BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2014 1:52 am  #101

Re: Question-- Just how long was Sherlock in the hospital?

I've actually got yet another question-- and I'd really love the input of the medical personel here;  are there any complications/ after effects/ problems Sherlock could have after he's totally healed from the shooting? Like years after? (Feel free to reach a little, it's research for a writing project...)

February 10, 2014 2:35 am  #102

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I've actually got yet another question-- and I'd really love the input of the medical personel here;  are there any complications/ after effects/ problems Sherlock could have after he's totally healed from the shooting? Like years after? (Feel free to reach a little, it's research for a writing project...)

I am not a doctor: admittedly I have spent a lot of time in hospitals, but it is my daughter who is a doctor, and she would write reams were it not for the fact that her workload is crushing. I take this opportunity to remind you that whilst the the International 'Be Nice to the Medical Regristrar Week' is just ending,  presumably because it's the Olympics, please try to carry the thought forward.

But I can see long term consequences very easily, because although the liver regenerates well, we have no guarantees that other organs were not involved. Particularly, since people who have suffered real  trauma can, and quite often do, go into multiple organ failure and spend many months in the ICU as a result; there could be long term damage to any of those organs

And then there's pneumonia which could result in permanent damage to Sherlock's lungs; that is  bronchiectasis. On the whole, however, I think it is probably a bit too obscure for accessible fan fiction...

February 10, 2014 8:24 am  #103

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

What does your plot demand? There is a complication that will fit whatever you want to achieve. From some mild and intermittent aches to serious chronic pain. Depending on where exactly you write him to be shot (general consencous is for the liver but excelent arguments have been made for mediastinal injury as well) and the subsequent complications you could give him anything from slightly reduced lung capacity to being on dialysis for the rest of his life as a result of kidney failure.

Willow wrote:

I am not a doctor: admittedly I have spent a lot of time in hospitals, but it is my daughter who is a doctor, and she would write reams were it not for the fact that her workload is crushing. I take this opportunity to remind you that whilst the the International 'Be Nice to the Medical Regristrar Week' is just ending, presumably because it's the Olympics, please try to carry the thought forward.

The 'Be Nice to Med Reg' week coinsides perfectly with the changeover week. lol I'm sure new doctors will remain sufficiently terrfied for a while to maintain their best behaviour. Can't guarantee the rest of the staff though. Everyone is a bit stressed out with the cheos of changeover and they will take out their frustrations somewhere.

I made an acquitence with med reg in my new hospital by calling crash team to psych wards twice on my first day on call. Not the best way to start a working relationship.

February 10, 2014 10:15 am  #104

I think calling the crash team twice shows a willingness to go the extra mile, and I'm sure that the Med Reg was impressed by your devotion to duty

Her most recent experience was somewhat bizarre; someone from A&E turned up with a beautifully prepared speech as to why he needed her to see a poorly patient now. She was, however, in the middle of resuscitating another patient, a fact which he completely ignored

February 10, 2014 10:31 am  #105

Willow wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I am not a doctor: admittedly I have spent a lot of time in hospitals, but it is my daughter who is a doctor, and she would write reams were it not for the fact that her workload is crushing. I take this opportunity to remind you that whilst the the International 'Be Nice to the Medical Regristrar Week' is just ending, presumably because it's the Olympics, please try to carry the thought forward.

But I can see long term consequences very easily, because although the liver regenerates well, we have no guarantees that other organs were not involved. Particularly, since people who have suffered real trauma can, and quite often do, go into multiple organ failure and spend many months in the ICU as a result; there could be long term damage to any of those organs

And then there's pneumonia which could result in permanent damage to Sherlock's lungs; that is bronchiectasis. On the whole, however, I think it is probably a bit too obscure for accessible fan fiction...

In addiion to this, I think I learned that there might be an issue of returning pain; especially in cold and damp conditions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 10, 2014 10:47 am  #106

Willow wrote:

Her most recent experience was somewhat bizarre; someone from A&E turned up with a beautifully prepared speech as to why he needed her to see a poorly patient now. She was, however, in the middle of resuscitating another patient, a fact which he completely ignored

Lol a classic case of looking but not observing. I have done stunts like that a million times. Speaking to a Med reg used to be a big thing. When you are a med student or a baby doctor they seem like this almost mithical creature with imense wisdom and power. They can use it to help you out or destroy you. The only being that is more terryfying is ortho consultant.

February 10, 2014 5:08 pm  #107

This conversation is most depressing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 10, 2014 5:52 pm  #108

What's so depressing about it?

February 10, 2014 6:25 pm  #109

Well, if it's any help the patient my daughter was resuscitating did, in fact, survive

February 10, 2014 10:30 pm  #110

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Willow wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

But I can see long term consequences very easily, because although the liver regenerates well, we have no guarantees that other organs were not involved. Particularly, since people who have suffered real trauma can, and quite often do, go into multiple organ failure and spend many months in the ICU as a result; there could be long term damage to any of those organs

And then there's pneumonia which could result in permanent damage to Sherlock's lungs; that is bronchiectasis. On the whole, however, I think it is probably a bit too obscure for accessible fan fiction...

In addiion to this, I think I learned that there might be an issue of returning pain; especially in cold and damp conditions

I looked up bronchieotasis-- and I think I can make that work. It's more a matter od "showing" , rather than telling-- and then gicing a diagnosis. Thanks for the help on this!

February 11, 2014 12:43 am  #111

You are most welcome; i shall be fascinated to read the results! 

February 11, 2014 7:43 am  #112

In case anyone is interested - there is a WIP telling a very detailed story about Sherlock's prolonged hospital stay including all sorts of medical complications. It is quite good if you are not averse too much angst and heartbreak:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1141383/chapters/2309335

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 11, 2014 6:11 pm  #113

In some ways, the more time goes by between Sherlock's return to hospital (after breaking out) and Christmas, the better, or rather, the more sense it makes:

1) Sherlock needs a long time to recover. (The first time he escaped from the hospital it was unauthorized? He wasn't recovered?)

2) It makes sense for the estrangement of the Watsons to take months to resolve. I have said I have trouble believing it could  BE resolved, (that John could forgive Mary at all) but I can take comfort in the fact that it took months longer for John to forgive Mary than it took John to forgive Sherlock after his reapperance (and indeed, wasn't John's forgiving Mary kind of pushed and assisted by Sherlock himself?) I didn't like how, during the Baker Street scene, John was taking his anger out on Sherlock, but he did say that Mary had become "just a client."

February 11, 2014 7:12 pm  #114

SusiGo wrote:

In case anyone is interested - there is a WIP telling a very detailed story about Sherlock's prolonged hospital stay including all sorts of medical complications. It is quite good if you are not averse too much angst and heartbreak:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1141383/chapters/2309335

I've read some of it; not bad.

February 11, 2014 8:05 pm  #115

I like this one https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10035437/1/Fratros-Eros-and-Agape
Deffinitely a gold star for factual accuracy.

February 11, 2014 8:07 pm  #116

belis wrote:

This is one of my current faves. I believe the author is a doctor.

February 11, 2014 9:00 pm  #117

belis wrote:

Thanks for the link; it's an enjoyable story, and I was immensely relieved when the author refused to allow John into the theatre. Such self control should be rewarded

February 12, 2014 8:31 am  #118

People are kept in hospital only when it is necessary, they are not released fully recovered but in the state they do not need present medical care any more.

At the Christmas dinner Sherlock seemed to be OK, it must have taken at least one month after the hospital to get to that condition so it seems to me more probable that he stayed there only one month for the second time and spent November and December at home.

He was not able to do much but was working on the case, preparing plan for Christmas. He could not have predicted Mr. Smallwood suicide and it was hard to speed it up as he needed to separate Mycroft from his computer.

February 12, 2014 4:18 pm  #119

Preceja wrote:

People are kept in hospital only when it is necessary, they are not released fully recovered but in the state they do not need present medical care any more.

At the Christmas dinner Sherlock seemed to be OK, it must have taken at least one month after the hospital to get to that condition so it seems to me more probable that he stayed there only one month for the second time and spent November and December at home.

He was not able to do much but was working on the case, preparing plan for Christmas. He could not have predicted Mr. Smallwood suicide and it was hard to speed it up as he needed to separate Mycroft from his computer.

The difficulty with that interpretation is that it requires three elements:

Sherlock's mother must be wrong when she says that they are celebrating Sherlock coming out of hospital,

Sherlock's injury must have been minor enough to allow him to come out of hospital quickly following him almost dying again, and

Sherlock completely ignored his obligation to his client, Lady Smallwood.

I don't think there is evidence to support those three elements...

February 12, 2014 6:37 pm  #120

Willow wrote:

Preceja wrote:

The difficulty with that interpretation is that it requires three elements:

Sherlock's mother must be wrong when she says that they are celebrating Sherlock coming out of hospital,

Sherlock's injury must have been minor enough to allow him to come out of hospital quickly following him almost dying again, and

Sherlock completely ignored his obligation to his client, Lady Smallwood.

I don't think there is evidence to support those three elements...

His mother did not say that he just returned from the hospital only that he returned. It means that he was there and now his health is good enough for family celebration. 

What the mother said might not be connected with the time but just with the fact. As I wrote before: if Sherlock who meets parents very rarely says her mother that in hospital, close to death he realized that the family should meet more often (manipulation from his side to have Mycroft where he needs him), it is just natural that mother organizes family Christmas and refers to Sherlock in hospital.

Sherlock was not dying the second time, he just wanted to assure morfin. He said something about bleeding, almost fainted and then suddenly spoke to John with only small problems caused by pain? He could not do it dying. He just did not feel well due to pain. So one month in hospital should be enough. And then at least one month at home, maybe with John's help.

Sherlock did not ignore his obligation to Ms. Smallwood  but needed to recover first. At the  time he arranged the meeting with Magnussen, he did it also for lady Smallwood. He learned about her husband's suicide only the day he went there, then it had no sense to want his letters too,  any more.

Board footera