BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2012 11:44 am  #21

Re: Why was Sherlock in Minsk?

The Doctor wrote:

About Sherlock starting paying attention to the grammar because he was bored: I read it differently in so far that Sherlock quickly deduced that the man actually did commit the murder. Thus he had no interest in getting the man of the charges and concentrated on correcting his grammar instead.

Yes, my comment about Sherlock seeing how long this guy could keep his cool related to that.
This guy lost his temper quickly with Sherlock over simple grammar corrections. As the guy himself said, he lost his cool with his girlfriend over something more 'delicate'. It doesn't take Einstein to work out he'd lose his cool enough to strangle her, accidentally of course.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 10, 2012 12:42 am  #22

I always had ambivalent feelings (laughter at Sherlock's exaggeration but also recoil) about this scene as I have experienced it in real life. People revealing another, kind of primeval face of themselves, hatred and disregard of any other person's emotion. For example, even as you treat an injury (at its worst a child) another person might start revealing that it wasn't 'quite an accident' but that the patient 'pushed me to do it'. Barf.

Isn't there a saying that most criminals actually do give themselves away?

Last edited by The Doctor (August 10, 2012 12:43 am)

August 10, 2012 12:47 am  #23

I think he said he stabbed her "over and over and over".   Accidentally of course 

I think Sherlock had determined within the first moments that the guy was a common, woman-hating, moronic low-life and the case held no interest for him.  He toyed with the jerk, got him to snap easily, and 'boom' - outta there and home on the next plane to London.

I wondered about the murdered wife Karen.  She would have been British too, right?  So if she was British wouldn't Barry Berwick have been sent back to Britain for trial instead of facing Belarus justice.  Maybe I just don't know anything about international law.

But I do know one thing  - I love that scene and I don't ask for too much realism from it.  It was black comedy at its best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 10, 2012 1:18 am  #24

KeepersPrice wrote:

But I do know one thing  - I love that scene and I don't ask for too much realism from it.  It was black comedy at its best.

It's honestly my favourite comedic scene in the entire 2 series. I'll happily watch just that scene and then turn it off lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

August 10, 2012 7:16 am  #25

If the crime had been committed in the UK and he had escaped to Belarus then he may have been brought back to the UK for trial. However, as the crime took place in Belarus the the trial would also take place in Belarus and he would be subject to Belarussian law.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 10, 2012 7:32 am  #26

However, if he then travelled to Switzerland and killed people there also and then hopped on  boat and disposed of the bodies just over the dateline and then he travelled to America, would he be eligible for parole in a shorter amount of time?

So many questions, so little air time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

November 25, 2012 9:03 am  #27

Haven't scrolled back through the thread, but apart from us actually seeing the scene where the convict is trying to engage Sherlock's services...he and John later engage in a discussion about the case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 1, 2012 8:23 am  #28

Yeah sorry, that was possibly as clear as mud!
It's during Sherlock's ' bored' scene.
John asks him about the ' Russian' case and Sherlock actually explains it was Minsk.  Tho of course the audience already had this on the screen, in the opening scene.
What we never get told, is how the convict knew about Sherlock.
But presumably this is the beginning of Sherlock's international fame, thro the media etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera