BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2014 8:10 pm  #1

Acting, Modelling etc?

Do you like acting, have you been in a play, movie or anything?

I took drama as extra classes through all of my school years; I mostly did it because I had to deal with my low confidence somehow. I once almost fainted because I had to stand up in class and answer a question. I was hoping acting classes could help me and I think it did. And hey it's fun too!

I have had the following characters:

Santa's wife (one liner)
Old lady 
Brothel owner/Strong man
Tailor Mouse in a modern take on cinderella (For some reason I was type-cast)
Talentless X-Factor contestant, with a hella long monolouge (not Sherlock long though)

A month ago I was an extra in a commercial for the company that sponsors the Eurovision. You can't see me in the TV commercial sadly; but my hand is shown in the paper version. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 7, 2014 11:24 am  #2

Re: Acting, Modelling etc?

I was in a drama club as a teenager. I took part in a play about the Romans in Britain (I was a Briton & covered in dark makeup and 'woad'. Then I did a one-hander (just me), long monologue where I was the tragic young Queen Lady Jane Grey. I won an award for that from a BBC producer (side note my parents didn't come to watch my performance). Sadly my A levels came along and I dropped out of the club. I wanted to do an English/Drama degree but I couldn't get on the Drama course because I spoke with a regional accent (how times have changed).

As a frustrated actor I went into teaching (where your audience is pretty much trapped and cannot escape) and managed to connive my way into leading assemblies that were 'different' from the norm (lots of audience participation).

Then running a Pre-school we had a Christmas Nativity and end of year performance ( usually The Very Hungry Caterpillar) with myself as narrator (all the other staff were pretty much petrified at the thought) and the kids getting their first taste of being on the stage and wearing costumes etc.

I helped with costumes for Pantomimes at the local rugby club and for my children's schools. Also with make-up- I was particularly pleased with my costuming and make-up for my daughter when she played Rafiki in The Lion King.

Since then I haven't done any acting/stage work but I am seriously considering joining a local Amdram group which a friend belongs to.

I absolutely love the stage, film, radio drama. I really think, if I had my time again, I would have pursued this as a career.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 7, 2014 11:49 am  #3

Congrats on the award; that is amazing!!

I am actually considering doing a lot more work as an extra; Not that there was much 'work' in the commercial I mentioned. It was a concert scene and all I had to do was film it on my phone while dancing... but it was a bit of a kick with the cameras.

In High school my drama teacher wanted me to audition for a part in Cyrano, the school does a major production each year but I turned her down.

Sadly depression got the better of me and I just couldn't focus on anything; I was getting behind school work and I was afraid I would let the whole play down. That was the last contact I had with acting.

Now I want to get back ino it; but I don't know how to. I have signed up to an official web site that offers jobs for extras...

I have a dream to play Ophelia one day...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 7, 2014 11:55 am  #4

Never did acting proper but in high school for English, we had some lessons in improvisation just for the fun of it. The exercises were very stimulating. Also since I started watching comedy, I find that I like improvisational comedy a lot. As an audience member I like watching the actors/comedians respond to each other in the moment. You can tell how professional they are when they don't have the "Oh Shit" moment we all have when we realise that we've said the wrong thing and we can never take it back The actors/comedians do have it as well but they're better at expressing/channeling that moment/kind of energy. I think this also stems from my interests in writing. For the most part my pieces are improvisational ones and rarely planned out (though I have written planned fics as well).

February 7, 2014 11:55 am  #5

I love films and theatre but only played at school once in Friedrich Dürrenmatt's "The Visit" where I was the son of the main male character. I remember sitting on a chair with a wheel in my hand pretending to drive a car which was quite funny. 

When reading from my books in public, however, I try to act a bit with my voice and to use my hands instead of just sitting there which might be a bit boring. Observing actors doing readings is quite useful (like Benedict doing the Turing letter, just wow). From this e.g. I learned never to read from the book but to print out the text in order to have my hands free.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 8, 2014 6:11 pm  #6

Do they not have amateur acting groups in Denmark? They are very popular here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 8, 2014 6:19 pm  #7

They do! But I don't really know where they are located in my town; I moved a year ago... 

And in a way I feel a little bit 'scared' of doing live theater again. My confidence is a lot better than it has been but I still don't trust myself fully... If I messed up on stage it wouldn't just affect me but the entire ensamble and the audience. 

As a TV/Movie/commercial extra they could at least cut me out of the take... But on the other hand I really need to break out my shell. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 28, 2014 9:27 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

As a frustrated actor I went into teaching (where your audience is pretty much trapped and cannot escape) )

LOL! I've just had a mental picture of you teaching in a dramatic Shakespearian way and your students trying to escape but you've locked the door... Ah, too much imagination!

I've been in a play only once, when I spent a year in the drama club of my school, I was 12, ha ha. I can't even remember the name of the play but come to think of it, it was quite a weird choice for a bunch of pre-teens. It was about overconsumption. The scene took place in a supermarket, I was the mother of two kids, they were attached to my trolley which was filled with hundreds of products and pulled it like horses and for example, one of my friends was in a posh dress, dancing in a sensual way on "You can leave your hat on" and holding signs that said "Sales -25%" etc and us, "clients", were crawling on the ground, following her... Well, you get the idea.

I quite enjoyed acting but the play itself is a bad memory. One friend got her dialog wrong (she said a line that was like 3 pages ahead in the script), I didn't know what to do (say the right line, but which would have got nothing to do with what she had just said, or skip 3 whole pages and say the line that came after the one she'd said), I was like paralysed, we had to do the scene a second time, and I had the whole school laughing at me, thinking I was the one who had forgotten my line. Ah, well...

Then I took a drama option at school when I was 17. But we mostly went to see/study plays, and did improvisation sessions. For the baccalauréat (rough equivalent of A levels), I had to play a long monologue in front of a jury, I was assigned a monologue in which a girl sounded innocent and "pure" but actually made a lot of allusions to sex through metaphors and all. Got the best mark of my school so I was quite proud.

Anyway, I've never been at ease with acting. I don't really like having "eyes on me", you know? I prefer "shadow"  I really enjoy writing for example.

Just like old times...

April 29, 2014 4:08 am  #9

My association with drama went from being forced to optional in high school.

At first, I only did because I had to, but when I was 13, I suddenly changed and I ended up joining the performing arts club. I stayed in the performing arts club till I left high school, and it was so much fun. I slowly moved up in parts, starting off from just being background dancer/singer/actor, to being one of the main supporting actors in a musical we staged.

I loved it all so much that I started taking up clubs in the weekend too, and performed many productions with them too!

I sadly have no participation in any performing arts now, my life being devoted to science, the extreme opposite! I do miss it though!

Productions I've took part in:

We Will Rock You
Les Mis
Oliver
Wicked
Jesus Christ Superstar
Joseph AHTDC

I think my favourite part, was when I had to do a solo dance routine to Electricity from Billy Elliot, which I remember so well, and it's always been my favourite routine I've ever done!

Last edited by rebeccaholmes (April 29, 2014 4:14 am)

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

April 29, 2014 6:19 am  #10

Those are some fantastic productions you have been in, Rebecca! And that play sounds really cool Punch Me!

I have realized I may never do on-screen work. And hey that's fine too... Before if people were trying to take pictures of me I would just start giggling and ruin it. Once in a pub a guy even decided to test that and spent the whole time chasing me taking pictures and I laughed every time. I've gotten better at pictures though. My friend wants to do a photoshoot with me (she's a pretty good photographer). And I'd love to do it for her...

A week ago while we were given a tour of the Eurovision venue there were some camera men there who were training for their big tasks during the show. One of them were training on his camera movements and closeups etc. I did see he had been spending some time filming some of the other Delegation hosts and I wanted to correct my ponytail. The camera man runs over to me, kneels in front of me with his camera and before I know it he's filming me so close and I just start giggling. In my head I just wanted to keep a straight face and pretend not to be bothered... I couldn't.

It's my low self esteem I suppose. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera