BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2014 9:21 pm  #1

Just gotta say this... but Lestrade acted like John *should* have.

The scene where Sherlock reveals himself to Lestrade-- The huge hug---that actually ended up becoming the emotional payoff-- that I never got from John. 

And then, Lestrade drops EVERYTHING to run to Sherlock's rescue, at the cost of making a bust he's worked on for months. 

After the stag do-- he gets John and Sherlock out of the drunk tank; he yells at John, not Sherlock. 

My conclusion: Lestrade is becoming a better freind to Sherlock than John. 

Of course, I could just be on crack. What do y'all think? 

February 10, 2014 9:28 pm  #2

Re: Just gotta say this... but Lestrade acted like John *should* have.

Of course, Lestrade is a friend of Sherlock's. But on a different level than John, not a "better" one. I've always seen him as a father figure for Sherlock. ("I'm dealing with a child!"/ASiP)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 10, 2014 9:36 pm  #3

And he was never hurt by Sherlock the way John was - just the usual insults, ok, some unusual as well 
So he had less obstacles for acting the way he did in S3.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 10, 2014 9:41 pm  #4

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

The scene where Sherlock reveals himself to Lestrade-- The huge hug---that actually ended up becoming the emotional payoff-- that I never got from John. 

And then, Lestrade drops EVERYTHING to run to Sherlock's rescue, at the cost of making a bust he's worked on for months. 

After the stag do-- he gets John and Sherlock out of the drunk tank; he yells at John, not Sherlock. 

My conclusion: Lestrade is becoming a better freind to Sherlock than John. 

Of course, I could just be on crack. What do y'all think? 

You are not on crack.

Which brings us back to the mystery of the disappearing Dr John Watson, whom we all knew and loved, and his replacement with a doppelgänger who throws hissy fits whilst failing to notice that his best friend is bleeding to death in front of him.

I really like Lestrade as a character; in the short film he came across very well as the guy who made the time to listen to, and sympathise with, Anderson and John without being sentimental or maudlin. I would like to have seen more of him, and I agree that his responses to Sherlock were a lot more mature and a lot more warmhearted than John's were.

This is why I am worried about how Moftiss are going to walk John back to being Dr John Watson once more; I am sure that they will have something, but writers don't always make perfect choices...

February 10, 2014 9:43 pm  #5

Well, perhaps in S4 Lestrade will have moved in with Sherlock. His wife was leaving him anyway, so ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 10, 2014 10:00 pm  #6

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Well, perhaps in S4 Lestrade will have moved in with Sherlock. His wife was leaving him anyway, so ...

Now that is what I like to see; constructive suggestions as to making Sherlock happy

February 10, 2014 10:04 pm  #7

Lestrade has known and worked with Sherlock longer than John has known Sherlock. However, they have not shared the same bond of friendship as John and Sherlock. I think their relationship (Sherlock and Lestrade) has been on a more professional level. Lestrade never felt the same type of betrayal that John did when he learned he was not privy to the secret that Sherlock survived.
I don't think Lestrade will ever move into Baker Street, but I do hope we see more of him in future series.

February 10, 2014 10:14 pm  #8

See, I keep thinking that there's a certain amount of teasing going on between Sherlock and Lestrade; where Sherlock is now walking on eggshells with John. Sherlock will call Greg every "G" name in the book-- and I actually think it's him being a bit of a prankster. 

Lestrade just seemed to be more open-hearted; and he had to have felt some guilt-- he had Sherlock in cuffs and under arrest before TRF! But in series 3-- we see him as actively appreciating Sherlock, actually being more of a friend than almost anyone else, save Mrs. Hudson. 

What I mean by "better freind", is willingness to hear the other person out, without resorting to violence.  

As for the sort of bond shared; I think proof is in the pudding-- the bond between Lestrade and Sherlock is stronger than ever; but the one between John and Sherlock has become rather one-sided-- Sherlock is the one doing all the work, and John seems content to let it lapse. 

February 10, 2014 10:28 pm  #9

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

See, I keep thinking that there's a certain amount of teasing going on between Sherlock and Lestrade; where Sherlock is now walking on eggshells with John. Sherlock will call Greg every "G" name in the book-- and I actually think it's him being a bit of a prankster. 

