BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2014 9:31 pm  #1

Mary & Janine

Don't know if anyone has asked this yet but...how do you think Mary and Janine knew each other? And did Mary know that Janine worked for Magnussen?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 30, 2014 10:26 pm  #2

Re: Mary & Janine

Good question. In the scene with Janine, Sherlock, and John she mentions that Mary does not know about her relationship with Sherlock. I suppose if they were really close friends, she would have told her before. We know so little - did Mary befriend Janine because she works for CAM? Or did they meet by chance? Did John know Janine before the wedding? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 30, 2014 10:39 pm  #3

SusiGo wrote:

Good question. In the scene with Janine, Sherlock, and John she mentions that Mary does not know about her relationship with Sherlock. I suppose if they were really close friends, she would have told her before. We know so little - did Mary befriend Janine because she works for CAM? Or did they meet by chance? Did John know Janine before the wedding? 

When Sherlock does his brief rundown he says he assumed that Mary had got close to Janine in order to find a way to CAM.

It is exceedingly strange that a woman who is a good enough friend to be a chief bridesmaid would not have told Mary about her 'relationship' with 'Sherl' because 'I kind of wanted to surprise her'.

More mysteries from Mofftiss...

January 31, 2014 1:06 am  #4

Yes. Posted about this in the Janine. transport thread last week.

Obviously Magnusson also has something on Janine , or why would she let him flick her face, or have her as his p.a?
Two women with a secret past being blackmailed by Magnusson becoming close friends. ( matron of honour)
Sherlock insinuates Mary cultivated the friendship like he did to gain entry to Magnusson s office..but I don't think so , Mary didn't need access that way as we know.
Also Magnusson must of known about Janines relationship with both Mary and Sherlock,  and as he "owned" them not objected...that
Makes me wonder if both were being used by Magnusson in his search for a pressure point on Mycroft via Sherlock. ( Mary a compromised plant on John? )
I notice also Sherlock flinches in the flicking Johns face scene, only when Magnusson mentions Janines funny noises , What did he realise/deduce?
And it's strange Janine hasn't mentioned to Mary she is dating Sherlock.
Lots of coincidences and unexplained Q's.
So either they met through Magnusson , or their secret pasts somehow cross.
If Magnusson has /had a Moriarty connection ( seems probable ) this cld also link Janine/Mary/Moriarty/Magnussons past.
Or mabe Janine / Mary were working together to get out of Magnussons control.
Something more to the connection though...clever of them to hide Janine in plain-sight , canon as a cover maybe?

Last edited by lil (January 31, 2014 1:16 am)

February 1, 2014 1:10 pm  #5

I think Sherlock was right and Mary befriended Janine to learn about Magnusson.

I dont think its weird that Janine hadnt told Mary that she was dating Sherlock. I´m assuming that John and Mary went on an honeymoon, so the time they could have spend together was shorter than a month anyway. (I`m guessing its been a month since the wedding because Mary said so to John when the neigbour was there) Apart from that not everybody tells things like that at once anyway.

More importantly, I think Janine had planned to get close to Sherlock and sell some storys to the tabloids since she met him at the wedding, when she said Mr.Holmes you are going to be so useful it was not just about finding a guy at the wedding. So its better not to tell Mary from that point of view.

In Baker Street sherlock said something along the lines dont tell secrets about me and she said maybe I wont. I think she had started to really like him at that point. So when Sherlock turned up with his engagement ring she could have thought he really ment it for a moment and therefor been really hurt when she realised he just used her to break in. that would also explain why she was so revengeful to turn of his medication (explain, not excuse)

Just my idea about this anyway.

February 5, 2014 12:53 pm  #6

the strangest thing for me - as I mentioned somewhere else - it that Sherlock didn´t reveal anything suspicious: Mary chose Janine as her bridesmaid and then Janine is CAM´s PA...he didn´t see the possible relation between Mary and CAM? that´s a fatal mistake!

Last edited by Mrs.Wenceslas (February 5, 2014 12:54 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 6, 2014 11:24 pm  #7

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

the strangest thing for me - as I mentioned somewhere else - it that Sherlock didn´t reveal anything suspicious: Mary chose Janine as her bridesmaid and then Janine is CAM´s PA...he didn´t see the possible relation between Mary and CAM? that´s a fatal mistake!

I was wondering how Sherlock learned all the stuff about Mary when he was convalescing in the hospital. Did he just use his magic phone? And why hadn't he investigated her before? (Maybe this goes in another thread.)

February 7, 2014 7:46 am  #8

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

It seems to be one of many fatal mistakes he made throughout the season - from his clumsy reintroduction to John, to his immediate acceptance of Mary, to his overlooking the "coincidence" of Mary and Janine being friends, Janine working for CAM and Mary's receiving a cryptic message from CAM at her wedding.

It all seemed to go over his head, sadly.

As for Janine being blackmailed, I'm convinced at this point that she'll turn out to be a Moriarty, although if that were the case, would she have dared to annoy CAM by selling her story to every newspaper but his?

I didn't find it necessarily strange that Janine hadn't told Mary about seeing Sherlock - it did seem as though John and Mary hadn't seen much of any of their friends since their wedding.
What I did find strange/possibly cryptic, was Janine's saying to Sherlock as she left the hospital that she'd give his love to John and Mary - I find it hard to believe that John wasn't visiting Sherlock himself, so it seemed a strange remark to make - a subtle threat of some kind passed on from CAM? I don't know.

Last edited by Tinks (February 7, 2014 7:47 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

Board footera