BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2014 10:46 pm  #161

Re: Question-- Just how long was Sherlock in the hospital?

I've said this too. Clarelow
The whole of season 3 emphasised that Sherlock is indeed very alone - and that scene, plus the look on his face when he's in the plane, before Mycroft calls him back, emphasises it.
Even his Brother watched him take a beating before fetching him back in TEH - you can sort of understand why he'd feel that Mary's shooting him isn't a major issue, because who'd really care?
John has Mary now so in Sherlock's head there's no one to mourn him.
And no one around him really understands him either - apart from possibly Lestrade.
It's really sad, actually.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 13, 2014 11:16 pm  #162

No worries, Tinks. Controversial discussion can be good. I don't know why I feel so protective of John all of a sudden. I guess it hurts just a little bit to realize a character you love made a grave mistake.

I get where you're coming from when you take Sherlock's "side" in this. And I agree that season 3 kept pointing out how isolated he feels. That really got me in TSoT, because despite all the comedic relief, the first time I watched it, the overall aftertaste lingering for me was, boy, was that depressing, or what?

Perhaps that's why I want to write a fanfic so badly where Sherlock and Mary get a little closer. I don't want her to be that cold-hearted, calculating assassin. I want her to be human, and realize that Sherlock is, if not in her own but in John's life, a very important person with feelings that should be acknowledged and respected.

February 13, 2014 11:44 pm  #163

Tinks

You expressed it much better than I have managed; I find that scene far more harrowing than when Sherlock was shot, and it seemed to underline the fact that Sherlock was being excluded even when he had made a great sacrifice.

I find watching the scene between Sherlock and Mycroft at Christmas in the garden cheers me up

February 14, 2014 6:38 am  #164

@Teejay - enjoy writing your fanfic
@Willow - I like the garden scene too
Then Mycroft goes and spoils it all by sending Sherlock on his death mission

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 14, 2014 7:05 am  #165

Well, Sherlock spoils the party before that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 14, 2014 10:06 am  #166

Does anyone know what hospital it was where Sherlock was treated the first time around? If I recall correclty, there was an exterior shot of a building with lots of colourful rectangles all over the facade. Was that a real hospital, or just a building they used for the exterior shot? I tried Google image search, but didn't get very far.

February 14, 2014 12:38 pm  #167

Swanpride wrote:

Well, that Sherlock was in pain was obvious, but that's not exactly unexpected and he was the one who left the hospital too early.

To be fair, he thought his friend was in danger, or that his wife was about to get herself into serious trouble! He didn't just rip all his tubes out and nip off home to watch the footie :D

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 14, 2014 12:49 pm  #168

clareiow wrote:

I must admit the Baker St scene really gets me. Sherlock never looks more alone. John comes up first in a huff, Mary follows, Sherlock is last, grabbing at the bannister just to climb the stairs.

Then, as he's talking, he's getting out of breath, he goes a pallid grey colour, his eyes are blinking slower and slower, his mouth slows and he starts slurring. He's clearly in more and more trouble, and what gets me is that neither John nor Mary react. Look at their faces when Sherlock starts to collapse. Mary doesn't even flinch. Sure, she goes to grab him, but she's not got a look of worry on her face. And neither has john. Sherlock is groaning and crying out in pain, and john doesn't even look concerned.

I just felt so bad for Sherlock. So bad and so sad.

Yes, me too, and now I feel like crying again..

But I guess John was a bit numbed by all the blows he received lately..I feel for him, too.

February 14, 2014 12:55 pm  #169

Tinks wrote:

@Teejay - enjoy writing your fanfic
@Willow - I like the garden scene too
Then Mycroft goes and spoils it all by sending Sherlock on his death mission

But then watch his face as recalls his dragon slayer!

Incidentally, CAM is the dragon nested on top of all his treasure in Appledore; the vault proved to be empty. Nice little touches with Smaug, though Bilbo was a bit of a disaster area...

February 14, 2014 6:08 pm  #170

TeeJay wrote:

Does anyone know what hospital it was where Sherlock was treated the first time around? If I recall correclty, there was an exterior shot of a building with lots of colourful rectangles all over the facade. Was that a real hospital, or just a building they used for the exterior shot? I tried Google image search, but didn't get very far.

Maybe The Royal London? It has rectangles on the building and it's a major trauma center.

February 14, 2014 6:17 pm  #171

Hm, hard to say. I can't find anything on Google that looks like it, but of course the Royal London is huge and this is just one building we see:

February 14, 2014 7:04 pm  #172

The building used is not a real hospital, it's part of the university in Cardiff.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 14, 2014 7:07 pm  #173

Ah, good to know. That gives me total leeway for my fanfic, then. *rubs hands*

Board footera