BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2014 10:23 am  #1

Similarities to ASiB

Thinking...as you do...I find there are a number of similarities and parallels between HLV and ASiB. This may, of course partly be because of the two original stories upon which the episodes are based. Have any of the rest of you noticed the similarities?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 28, 2014 11:28 am  #2

Re: Similarities to ASiB

Yes, I thought they were funny. I think Moffat liked what he did to Scandal and used the same approach again. These were the ones I discovered:

There were some callbacks, like Lestrade filming Sherlock on his phone and the smoking scene with Mycroft.

Both start with a piece of canon story: the Illustrious Client and The Man with the Twisted Lip, and they occur at 1/8 or the story. 

Both stories have the plot of the original story (Scandal and Milverton) at the first half of act 2.

They both end in a twist that leaves Sherlock incapacitated at midpoint. 

Both act 3s contain things that fly: airplane and helicopters (this might be an coincidence though). 

January 28, 2014 8:37 pm  #3

A similar style - great wit, style and fun covering some enormous holes in logic.

January 28, 2014 9:14 pm  #4

Sherlock lets sentiment affect his deductions , he gets conned/blinded to the truth.That mistake leads him to a danger night to end all danger nights.(get hurt)
He tries to put things right by doing what he thinks best.
Ultimately he lets sentiment affect that too.(he saves/protects the damsel in distress).
He ignores Mycrofts warnings.
In the end he has left mistakes behind that could return to cause him problems in the future.

IMHO Irene was for himself. Mary was for John.
Sentiment is not an advantage...kinda theme.
Likely it is with Irene (friend), so not with Mary (foe).
Sherlock will learn to balance how sentiments affect his logic.

Last edited by lil (January 28, 2014 9:27 pm)

January 29, 2014 3:07 pm  #5

Irene, blackmailer. CAM, blackmailer.
ASiB Irene's assistant knocked out cold.  HLV Cam's assistant knocked out cold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 29, 2014 5:29 pm  #6

ASiB and HLV:
Sherlock enters an aircraft.
Moriarty makes a short appearance.
Christmas scenes

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 29, 2014 8:03 pm  #7

John and Mycroft search Sherlock's flat for drugs.

January 29, 2014 8:08 pm  #8

Mycroft didn't in SIB!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 29, 2014 9:17 pm  #9

He collaborated. 

January 29, 2014 9:18 pm  #10

Instigated, even!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera