BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2014 10:59 pm  #1

The Thomas Crown Affair - 1999 version and 1968 version

Here are two very entertaining movies, starring two very sexy men who make mad, passionate love to two very sex ladies, both of whom are crack investigators hot on the trail of the masterminds of very clever crimes.

My God, that sentence is so sexy it smacks of literary foreplay.

Steve McQueen is so cool I could chill a beer by sitting it next to him for ten minutes while discussing his wonderful movie rolls.

Pierce Brosnan is so cool I could chill a vodka martini the same way.

Faye Dunaway and Rene Russo could smoke a ham just by flirting with it.

In the 1968 version Steve and Faye had foreplay while playing chess.  After she beat him, he snatched her out of the chair, wrapped his arms around her, and said, "Let's play something else."

They did. This time I think they both won.

In the 1999 version, Pierce and Rene decided not to make love in the living room downstairs or the bedroom upstairs. They chose instead to show us what the phrase "Stairway to Heaven" really meant.

So, you tell me, folks.  Which version of these two wonderful movies gets our collective juices flowing the most?  The swinging 1960s version or the updated 1990s version?  Frankly, I can't decide.  I was a randy young 20 year old when I saw the first one – and a distinguished 51 year old when I saw the second one.

Steve was 38 when he made his version.  Pierce was 46 when he made his version.

I have no idea what all this mean in terms of my own age and my reactions to these two great movies.  Maybe it just means I started out life as a dirty old man and I haven't changed a bit in all these years.

What do you folks think?

Last edited by Bruce Cook (February 19, 2014 3:03 am)

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

February 19, 2014 12:06 am  #2

Re: The Thomas Crown Affair - 1999 version and 1968 version

Hey! I'm going to flip this into the films section. Hope that's ok.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 19, 2014 2:56 am  #3

Oops, sorry.  Though it was in the right section. 

Last edited by Bruce Cook (February 19, 2014 3:07 am)

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

February 19, 2014 7:09 am  #4

It's what I do... No problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera