BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2014 3:34 am  #1

Who works for who?

When Mycroft is discussing Sherlock's punishment with Lady Smallwood and the other MPs, it's as if he's in charge.

Doesn't he technically report TO them? Why is Lady Smallwood, who hired Sherlock in the first place, (and shouls privately think he deserves a medal, even if she can't word it that way publicly), totally powerless to intervene in any way on Sherlock's behalf?

It's almost as if Mycroft is...putting pressure...on someone. Given that he wanted Magnussen left alone, it almost feels like he's in league with Magnussen or aspires to operate the way Magnussen did, and wants to take over where Magnussen leaves off. Or else, he just wants his brother out of the way, for some reason.

February 8, 2014 10:33 am  #2

Re: Who works for who?

When Mycroft refers to his colleague he is referencing M and the blunt instrument is James Bond. So its likely that Mycroft fills a fictional post on the same level as M at MI6 (Foreign) and the DG of MI5 (National). Although they are answerable to parliament the MPs and that particular committee do not have authority over the Heads of Security. The line management for M is Foreign Secretary and then Prime Minister. For MI5 its Home Secretary and then PM. So Smallwood would be a Minister. (The anomaly there is that a Minister would not have chaired the committee questioning CAM)
So in relation to the meeting Mycroft would have had the authority to send Sherlock on a mission as a MI6 operative; but he also needed Smallwoods agreement  as he has no authority to drop Sherlocks murder charges.
I don't think Mycroft is up to something; but it was odd that Mycroft was protecting someone who was blackmailing his 'boss'. The obvious explanation is that Mycroft was unaware of the blackmail.

February 8, 2014 1:24 pm  #3

I thought Mycroft's asking for Smallwood to give the go ahead for Sherlock to be sent into Eastern Europe was significant.
I thought it indicated that between the two of them they'd arranged for Sherlock to be sent to Eastern Europe and then brought back again as quickly as possible; Smallwood having asked Sherlock to take on CAMs case to begin with.
I get the impression that Mycroft isn't actually answerable to anyone (well not many people, anyway), but he uses negotiation rather than command at times like these; to appear to be too indulgent towards Sherlock would be dangerous to Sherlock's safety as much as anything else.
I don't think he's up to anything sinister though, as I don't think the writers would stray so far from ACD's version of him.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 8, 2014 2:19 pm  #4

"Tinks" wrote:

I don't think he's up to anything sinister though, as I don't think the writers would stray so far from ACD's version of him.

I am currently reading "The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes" which gives all the old Holmes stories with notes from various research done, and there is this one theory based primarily on Mycorft's behaviour in "The Greek Interpreter", that he (Mycroft) is actually a villain and possibly working for Moriarty. And I have to say that for a supposedly intelligent man his behaviour is very stranger and rather incriminating in that story.
Not saying that Mycroft is going to be acting as a villain in Sherlock, but I thought I'd mention this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

February 8, 2014 3:16 pm  #5

Ormond Sacker wrote:

"Tinks" wrote:

I am currently reading "The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes" which gives all the old Holmes stories with notes from various research done, and there is this one theory based primarily on Mycorft's behaviour in "The Greek Interpreter", that he (Mycroft) is actually a villain and possibly working for Moriarty. And I have to say that for a supposedly intelligent man his behaviour is very stranger and rather incriminating in that story.
Not saying that Mycroft is going to be acting as a villain in Sherlock, but I thought I'd mention this.

The difficulty is that research, however diligent, cannot displace the central core of the evidence itself; what ACD wrote. So, unless someone has tracked down a letter from ACD announcing that Mycroft was a villain really, that one is not going to fly, no matter how vigorously Leslie Klinger launches it.

Board footera