BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2012 1:49 pm  #1

HOUNDS sentence forerunner for Reichenbach?

Today I’ve been stumbling upon one sentence in HOUNDS and I had the strong feeling of sensing a certain pattern there:

HENRY (to Dr. Frankland): Twenty years! Twenty years of my life making no sense! Why didn’t you just kill me?!
SHERLOCK: Because dead men get listened to. He needed to do more than kill you. He had to discredit every word you ever said about your father…

Dr. Frankland’s tactic seems very similar to Moriarty’s plan to destroy Sherlock, doesn’t it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 9, 2012 2:28 pm  #2

Re: HOUNDS sentence forerunner for Reichenbach?

"discredit every word you ever said" - it does sound rather familiar. I wonder if it means anything or just a coincidence?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 10, 2012 12:08 pm  #3

It sounds quite familiar yes... and adds an extra point of view on Sherlock's fake death.

Because dead men get listened to

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 22, 2012 8:21 am  #4

Add to that these:

- After Sherlock's 'outburst' of having no friends (so John could feel as if he has lost his friend), the next morning he finds John contemplating in a graveyard.

- At one stage, Sherlock interprets Liberty In as part of teh phrase " There is liberty in death..."

Just sayin'

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 25, 2012 2:28 am  #5

What about "Got to see a man about a dog"?

Of course this could just be the well known euphemism/yet another dog joke, but my instinct was to link it to the next scene,  the man being Mycroft and the dog being Moriarty, and Sherlock initiating?  Moriarty's release now he's got some other things sorted.

Actually I think it's usually "Going to see a man about a dog" but I guess there could be regional variations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important thing I have learnt from 'Sherlock':
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 25, 2012 4:45 am  #6

Britigander wrote:

What about "Got to see a man about a dog"?

He was meaning that he was going to speak to the owner of the restaurant about the dog that they said was put down, because it wasn't & became such a menace in the end.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 25, 2012 7:02 am  #7

You're right Britgander in that it is definitely a play on words going on here.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2012 11:38 pm  #8

The "Liberty in death, isn't that the expression? The only true freedom." that Sherlock mumbles really stopped me yesterday.

Funny, how different moments have different meanings depending on the mood and mind we are in..

July 31, 2012 11:56 pm  #9

The Doctor wrote:

The "Liberty in death, isn't that the expression? The only true freedom." that Sherlock mumbles really stopped me yesterday.

Wow. Amazing line. Almost makes you think Sherlock is suicidal...

Last edited by Arya (July 31, 2012 11:56 pm)

October 6, 2012 7:32 pm  #10

Liberty in death can have a few meanings...tho as it turned out, none terribly relevant to H.O.U.N.D.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera