BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2017 1:20 pm  #881

Re: Sherlocked - The Official Sherlock Convention

June 1, 2017 3:16 pm  #882

SusiGo wrote:

A lovely detail about the show, discovered by a fan and confirmed by Mark:

https://ebaeschnbliah.tumblr.com/post/161311068014/interesting-thing-a-tuxedo

So they are not just using ACD quotes. 

Whee! Love the quote, love the scene, and now it feels even more special!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 1, 2017 5:36 pm  #883

SusiGo wrote:

A lovely detail about the show, discovered by a fan and confirmed by Mark:

https://ebaeschnbliah.tumblr.com/post/161311068014/interesting-thing-a-tuxedo

So they are not just using ACD quotes. 

Well spotted, that person!  I read the book many years ago (it's a classic) but there's no way I would have picked up on that line!  I like that they reference other works, and this is quite a subtle one. 

June 1, 2017 5:40 pm  #884

tonnaree wrote:

So much to catch up with!  I will be posting some pictures and stuff from the convention.  I didn't get to attend as many panels as I would've liked.  Photos and autographs took a lot of time and I was NOT missing them!
But I enjoyed everything I did see.  Every single guest was gracious and friendly.  I felt in awe of them all but they were so nice to me and showed a real appreciation for the fans.

Side Note:  Damn, Alistair Petrie is handsome. 

Welcome back!  I'm glad you had such a great time - can't wait to hear more!  From the little bits I was picking up on tumblr, it sounded fantastic!   It's great that the team are so nice to their fans.  I got the impression that it was quieter and more intimate than London - was that the case?

June 1, 2017 5:52 pm  #885

As for Mark, I also vaguely remember some snippets from his Vesuvius Club that sounded familiar. Not to mention Doctor Who. Mofftiss are scavenger writers

June 1, 2017 6:00 pm  #886

Well, Doctor Who has Sherlock references, so it's only fair!

June 1, 2017 7:26 pm  #887

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 1, 2017 7:30 pm  #888

Did she just mean people may have been a tad confused by it?
She possibly didn't want to offend lovely Mark.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 1, 2017 7:41 pm  #889

Wow, that sounds really interesting. A hidden meaning?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 1, 2017 7:44 pm  #890

If she meant that, I'm not sure...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 1, 2017 7:48 pm  #891

Liberty wrote:

Well, Doctor Who has Sherlock references, so it's only fair!

Oh, really? (Still haven't gotten around to watching more than three eps)

-----

June 1, 2017 8:05 pm  #892

Indeed. Lots of them. Especially Peter Capaldi has a lot in common with Sherlock, down to actual quotes. Not to mention the married Victorian lady detectives. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 2, 2017 12:09 pm  #893

Thought I'd get my few negative comments out of the way first.  Especially since they are very few.

Of course my biggest disappointment was that Ben couldn't be there.  But that is no one's fault and totally understandable.  I will never regret spending the money because the chance was there and I would've been heartbroken had he been there and I was not.

One a smaller scale, I would've really loved to meet Rupert!!  I did have high hopes of him being there as he was at the other two.  But once again, actors have crazy schedules.

Finally, I was very upset when I heard that the only questions they were going to take in panels were ones that had been chosen from online submissions.  A big part of the fun of conventions is the chance to talk, however briefly, with your heroes.  HOWEVER, that changed in the middle of the weekend.  An announcement was made that many people were upset about the no questions thing and had been talking about it a lot online.  So they decided that they would take open questions from the audience at panels.
Now what do you think of that?!?!?  You see, no matter what they say, the creators do pay attention to us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 2, 2017 12:41 pm  #894

Maybe they expected some direct verbal attacks, once it turned out people behaved, they changed it.
Have you been to the former cons?

June 2, 2017 12:55 pm  #895

JP wrote:

Maybe they expected some direct verbal attacks, once it turned out people behaved, they changed it.
Have you been to the former cons?

That just makes me even more impressed that they changed their minds.  In the end they tried to give us fans the best that they could.

This was my first Sherlocked Event, but I have been going to conventions all my life.

Last edited by tonnaree (June 2, 2017 12:57 pm)

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 2, 2017 1:03 pm  #896

I think they all genuinely like meeting the fans. Not all are so openly enthusiastic as Andrew, but they like us.

June 2, 2017 1:06 pm  #897

JP wrote:

I think they all genuinely like meeting the fans. Not all are so openly enthusiastic as Andrew, but they like us.

They all impressed the hell out of me. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 2, 2017 1:35 pm  #898

Happy to hear your comments, tonnaree.
From what I read online, the positive reactions usually came from the people who were there and the negative ones mainly from those who got the information second or third hand. I was very glad when you told me that they had changed their policy about the questions. And it seems everything went well. And I was also happy with the reports from people who went to the meet & greets where they could on a more personal level. Some interesting insights from there as well. 

June 2, 2017 1:48 pm  #899

Welcome back, tonnaree! Glad to hear everything turned out well and you had a great time!

-----

June 2, 2017 2:00 pm  #900

Oh, if only I had had the money to go to one of the meet and greets!!  But, I was happy just to be there.

Here's another thing that made me very happy.

At the "Meet the Makers" panel, which was Steven, Sue and Mark, the very first question asked from fans was "Where do you see Sherlock in 10 years?"  Now, I think the fan meant the character of Sherlock, but Steven's immediate answer was "Series 5!"   
I have no doubt that we will get more Sherlock eventually.  No matter if it's a special episode a few years down the road or a whole new series, it will happen.  Everyone involved loves the show and the fans, even Ben and Martin, and schedules can free up.  Or, to quote the man himself "The Game is NEVER Over."

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera