BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2014 9:18 pm  #1

Undercover Recover

Must get this off my chest!
If Sherlock was exceedingly happy that a post was written about his possible drug addiction, WHY did he keep insisting that it was all "undercover"?
If it was to be kept underwraps, how then did he expect the story to surface?!
If there actually is an obvious answer, well then, please forgive this "newbie"!

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

February 18, 2014 9:26 pm  #2

Re: Undercover Recover

Well, I think he went into the drugs scene undercover because people would have been quite suspicious if a famous detective had suddenly popped up among them. He wanted CAM to find out about his "addiction" but only after he had infiltrated the drug den. Had they known he was Sherlock Holmes, I suppose they would have not have sold any substances to him or let him into the house. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 18, 2014 10:15 pm  #3

I took 'undercover' to mean that he was on a case - the Lady Smallwood one - that involved attracting the attention of CAM on a false pressure point. I agree 'undercover' is misleading. I'm not sure if he's famous enough that drug den denizens would recognize him enough that he had to hide his true identity - afterall, he was using his real (uncommon) name, or at least a version of it (Shezza).

February 19, 2014 12:58 am  #4

Wow, YES...but of course!...methinks, after reading SisiGo's insightful reply (fighting back the blushing cheeks of shame at missing that obvious ploy).
THEN comes a "rescue" from CaseyB's further explainations into the whole puzzling event.  I get that perspective & it stands to reason as well.  

Cracks me up always!

February 19, 2014 6:15 am  #5

Quite like your explanations… fills in a few details of how I saw the scene!  And you're reminding me particularly of the retorts Sherlock and John give as they're exiting the building (and hilariously fun moment to watch).  'Undercover' "Shezza" could have ducked his head back down when he saw John in there, but probably figured 'oh, hey, there's John!  I've been secretly in here long enough, may as well leave with my buddy now and get noticed for the headlines I need to attract CAM's attention'  (if that was, indeed, his intention).  He irritably tries to explain it off as they storm out, saying 'I'm undercover!'  John says 'No you're not!' to which he retorts dramatically 'Well I'm not NOW!' since he wasn't even trying to be so at that point. 
(But yeah… even scruffed up, and in the midst of druggies, they really wouldn't think 'that looks like Sherlock'?)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 19, 2014 6:26 am  #6

I also believe that Sherlock went 'undercover' in the drugsden for Lady Smallwoods case; he needed to control what pressure point Magnussen had on him and he must have felt that 'junkie' was a safe one. So when John came to find Isac Sherlock saw it as a golden opportunity to not only be a drama queen but also get his 'drug habit' out into the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 20, 2014 11:23 pm  #7

SusiGo wrote:

Well, I think he went into the drugs scene undercover because people would have been quite suspicious if a famous detective had suddenly popped up among them. He wanted CAM to find out about his "addiction" but only after he had infiltrated the drug den. Had they known he was Sherlock Holmes, I suppose they would have not have sold any substances to him or let him into the house. 

A further thought...not everyone has heard of the famous sleuth (WHY don't they have "spell-check" here?!)...(sorry)...as when Kate came to John & Mary asking for help & John said he would get Sherlock Holmes to assist & she retorted; "who?" ... ha ha... so, that's why I couldn't put it together about his being undercover, yet elated when there was that blurb about him in the paper...

Last edited by Harobed (February 22, 2014 6:08 am)

Cracks me up always!

Board footera