talk to Sherlock in a pretty creepy manner, telling him to not tell John. And she's actually sorry enough to meet Sherlock at Leinster Gardens, bringing a gun and once again threatening him. That's actually how sorry she really is, if you ask me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 27, 2014 8:38 am  #192

I agree with you, Solar. 

And there is one thing that struck me just know. Look at the moment immediately before she shoots him. Sherlock has addressed her as Mary before but now he chooses to use her married name. With this small sentence he tries to make her remember who she is now, what she is risking, what she is doing to John - and yet she shoots him:

Mary: Oh, Sherlock, if you take one more step I swear I will kill you.
Sherlock: (shaking his head with a small smile on his face): No, Mrs Watson. You won't.

Last edited by SusiGo (February 27, 2014 8:39 am)

February 27, 2014 8:52 am  #193

That's true, but just for a second there, immediately after Sherlock calls her "Mrs. Watson", I have the impression that she's losing it for a tiny second. I'd have to watch it again to be absolutely sure, but if you look into her eyes... it does have an effect on her. But then it seems as if the professional in her kicks in again - and she shoots him.

February 27, 2014 9:00 am  #194

You could be right about that. But I like Sherlock's subtle attempt to influence her which may nearly succeed before her professional instinct takes over again. 

February 27, 2014 9:16 am  #195

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

This is a fascinating Meta on exactly what happened to Sherlock s a result of his being shot. It's written by a medical proffesional : here's the link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1235479/chapters/2535226

Thanks for this..amazingly interesting meta on Sherlocks shooting.
I had pretty much decided that Mary didn't care either way and Sherlocks death was irrelevant to Mary at that moment. This certainly makes me lean a little more to the - shoot to kill thoughts.

When I saw Mycrofts "..what was directly behind you when you were murdered..." Sherlocks reply , " I haven't been murdered yet.."
And Mycrofts " balance of probabilities little brother..."

WoW.
Yet just after recovery Sherlock uses the she saved me line..all based on inaccurate and factually impossible shooting.
Sherlock must be stalling for time because of the baby.

As for Sherlock just being a show...well if not to talk about it and question it, why are we here?
The writers say they assume they have intelligent viewers..and deliberately leave things for us to deduce and discover for ourselves. I have no interest in dumbed down shows that explain eveything.
This is exactly what we are supposed to do isn't it?

And on Mary bashing..well the fact is the writers have given us a character that does a lot of bad things which is obviously going to lead to people thinking bad thoughts about her and saying bad things.
When the writers decided to bring in a Mary, they knew a lot of people would dislike it , when they had her murder Sherlock and have manipulated John with lies they knew people would bash her for it. Deservedly so don't you think?

Last edited by lil (February 27, 2014 9:20 am)

February 27, 2014 9:20 am  #196

I have been reading that meta, too, and it is very interesting. Did you see the last chapter so far with the screenshots of the object on the floor that looks to be a phone and which Magnussen tries to pick up? I never noted that before but it is definitely there. 

February 27, 2014 9:24 am  #197

SusiGo wrote:

I have been reading that meta, too, and it is very interesting. Did you see the last chapter so far with the screenshots of the object on the floor that looks to be a phone and which Magnussen tries to pick up? I never noted that before but it is definitely there. 

Yes I did. I had not noticed before,  I would say Magnusson for sure dialed 999
If Lestrade listened to the 999 calls made, standard procedure, he would have recognised Marys voice.
So ..Mary didn't call an ambulance...or it's just a show answer.

Last edited by lil (February 27, 2014 10:31 am)

February 27, 2014 9:26 am  #198

SusiGo wrote:

I do not think it is about gushing and blindly accepting everything. I wrote this small analysis precisely because I had difficulty in accepting the simple explanation for Mary's behaviour, i.e. she has left behind her past and does everything because she truly loves John and that he chooses her just because he is addicted to a dangerous lifestyle and needs a wife like her as a replacement for Sherlock. But it seems that every thread about her tends to get a bit out of hand. 

Doesn't it? ;-) 

It's still a fascinating thread. :-D

February 27, 2014 9:30 am  #199

This would raise the question if Sherlock really assumes that Mary called the ambulance or if he says this for John's sake or a plan of his own we do not know about. Because he would have been unsconscious when Magnussen dialed the number, wouldn't he?

February 27, 2014 9:33 am  #200

SusiGo wrote:

This would raise the question if Sherlock really assumes that Mary called the ambulance or if he says this for John's sake or a plan of his own we do not know about. Because he would have been unsconscious when Magnussen dialed the number, wouldn't he?

Ah true..meta infers Magnusson dialed 999 when Mary had her back to him?
So Sherlock likely saw that.
If so the whole thing was maybe recorded on Magnussons phone?

Last edited by lil (February 27, 2014 10:33 am)

Board footera