BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2014 3:07 am  #1

Sherlock's Pressure Points

Is anyone able to list Sherlock's "pressure points" as seen by CAM?
I was only able to record the episode on VCR without "high-defination" and the words appear somewhat blurred.
If so, I'd be soooo grateful!
(I like tid-bit-ty details like that, it adds to the depth & flavor of things...!).

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

February 21, 2014 4:31 am  #2

Re: Sherlock's Pressure Points

Mycroft --> Sherlock --> John --> Mary
shortcut = Mycroft --> Mary
That's why CAM went straight to Mary, skipping the middle two (though he did have a go at John earlier in Hearse).

February 21, 2014 4:32 am  #3

There are screen caps of those around: as I remember it they included John Watson, opium, redbeard, Moriary and Irene Adler, with 'see file' after the last 3.

There's at least one other.

February 21, 2014 4:45 am  #4

The screencaps are in this thread: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4222

February 21, 2014 6:45 am  #5

I mentioned them in a review I posted on my LiveJournal a while ago, so let me paste that bit:

And let us admire all of Sherlock’s pressure points for a moment. Irene Adler. Jim Moriarty. Redbeard. Hounds of the Baskerville. Opium. John Watson. “There’s rather a lot,” Magnussen says. No, there’s not. It just repeats ten times in scrolling. I’m not sure why exactly.

February 21, 2014 8:10 am  #6

I think the reason why it scrolls up and down, and that Magnussen says that there is 'rather a lot' is because he can't find out which one is the most important one...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 21, 2014 8:31 am  #7

Thank you all for such prompt & intriguing replies that now births a question: why is "Hounds..." a pressure point since he solved that case?

Cracks me up always!

February 21, 2014 8:34 am  #8

I did wonder about that too. I think the pressure point there is that Sherlock showed fear when he was exposed to the fog. He lost the control he so needs to be who he is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 21, 2014 8:46 am  #9

Yes, the drug made him confront his own fears. And Moriarty was among them. In the mind palace scene we see that he still occupies his mind. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 21, 2014 8:53 am  #10

"Hounds..."  = fog + Moriarty...I think you're on to something... 

Cracks me up always!

February 21, 2014 9:52 am  #11

Baskerville symbolises his fear to lose his mind or his intellect. He said it himself that he was not exactly afraid of a dog but that he felt doubt. Not being able or questioning whether you are able to trust your own senses can be horrific experience.
What can CAM know about that?
It's written down for everyone to read on John's blog.

"The next morning, I met up with Sherlock and we discussed the previous evening. He admitted that as well as fear, the worst thing he'd felt was doubt. He'd never doubted himself before and he simply couldn't understand how he'd seen what he'd seen."

According to canon Holmes censered Watson. Watson wrote that he was not allowed to write about a story for some time. I expected that Sherlock would finally put his foot down and tell John what to write and what better not to mention. It's not exactly a good idea to tell the world about the weaknesses of a friend who has to live with criminals and gets death threats all the time (according to TSotT on the bench).

February 21, 2014 10:41 am  #12

Be wrote:

Baskerville symbolises his fear to lose his mind or his intellect. He said it himself that he was not exactly afraid of a dog but that he felt doubt. Not being able or questioning whether you are able to trust your own senses can be horrific experience.

"The next morning, I met up with Sherlock and we discussed the previous evening. He admitted that as well as fear, the worst thing he'd felt was doubt. He'd never doubted himself before and he simply couldn't understand how he'd seen what he'd seen."

"Be"...are you in psychological studies?
I find that your comments show a depth of insight rarely seen...thank you!
All things considered, what you stated makes perfect sense.
It helps to quiet that gaping maw of constant query within, that seems, at times, insatiable...!
(still longing for "spell-check" on this site!).

According to canon Holmes censered Watson. Watson wrote that he was not allowed to write about a story for some time. I expected that Sherlock would finally put his foot down and tell John what to write and what better not to mention. It's not exactly a good idea to tell the world about the weaknesses of a friend who has to live with criminals and gets death threats all the time (according to TSotT on the bench).

Cracks me up always!

