BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2014 12:07 am  #1

Creative insect disposal ideas needed

Other than squish with boot & chuck in bin, are there other ways to dispose of creepy crawleys (preferrably methods that keep them alive).

My current method involves: shove paper in front of insect; wait for him to get onto paper; run for my life to the door and chuck it out in the yard (but this method is very time consuming).

More ideas welcome. Maybe I should just get a cat or a dog; maybe they can eat the insects

February 23, 2014 1:59 am  #2

Re: Creative insect disposal ideas needed

Huh…. you use only the paper?  I always have trouble getting them to go on, or get antsy about the idea of them falling off/onto me (lol, yes, hence your 'run for life' comment  .  I always grab one of my cheap plastic containers, trap them under it if possible.  Then take the paper (stiffer type works better) and slowly slide it under the container, 'scooting' if needed to get them completely on it and stay trapped under there, carefully pick it up, release outside.  Granted, it takes a little bit of time, too, just easier…. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 23, 2014 8:02 am  #3

Glass over it, postcard slid under is also my preferred method. Of course that only works if you can reach the insect with a glass. Tried it on a spider last night, but it was half hidden behind a stair, so that in the end it scurried away.

February 23, 2014 9:24 am  #4

Hoover them up with a vacuum cleaner. We feed insects to our pet lizards and after I have accidently spilt a box of locust they have been popping up from time to time in the Dyson for months afterwards. Completely unharmed may I add.

February 23, 2014 9:29 am  #5

I'm always leery of the vacuum cleaner method, because how can you be sure that the insect actually dies in the process? If I want to get rid of a spider, I want it out of my flat. What good is it if I hoover it up and then it comes crawling out of my hoover bag again? *shudders*

February 23, 2014 10:46 am  #6

Not creative but simple.
I would take them in my hand and bring them outdoors.  (Bit cruel of me if it happens to be freezing outside, but well...)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 23, 2014 10:49 am  #7

I have a plastic contraption in which I can trap the insect alive and put it outside. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 23, 2014 1:14 pm  #8

TeeJay wrote:

I'm always leery of the vacuum cleaner method, because how can you be sure that the insect actually dies in the process? If I want to get rid of a spider, I want it out of my flat. What good is it if I hoover it up and then it comes crawling out of my hoover bag again? *shudders*

Empty the hoover bag. ;) Bit time consuming for a single spider though.

February 23, 2014 11:26 pm  #9

Now I am going to be a compete pedant and state that spiders are not insects. They are arachnids.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 24, 2014 12:15 am  #10

I once vacuumed up my pet gerbil.  He was fat and sassy (and very dirty) inside the vacuum bag when we tore it open.  So I posit that hoovering insects is unlikely to kill them. 

Fillyjonk

Check my Tumblr for a musical tribute to Sherlock's devotion during series 3.
http://imtooticky.tumblr.com

February 24, 2014 3:36 am  #11

WOW...you guys!
There are a ga-zillion insects in & on this planet...except for the odd praying mantis' or lady bugs who can help ones garden, why keep them alive?
I am sorry & really don't mean to offend, but insects are facinating to watch on television nature programs & are facinating to see in pictures & to read about, but, if I find one in my house, I cannot spray it fast enough (I keep a can of "insect-be-gone" (haha not its real name) under my kitchen sink)!
Centipedes are THEE WORST because of how big they are & how fast they can move & allll of those horrible little legs...YIKES...I'm creeping myself out here & getting itchy, ha ha, gotta go!

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

February 24, 2014 4:31 am  #12

Ha…  well, I don't know anyone else's reasons, but (aside from some of the "pretty" ones), I'm really not crazy about bugs, so even more squicked with smashing them and having to clean it up.  Plus just trying to not be cruel, I guess? (other than the unceremonious dumping outside, no matter where/the weather)       Of course, I've only ever had to deal with minor critters and spiders… not like what you're talking about. 

Last edited by Russell (February 24, 2014 7:17 am)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 24, 2014 9:04 am  #13

Wasps! Eek! I have a real phobia. If one is in the same room I feel sick and have to run, run, run like the wind! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 24, 2014 4:54 pm  #14

I'm getting better. But these reactions are survival instincts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 24, 2014 11:48 pm  #15

Mine is nt an irrational fear (honestly). I have been stung so many times, often in unprovoked attacks that it s more of a conditioned response...to pain!

February 25, 2014 9:19 am  #16

That's exactly what I meant.
It is completely rational to be afraid of wasps: they are aggressive and painful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 1, 2014 12:43 am  #17

Wow, well from your responses, it sounds like we're all in agreement...those nasty little buggers gotta go!
...and that's In Any Way Possible...just live your lives little buggers...just NOT in our flats or houses, and if you happen to encounter us...well...prepare to be...crushed!
Sorry...all you fans of the creepy-crawlies...you need not fear of any of them becoming extinct...remember they number in the more-than-ga-zillions!

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

March 1, 2014 8:34 am  #18

I hate bugs.
But I'm usually far too terified of them to get anywhere near killing them.
Flying ones I will try and encourage out.
Spiders I have to call for assistance.
I couldn't LIVE anywhere where there are roaches.

March 1, 2014 1:30 pm  #19

besleybean wrote:

I couldn't LIVE anywhere where there are roaches.

depends on size I have always had a very intense phobia of roaches but recently, I found that the smaller ones I can (sort of) stand to be in the same room with.

March 1, 2014 1:35 pm  #20

Aargh!

Board footera