Lestrade just seemed to be more open-hearted; and he had to have felt some guilt-- he had Sherlock in cuffs and under arrest before TRF! But in series 3-- we see him as actively appreciating Sherlock, actually being more of a friend than almost anyone else, save Mrs. Hudson. 

What I mean by "better freind", is willingness to hear the other person out, without resorting to violence.  

As for the sort of bond shared; I think proof is in the pudding-- the bond between Lestrade and Sherlock is stronger than ever; but the one between John and Sherlock has become rather one-sided-- Sherlock is the one doing all the work, and John seems content to let it lapse. 

Yes, the bit about walking on eggshells really seems to sum it up; there is something profoundly wrong about it. Lestrade openly admits that he felt guilt but John, who had been quite callous towards Sherlock in TRF, has never admitted that he might have been at fault. He perceives himself as a victim, and all the fault and all the blame lie with other people.

He seems to be mirroring Mary in this; one wonders whether living with her has encouraged him to think in these terms...

February 10, 2014 10:42 pm  #10

I think John is still carrying around a lot of hurt and resentment. I don't think he has completely come to terms with Sherlock's resurrection and forgiven him completely.  Or it might be case of I can forgive but I can't bring myself to forget--at least not yet. Plus John has also learned that the nice woman he is now married to and the mother of his child is an assassin. That is a lot for anyone to process in a relatively short span of time.

February 10, 2014 10:44 pm  #11

Willow wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Yes, the bit about walking on eggshells really seems to sum it up; there is something profoundly wrong about it. Lestrade openly admits that he felt guilt but John, who had been quite callous towards Sherlock in TRF, has never admitted that he might have been at fault. He perceives himself as a victim, and all the fault and all the blame lie with other people.

He seems to be mirroring Mary in this; one wonders whether living with her has encouraged him to think in these terms...

I keep seeing some sort of cathartic breakdown scene with Sherlock and John at some point during season 4-- and what would bring that about? I hate to say ot, but Mary's death, or an unredeemable betrayal, or the loss of both Mary and the baby-- (and it's not that I want to see this) -- but that sort of scenario would definitley be a catalyst for such a cathartic scene that could result in Sherlock and John becoming closer than ever. 

In my heart of hearts though, I just want John to wake up and recognize that actually *he's the one responsible for giving himself the life he really wants, without making it Sherlock's or Mary's responisbility*!  

His conscious and subconscious need to become integrated a bit more befor that happens, though....

February 10, 2014 10:46 pm  #12

Regina Alexandra wrote:

I think John is still carrying around a lot of hurt and resentment. I don't think he has completely come to terms with Sherlock's resurrection and forgiven him completely.  Or it might be case of I can forgive but I can't bring myself to forget--at least not yet. Plus John has also learned that the nice woman he is now married to and the mother of his child is an assassin. That is a lot for anyone to process in a relatively short span of time.

Valid points. Maybe he's holding a bit of a grudge. :-(

February 11, 2014 7:07 am  #13

I personally thought that John reacted exactly how he should have. I always saw John turning towards anger first. If you read reunion fanfics, in the majority of them, John's first reaction is to hit or attack Sherlock. Just like Sherlock, John isn't good with expressing emotions verbally. While he's a much more emotional person than Sherlock, he doesn't talk about them. He's also not the touchy-feely kind of guy.

Just imagine what John's been through. He lost his best friend in the worst imaginable way. He had to watch him kill himself in front of his eyes after delivering a goodbye letter of sorts to him. John had to watch helplessly, without the power to change any of that. Myself having lost family members to natural causes or illness, I can only imagine what John went through, cause what Sherlock did takes loss to yet another level.

John grieved for a best friend he thought he lost for two years. He's now come to terms with never seeing the guy again. To have him suddenly jump out of a cake, saying, "Surprise, I'm still alive, but I didn't dare tell you cause I tought you'd blab," would make even *me* angry. And I'm not, much unlike John, a person who naturally turns to anger first.

If you ask me, had John first hugged Sherlock like Lestrade, I would have thought that very out of character, and would have been disappointed with the writers. That's not John.

February 11, 2014 7:30 am  #14

Teejay, I completely agree. And I'm rather still a bit surprised that John didn't go into some sort of state of shock when Sherlock "jumped out of the cake". I think Sherlock as well as John acted in character. But I suppose that John probably wouldn't even have attacked Sherlock - at least not in the first restaurant - if Sherlock hadn't tried to be funny. And don't get me wrong, I understand that this was Sherlock's way of dealing with that situation, he clearly felt very uncomfortable. But it just was too much for John, so it would have seemed very odd to me if he had just hugged Sherlock in that situation.

