BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2014 12:40 am  #1

Things Re-Hashed Or Re-Used from The Reichenbach Fall

- Sherlock placing his reputation and life at risk to save his friends

- Master villain's plan places Sherlock in disgrace and in trouble in a criminal sense (Sherlock is really guilty of shooting CAM, but CAM was setting him up to look like he was selling secrets - and I sort of get the feeling CAM would, given the chance, have pulle a, "I'm not a blackmailer...Sherlock Holmes made that up," gambit.)

And Sherlock is now guilty of some things that Moriarty tried to frame him for.

- Sherlock and John face being parted forever

-Sherlock miraculously cheats death 

- the need for exile or hiding

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 9, 2014 1:07 am)

May 19, 2014 6:59 pm  #2

Re: Things Re-Hashed Or Re-Used from The Reichenbach Fall

Not sure where this goes...but...

In TRF we have the battlefield of Sherlocks mind game.
Moriarty stakes everything to proove he is cleverest..gets caught..Sherlock assists in the trial..playing along..even though he knows it's doomed to failure...then confronts Moriarty bluffing him to think it's a we both lost game ..Moriarty suicides to force the draw/Sherlock into hiding.....Sherlock wins via fakery/the bluff/Mycroft.

In HLV we have the battlefield of Sherlocks heart game.
Mary stakes everything to take Sherlocks heart.(John)..gets married..Sherlock assists with the wedding even though he thinks it is doomed to failure..playing along...then confronts Mary bluffing her to think it's a we both win game.....Sherlock kinda suicides to force the Moriarty situ/into the open...and will win via the bluff/fakery/Mycroft.

Both threaten Sherlocks life @ hold hostages..both times same problem..staying alive..saving John/innocents.

Two straight flushes in a row..and stakes higher than an empty house..

If Mary was Moriartys John..be two very neat circles/echos/great games hmmmm.

Last edited by lil (May 19, 2014 8:44 pm)

May 20, 2014 9:26 pm  #3

I also see a big parallel between TRBF and HLV, but the latter resonates much more emotionally with me.

I have always had a problem with TRBF that is even greater now that we've had season 3. I just don't know what's real in it. How much was Mycroft and Sherlock working against Moriarty and how much was Moriarty being smarter than Sherlock?I also don't know which of Sherlock's emotional moments were real. It's just a big jumble that feels even more muddled after TEH. I watched the episode after TEH before moving on to the rest of season 3 and knew that would be the last time. TRBF leaves me feeling frustrated.

HLV has a lot of the same points as the TRBF, but it's just done better, in my opinion. In this episode, I know for sure that the master criminal is way smarter and ahead of Sherlock. I know that Sherlock's emotions are real and therefore his decisions and actions make my heart thump. This time, his sacrifice isn't just a few years of his life, but the rest of it. It's basically as if the writers realised what a mess TRBF was and made a tighter version of it with HLV.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 9, 2014 2:34 pm  #4

Not exclusively re-used from TRF but from several episodes: The smiley face.
In HLV we meet mock versions on the wallpaper in CAM's office. (Or is it just me who sees them? )
Very wicked indeed, since they are echoing the shooting the wall by Sherlock himself. Only this time he's the victim.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 7, 2014 1:12 am  #5

maryagrawatson wrote:

I also see a big parallel between TRBF and HLV, but the latter resonates much more emotionally with me.

I have always had a problem with TRBF that is even greater now that we've had season 3. I just don't know what's real in it. How much was Mycroft and Sherlock working against Moriarty and how much was Moriarty being smarter than Sherlock? I also don't know which of Sherlock's emotional moments were real. It's just a big jumble that feels even more muddled after TEH. I watched the episode after TEH before moving on to the rest of season 3 and knew that would be the last time. TRBF leaves me feeling frustrated.

HLV has a lot of the same points as the TRBF, but it's just done better, in my opinion. In this episode, I know for sure that the master criminal is way smarter and ahead of Sherlock. I know that Sherlock's emotions are real and therefore his decisions and actions make my heart thump. This time, his sacrifice isn't just a few years of his life, but the rest of it. It's basically as if the writers realised what a mess TRBF was and made a tighter version of it with HLV.

Mary

Actually, now that we know that the whole time we thought Moriarty was destroying Sherlock, it was Sherlock  (or "the Holmes brothers") playing with Moriarty...I am holding out hope that they had some additional aces up their sleeves with regard to Magnussen. The parallel between the two seasons is what gives me that hope.

Because, somehow, even if the British government can't truly punish Sherlock (jail or exile him) due to needing him, the fact that he had to resort to murder feels to me like a victory, if not for CAM, then, ironically, for Moriarty, because Sherlock in a sense became what his enemies were saying he was.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (July 9, 2014 10:01 pm)

July 7, 2014 4:43 pm  #6

Excellent points

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera