BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2014 5:20 am  #1

"You should put that on a T-Shirt"

"You should put that on a T-Shirt." I noticed how both Mary and Magnussen say this line. I feel that this is very important. I'm not sure why, but I do think this is going to turn out to be significant. Mary says it in the context of John shaving and he says, "I don't shave for Sherlock Holms." Magnussen says it when John says, "I don't understand." and then, of course, again once John has said, "I still don't understand."

February 9, 2014 6:10 am  #2

Re: "You should put that on a T-Shirt"

Might be an injoke coz the BBC sometimes actually do put out T-shirts with those lines on them. It might have a greater commercial significance than being purely plot-significant. More might become of this in Series 4 but until then, I will assume that it is said to keep fans guessing what merchandise they will release rather than it being a clue to something really important in the plot.

February 9, 2014 8:53 am  #3

I'm pretty sure this didn't have much plot significance. The line in TEH was probably just a fun line that turned into, "Hey, we could actually put out t-shirts that fans can buy." And my feeling is that the idea took off and they integrated something similar into HLV. Whether that was purposefully written in or something that just happened fluidly in the creative process, we will probably never know.

February 9, 2014 8:58 am  #4

The BBC actually made those T-shirts, there is a little advert inside the S3 DVD about them,,, so perhaps it was a chance to sell merchendize? 

But maybe since there is a bit of 'connection' between Mary and Magnussen one of them picked that line up from the other? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 9, 2014 3:46 pm  #5

They could be just advertising but if you think about it, Donnovan's line fron E1 S1 about sherlock putting the body there was very pertant to E3 S2 showing that the writers thank far ahead and that even the most insignificant line has something to do with the story.

February 9, 2014 4:16 pm  #6

Tho series 3 may fit that even better!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 14, 2015 7:14 am  #7

Sorry to dig up this old post - I'm new here - but I too was wondering about this coincidence. And we all know what Sherlock says about them. 

Another thing that sticks out to me is when Sherlock contronts her - getting her to reveal her secret to John - and he says that he'll take the case, to which she responds....what case? Also, why in the world would she carry - on her person - a flashdrive with of her secrets on it?! I'm not sure if it was just in my head, but she seemed to stumble a bit when John asked her what AGRA was. Like the drive wasn't actually what she said it was, and knew she could guilt John into falling for the bluff. And yet another question....why would Magnusson target an assassin, knowing what she's capable of?

BRAINY IS THE NEW SEXY

August 14, 2015 8:03 am  #8

IBelieveinSH wrote:

Sorry to dig up this old post - I'm new here - but I too was wondering about this coincidence. And we all know what Sherlock says about them.

Another thing that sticks out to me is when Sherlock contronts her - getting her to reveal her secret to John - and he says that he'll take the case, to which she responds....what case? Also, why in the world would she carry - on her person - a flashdrive with of her secrets on it?! I'm not sure if it was just in my head, but she seemed to stumble a bit when John asked her what AGRA was. Like the drive wasn't actually what she said it was, and knew she could guilt John into falling for the bluff. And yet another question....why would Magnusson target an assassin, knowing what she's capable of?

Yes, AGRA flashdrive could very well be a bluff - still, during Christmas, when John confronted Mary again and showed her the drive, she reacted very strongly, like as all was over with her.... so I´m not sure it really didn´t contain some data.

As for Magnussen, I believe he managed to be in his blackmailing bussiness for a long time, without anybody seriously opposing him, so he got too cocky and felt like he´s invincible.... so he lost his wariness around people like Mary and believed she too will yield to him in fear... and that was his big mistake."Hochmut kommst vor dem Fall" - or like they say in the biblical proverbs: "Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall".

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 14, 2015 12:55 pm  #9

Just a random thought.  Maybe she kept the fashdrive on her person at all times because she thought that was the safest place for it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 15, 2015 5:42 am  #10

Yeah, that quote applies quite well. And he absolutely misjudged Sherlock.

And I can also see how having it on her person would be safest....but why have it at all? Why did she also still have all her assassin gear if she truely left the business?

I understand that Magnusson was trying to get to Mary by attacking John and so happened to find that John was also a pressure point for Sherlock in that act. Obviously he has eyes and ears all over the city since the messages addressed Sherlock as they were on their way, plus the video footage. But I have to wonder if she worked for him (in the past) and refused to do something when approached, saying she left that life, thus provoking the attack. I mean most people later in life have coworkers as their closest friends, so it makes sense that Janine was her maid of honor and works for Magnusson.

I definitely like to think the best of Mary and that she actually does love John and is trying to escape an evil past. It would be way too sad to find that the whole thing has been a sham to get to Sherlock. I know they'd been together for at least 6 months before Sherlock announced himself alive to John, but like I said, Magnusson has eyes and ears everywhere. How else could he even know about Redbeard?

BRAINY IS THE NEW SEXY

August 15, 2015 6:27 am  #11

Did anyone else catch this? I just did! I didn't realize Sherlock had deduced that Mary was a Liar right from the start! 

BRAINY IS THE NEW SEXY

August 15, 2015 9:35 pm  #12

IBelieveinSH wrote:

Did anyone else catch this? I just did! I didn't realize Sherlock had deduced that Mary was a Liar right from the start!

Yeah, this is really fascinating! But do we exactly know what was Sherlock referring to? Maybe he only realized that something was wrong with her - well, but what was/is it at this very first deduction?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

Board footera