Lestrade is a completely different story, in my opinion. He has more of a 'professional' relationship with Sherlock. Of course he also cares about Sherlock, but on a different level.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 11, 2014 7:48 am  #15

SolarSystem wrote:

I think Sherlock as well as John acted in character. But I suppose that John probably wouldn't even have attacked Sherlock - at least not in the first restaurant - if Sherlock hadn't tried to be funny. And don't get me wrong, I understand that this was Sherlock's way of dealing with that situation, he clearly felt very uncomfortable.

Yes, exactly my thinking as well. I think the reunion scene was probably the one I anticipated most where series 3 was concerned, and in hindsight, it could've gone terribly wrong. For two years, I waited for something emotionally charged, something slightly angsty and intense. And we go exactly that, and I thought it was actually pretty darn near perfect, and perfectly in character for both of them. I'm very happy with it, and it's one of the reasons that I realized the other day TEH is my favourite episode in series 3.

February 11, 2014 8:01 am  #16

Yes, the reunion is perfect this way. Both, Sherlock and John, acted like I expected it... more or less.

Lestrade and Sherlock is a different story. Like mentioned before their relationship is more in a professional way. The emotional side is lukewarm. And so Lestrade can act this way... a short intensive hug and a few words. Between Sherlock and John it is much deeper, much more painful...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 11, 2014 8:02 am  #17

I did think the reunion was a bit of a blow, to be honest, because even given that John forgave Sherlock later, I felt like the wind had been taken out of my sails for most of the episode;much like Sherlock himself must've felt, I suppose.
Lestrade's reaction was the only bright spot in the episode for me; he strikes me as almost a benevolent Father figure to Sherlock sometimes. I really hope to see a bit more of him next time.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 11, 2014 8:34 am  #18

Tinks wrote:

Lestrade's reaction was the only bright spot in the episode for me; he strikes me as almost a benevolent Father figure to Sherlock sometimes. I really hope to see a bit more of him next time.

Yes, I hope so too! I really liked Lestrade in S1&2, but since S3 I absolutely adore him, he is such a nice guy! I felt really bad for him in the beginning of TSoT (^^)..

But still I agree that John could not have acted this way, he is far too much emotionally involved. His aggression did not feel like rejection at all to me, quite the contrary. As hurt and angry as he was in the first place, I think it was crystal clear that he could never turn his back on Sherlock for long..

Lestrade calling him "bastard" shows affection, but John strangling him shows love I guess.. impact of aggression proportional to feelings for Sherlock, or something like that. 

February 11, 2014 8:35 am  #19

I agree, I also want to see more of Lestrade in S4. I like the dynamic between him and Sherlock - and I rather liked when they went down to that skeleton  in TEH and he asked Sherlock about John, that felt kind of sweet.

But I thought it was kind of clever to not resolve the situation between Sherlock and John all that fast and soon in the episode. They gave us the scene in 221B after Sherlock's parents have left, they gave us the scene at the very end in the corridor... they really protracted it until the very end, and to me that felt perfect.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 11, 2014 7:37 pm  #20

Zatoichi wrote:

Tinks wrote:

Yes, I hope so too! I really liked Lestrade in S1&2, but since S3 I absolutely adore him, he is such a nice guy! I felt really bad for him in the beginning of TSoT (^^)..

But still I agree that John could not have acted this way, he is far too much emotionally involved. His aggression did not feel like rejection at all to me, quite the contrary. As hurt and angry as he was in the first place, I think it was crystal clear that he could never turn his back on Sherlock for long..

Lestrade calling him "bastard" shows affection, but John strangling him shows love I guess.. impact of aggression proportional to feelings for Sherlock, or something like that. 

Maybe John should strangle Mary, by that logic...  

Seriously, though-- it makes me wonder about John and his tendency for violence. If hitting someone, strangling them,  is how he shows "love"-- there is something seriously wrong, and I'd reccommend anger management counseling, and work aimed at overcoming abusive tendencies. 

Depth of feeling for someone is never an excuse to beat them, even if that person is in the wrong. 

Board footera