BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2014 2:17 pm  #1

Lost all the posting options

I appear to have lost all the posting options for my comments, like choosing smilies, adding images etc. The 'options bar' has disappeared from above my posting box.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Any help would be most appreciated, thanks!

February 21, 2014 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Lost all the posting options

I think this happened before and was a temporary problem. Try searching 

In the meantime, you could check if unchecking
Show advanced message editor when posting
in your profile/viewing options helps for an interim.

Last edited by Harriet (February 21, 2014 2:24 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 21, 2014 7:00 pm  #3

Harriet wrote:

I think this happened before and was a temporary problem. Try searching 

In the meantime, you could check if unchecking
Show advanced message editor when posting
in your profile/viewing options helps for an interim.

Thanks for the advice.
It's still missing but hopefully it will only be temporary.

February 21, 2014 9:26 pm  #4

Is it missing only on quick reply or also when you click 'post reply'?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

February 21, 2014 9:30 pm  #5

It's missing from both versions of reply. I can post photos using codes supplied from other websites (like Flickr) but there is no longer the option to post a pic via this forums 'add pic'. Basically, that whole bar that gives smilie/image options etc is gone and I just have a plain message space.

February 22, 2014 10:55 pm  #6

That bar uses Javascript. It might do to check that your browser hasn't disabled javascript, or possibly needs updating?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 22, 2014 11:25 pm  #7

Wholocked wrote:

That bar uses Javascript. It might do to check that your browser hasn't disabled javascript, or possibly needs updating?

I assumed my javascript was up to date but I'll check it, and my browser, and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

February 23, 2014 10:26 am  #8

Wholocked wrote:

I've just checked my Java and it's all up to date. But it's obviously something wrong with my computer since no one else seems to have the problem. Sigh. I'll keep checking as it's a pain not to be able to use the bar and all it's goodies.

But thanks for the help so far.

February 23, 2014 11:24 am  #9

Hey again!

Just to say that I've got the bar back!!

Where there is the http code at the top of my computer page, I noticed an image in it, looking like a teeny page but it was broken. I clicked on it and it was something to do with compatability view! And after I clicked it the bar was back! Worth knowing for future hiccups!

So thanks again for the help, and sorry for being a problem...but yeah...all sorted now!

May 18, 2014 4:26 am  #10

Hello, I'm currently facing the same problem. Not sure what to do about it, my javascript is enabled for this website by pressing on the icon next to the URL, advanced messaging editor is also enabled on my profile, and just updated my Javascript. Thought it'd go off after a while, but it's been three weeks or so now. Helped improve my productivity a bit XD, but I'd like to be able to post pictures and use emoticons again. Any tips, guys?

Last edited by Le Bear Polar (May 18, 2014 4:26 am)

May 18, 2014 6:24 pm  #11

Have you tried different browsers?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 19, 2014 7:10 am  #12

Did you try SpiralStaircase's solution? Hers was displaying the site in Compatability View - which is an internet explorer feature afaik.

What browser(s) are you using and are they up to date?

As SH said, try a different browser? (I use Chrome and don't have problems)

May 19, 2014 9:15 pm  #13

Whenever I try logging on in Firefox I can never post any smilies. I use Safari on my Mac and Chrome on my PC. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 20, 2014 1:21 pm  #14

Guys I found the solution, finally! Thank you so much for your help and suggestions. I contacted Boardhost and they sent a reply suggesting that I cleared the cache from my web browser and lo behold it worked! A helpful tip for anyone facing this problem in the future. 

Board footera