BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2014 10:26 pm  #1

Line-dancing in Oklahoma

When finding out about the drugs, Mycroft says: 'Have to phone our parents, of course, in Oklahoma. Won’t be the first time that your substance abuse has wreaked havoc with their line-dancing.'

What exactly does this mean? Do they live in Oklahoma? Do they do line dance as a hobby? Were they visiting Oklahoma to attend some sort of dance event?

This is probably not important but this line confused me a bit.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

January 25, 2014 10:38 pm  #2

Re: Line-dancing in Oklahoma

IMO: they do line dance as a hobby and were they visiting Oklahoma to attend some sort of dance event.

They live in the house we saw them at on Christmas day, I'd guess somewhere ruralish in the UK, given a helicopter could land in the field next door.

January 25, 2014 10:47 pm  #3

This is very tentative but I think it may be the musical 'Oklahoma' rather than the place; there's a reference to them going to see the musical 'Les Miserables' which is shortened to 'Les Mis'. I had the mental image of their parents dancing away in their local theatre group's performance and being hauled out because Sherlock was in trouble...

January 25, 2014 11:00 pm  #4

I thought they might have a holiday home in Engand, but them actually living there would probably more sense. Mycroft wouldn't have to mention them being in Oklahoma when they actually live there all the time.

Oh, I didn't know about the musical!
Although wouldn't that be a bit weird when it's only nine o' clock in the morning...?

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

January 25, 2014 11:45 pm  #5

I think he referred to the state, not the musical. Why would you phone your parents from a musical? I think they were on holiday and Mycroft just informed them of what happened. 

January 26, 2014 1:18 am  #6

silverblaze wrote:

I think he referred to the state, not the musical. Why would you phone your parents from amusical? I think they were on holiday and Mycroft just informed them of what happened. 

But it wasn't Mycroft  phoning his parents from a musical; it was Mycropt phoning them at a musical, to tell them that Shierlock was in deep doodah and they were needed, hence their having to abandon their line dancing..   

January 26, 2014 1:54 pm  #7

And this ties in with them watching Les Mis.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 26, 2014 9:28 pm  #8

Then it wouldn't make any grammatical sense, right? You don't say you're in a musical when you're in the audience. You'd say 'I'm at Oklahoma.' So when they're in Oklahoma, it must be the state. 

January 26, 2014 11:01 pm  #9

silverblaze wrote:

Then it wouldn't make any grammatical sense, right? You don't say you're in a musical when you're in the audience. You'd say 'I'm at Oklahoma.' So when they're in Oklahoma, it must be the state. 

But his parents weren't in the audience; they were taking part, hence the reference to their line dancing.

It's not unusual for local amateur dramatic societies to put on shows in England; it may simply be that you are not accustomed to this in your country. But we English are strange, and we do things like that 

January 27, 2014 7:45 am  #10

We do indeed! Am Dram is a big thing here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 27, 2014 11:42 am  #11

Oh, right, I didn't know that. 

February 16, 2014 12:36 am  #12

I'm thinking they were mine dancing in OK. They're portrayed as eccentric and it seems totally the vacation for them.

Lived in Missouri near Oklahoma and line dancing is big there.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

February 16, 2014 1:01 am  #13

Wiggins wrote:

I'm thinking they were mine dancing in OK. They're portrayed as eccentric and it seems totally the vacation for them.

Actually, mine dancing sounds pretty scary; do they have to navigate the course, before they get blown up, to finish successfully? Could be it's the new exciting game at the next Olympics...

February 16, 2014 2:12 am  #14

Willow wrote:

Wiggins wrote:

Actually, mine dancing sounds pretty scary; do they have to navigate the course, before they get blown up, to finish successfully? Could be it's the new exciting game at the next Olympics...

Does anyone believe regular old line dancing is enough excitement for a Holmes? Pshaw

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

February 18, 2014 1:42 am  #15

I thought Mycroft was talking about the geographical location.  Sherlock's parents seem to like to have a lot of fun together doing things that Sherlock and Mycroft find dull or ordinary. Their parents are adorable.
maybe it was my imagination, but there did seem to be references to the other work Martin and Benedict have done in series 3.  Mycroft referring to Sherlock as the Dragon slayer (Smaug), John going to the Bathroom during the stag night reminded me of Oliver's last human scene in The World's End.  The information gathering CAM did reminded me of a twisted Assange in the Fifth Estate for some reason.  His parents being in Oklahoma could have been a subtle reference to August: Osage County.  There was also the Star Trek reference in series 2 (HoB) When John calls Sherlock "Spock" after he quotes Spock who was quoting the Doyle canon (an Sherlock used the same quote in series 3).  And in ASIB Sherlock refers to John as his short friend (Bilbo).  Though, I'm probably imagining things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

March 8, 2014 8:16 pm  #16

I think Josabby has it right; they are referring to the actor's activities while not filming sherlock.  Another one I noticed:  when they were playing the "Who am I" drinking game.  Sherlock picked Madonna for John's forehead.  I think this is a reference to an audition he had with Madonna.  I think it's also telling that Sherlock didn't know who Madonna was.  Perhaps a snub?  Not sure but his quote about the occasion appears in IMDB and it sounded like a weird occasion. 

Last edited by BlackRose945 (March 8, 2014 8:17 pm)

Board footera