BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2014 5:17 am  #1

Sherlock and Watson Wedding Suits

Ok, so naturally I'm a little angsty over Watson getting married as Sherlock and Watson's relationship is my favorite thing about this series. It'd be nice if Watson and Mary's relationship had been established earlier. But it's Sherlock and Waston's relationship that has been the central focus of the series from the beggining, and ineviably this wedding contradicts that, regaurdless of how supportive Mary is of their friendship. So I'm a little disappointed, but trying to accept this turn of events. 
But the wedding is utterly confusing in that it actually ships Sherlock and Watson together on several occassions. The camera man has to tell Sherlock to get out of the bride and groom wedding picture and it almost feels odd. Sherlock gives a speech about John that's esentailly a confession of how much he values him. Sherlock weirdly gets jealous of John's "ex" (which makes me feel weird about how he isn't jealous of Mary). 
But the most contradictory point that's been driving me crazy is-- is it normal for the groom and best man to dress identically, head to toe?! They look identical; the same flower arrangement in their boutonniere, the same blue band on their hat, the same tie and vest. Is that normal in any traditional wedding to dress like that? I mean, this may coincidentally happen at a wedding because most suits look the same, but their suits were very distinctive and every detail matched! When I saw Mary, Watson, and Sherlock standing before the bride and groom photo was going to be taken, Watson and Sherlock looked so similar, holding their hats the same way in opposite directions like mirror images of each other. They looked like the couple. Not Watson and Mary. So what the hell is that about?
I'm kinda hating this ambiguity. Like how can you visually put Sherlock and Watson together like that, but have the wedding for Watson and Mary? It really clashes, contradicts, collides, and confuses. 

Last edited by Lue4028 (January 27, 2014 5:41 am)

January 27, 2014 7:38 am  #2

Re: Sherlock and Watson Wedding Suits

Here it is certainly very common for the Groom and the Best Man to wear exactly the same suits. Most men go and hire them from the same shop (often Moss Bros). The entire ensemble is traditional. Morning dress, waistcoats etc. Actually, there are slight details different when you look closely. John and Sherlock's waistcoats are different colours and John is wearing a tie pin. It would have looked strange if they had not been wearing these suits etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 27, 2014 10:34 am  #3

Re: Sherlock and Watson Wedding Suits

As Davina has explained, their almost identical dress is perfectly straightforward; that's the way it's done here. I didn't see Sherlock's talk with the 'ex' as an expression of jealousy; he was taking his best man duties very seriously, though in an entirely Sherlockian way, and warning him off. I thought it was hilarious 

Board footera