BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2014 2:42 am  #1

Are Two Holmeses Better Than One?

In the original stories, Sherlock did have an older brother named Mycroft, even smarter than Sherlock himself...however, Mycroft was too lazy to be a detective. He did have a job with the British government and brought Sherlock a few cases of (inter)national significance. Emphasis on few.

Does his expanded role in this series upstage Sherlock a bit? In other words, does it become "the Holmes brothers" instead of Sherlock? Mycroft seems to direct Sherlock a lot, and many of the most brilliant ideas area his, so it's almost like Sherlock is the "second" on the team of Holmes brothers.

If you introduce too many characters as smart as Sherlock, it diminishes Sherlock.

February 1, 2014 8:01 am  #2

Re: Are Two Holmeses Better Than One?

I don't think he loves her but probably fancies her a bit!

Last edited by arez9438 (August 22, 2014 10:38 am)

February 1, 2014 9:56 pm  #3

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

In the original stories, Sherlock did have an older brother named Mycroft, even smarter than Sherlock himself...however, Mycroft was too lazy to be a detective. He did have a job with the British government and brought Sherlock a few cases of (inter)national significance. Emphasis on few.

Does his expanded role in this series upstage Sherlock a bit? In other words, does it become "the Holmes brothers" instead of Sherlock? Mycroft seems to direct Sherlock a lot, and many of the most brilliant ideas area his, so it's almost like Sherlock is the "second" on the team of Holmes brothers.

If you introduce too many characters as smart as Sherlock, it diminishes Sherlock.

In canon Sherlock says that 'again and again' he has consulted Mycroft about problems because his brother is even better than he is; canon Mycroft's limitation is his unwillingness to get out of his chair, hence our Mycroft's complaints about how much he hates fieldwork.

So, there is canonical justification for the view that Sherlock was close to his brother; I agree that there is a potential risk of upstaging Sherlock but the actors do know that risk exists. I think Benedict is up to the job, don't you?

February 2, 2014 2:41 am  #4

I love this version of Mycroft the most out of any version. Plus I like the sibling rivalry and someone who can put Sherlock in his place if he ever gets too boastful ;)

February 2, 2014 2:55 pm  #5

I love the interaction between the brothers. I was very happy to see Mycroft's role expanded in series 3. I hope it will continue into future stories.

February 8, 2014 3:52 am  #6

After watching HLV I became convinced that Mycroft is that the root of most of Sherlock's "issues": He coaches Sherlock that "caring is not an advantage." He goads Sherlock to feel insecure and stupid compared to him (to Mycroft).

He involves Sherlock in dangerous international intrigue (the torture at the beginning of TEH) and it seems to me that when Sherlock's actions are the most...questionable is often when he's acting at Mycroft's behest in international matters.

And then, Sherlock wanting to bring down CAM really was noble, at least in intention...and Mycroft was essentially protecting CAM. And then he pressured the politicians into punishing Sherlock.

Board footera