February 21, 2014 10:43 am  #13

Be wrote:

"Be"...are you in psychological studies?
I find that your comments show a depth of insight rarely seen...thank you!
All things considered, what you stated makes perfect sense.
It helps to quiet that gaping maw of constant query within, that seems, at times, insatiable...!
(still longing for "spell-check" on this site!).

Cracks me up always!

February 21, 2014 10:50 am  #14

Yikes!
How bizzare!
This last post seems to have combined "Be's" comments with mine in one spot, as if one person were speaking, when in fact there are two!
Sheech!

Cracks me up always!

February 21, 2014 10:56 am  #15

Harobed, thank you. And no, I'm not into psychology. I just look at it.

February 21, 2014 11:24 am  #16

Harobed wrote:

Yikes!
How bizzare!
This last post seems to have combined "Be's" comments with mine in one spot, as if one person were speaking, when in fact there are two!
Sheech!

Sometimes this website does funny things.

February 23, 2014 2:58 am  #17

CAM admits that Sherlock wouldn't care enough about keeping his drug habits a secret to cooperate with CAM in exchange for it not being exposed.

On the surface, it wouldn't seem like Sherlock could be blackmailed, in the sense that CAM did to Lady Smallwood, over anything. He doesn't seem to really care about having a public image for morality, or anything.  And Scotland Yard seems to know about his...darker side and continue working with him anyway. I think if CAM were going to hurt Sherlock's reputation, it would have to be by making him look guilty of something criminal or terroristic, such that he couldn't be seen as an ally of Scotland Yard. Much as Moriarty did. BUT Sherlock is known to bend if not break the law, including his gaining entrance into CAM's own office...

The bonfire thing suggests that CAM thought that for Sherlock, he had to use "pressure" of another kind - threatening to hurt the one person Sherlock cares about, in a more physical sense.

But I do wonder about Irene as a pressure point..CAM could have just meant she is another person Sherlock cares about, whom he could threatend to ham...but if Sherlock and she ever "had dinner," I'd be surprised if CAM didn't find out. And he could twist that one into "Sherlock consorted with a terrorist," or perhaps, "Sherlock will protect any woman, no matter what she's done, if she'll 'have dinner' with him."

What I wonder is, would this consideration - of how it would look - have deterred Sherlock at the time from "having dinner" with Irene, if, as some have suggested, she offered it after he saved her?

February 23, 2014 4:58 am  #18

I think Irene and The Hounds of Baskerville both represent Sherlocks weaknesses that might come in handy for CAM should Sherlock ever become a real threat. Somehow he knows that Irene has nearly beaten him and had a certain power over him - I just had the thought that maybe she even sold this information to him somehow? And from John's blogpost about the Hounds he knows that Sherlock is thrown off balance by fearing he can not trust his senses. Both no real assets for blackmail, but good to know should he ever feel the need to weaken him as an opponent. Just the same as him mentioning Redbeard, we could see how Sherlock is slightly confused and off-balance by this move. Also I think CAM just likes to know the weak spots he can really pester people with..

March 1, 2014 2:27 am  #19

Brilliant psychoanalysis, all!
Wow...I'm a mere pedestrian & a bit of a "newbie" here, so I'll lay-low on commenting any further until I've had a chance to re-study the episodes!
(again...WHY don't they have "spell-check" here????)
[ha,ha!]

Cracks me up always!

May 26, 2014 9:00 pm  #20

I think there's too much speculation about the pressure points. At the end of the day, "Sherlock" is entertainment and the writers didn't give much *too* much emphasis on the text of the pressure points for the character of Sherlock. (An oversight on their part but kind of understandable.)
IMO, when we saw John's pressure points, we thought, 'Okay, that makes sense' and wondered what Sherlock's would be. When we saw that Sherlock's list seemed to go on forever, we initially laughed (glimpsing words like "Irene Adler" and "Baskerville") and figured 'how appropriate'. I personally believe that that was the intention of the programme makers .. unfortunately for them, this is the Age of the Internet and the freeze-frame.
Still, cut them some slack and just enjoy the show for what it is, supreme entertainment.

Last edited by sawakatoome (May 26, 2014 9:05 pm)

Board footera