BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2014 9:52 pm  #21

Re: mental health: is counseling or education more important?

saturnR wrote:

Willow wrote:

If they were then the murder rate would be a great deal higher than it is

This is so true! But apparently the divorce rate is much higher for girls in that age range than at other times. It's a good thing that guys seem to be more patient than us girls

With regards to HRT, it seems to prolong the time frame in which you experience those symptoms. It's more of a bandaid & not really a cure.

Unfortunately with that condition, time is literally the only cure. Freaking hell going through it but one day she will snap out of it when the time comes & we'll all have a laugh about. Doesn't stop me from having homicidal thoughts during this time frame though

(Obviously not going to follow through with it; not a psychopath)

I must confess that I'm not as scornful of band aids, but then I have spent my life dealing with an incurable condition; it must be much more difficult for you because 'normal' people do think in terms of cures, whereas I tend to think about improving my quality of life and, of course, staying alive. I celebrate my birthdays with considerable enthusiasm; I always play 'Stayin' Alive' at full volume, but I would like to assure you that this is my only resemblance to Moriarty! 

It's obviously very hard for you, and great that you can let off steam here; I do think that a good rant has much to be said for it. Just keep watching Sherlock, and refrain from emulating Dr John Watson when welcoming his dearest friend back from the dead 

January 26, 2014 10:11 pm  #22

Thanks guys,

Appologies for hijacking this forum & going into medical debates completely unrelated to Sherlock. Mods: feel free to move this thread to The Diogenes Club if it's more appropriate there. Really glad that this forum has a large number of female fans & I sound less of an idiot that way. Doesn't excuse my hijacking so very sorry for that.

On the upside I now feel ten times better & I didn't even have to pay to see a psychologist. You guys are the best.

Willow: I'm sorry for making comments that are insensitive. I do realise there are worse things to be had health wise - I just wasn't thinking straight

January 27, 2014 9:07 am  #23

saturnR wrote:

Thanks guys,

Appologies for hijacking this forum & going into medical debates completely unrelated to Sherlock. Mods: feel free to move this thread to The Diogenes Club if it's more appropriate there. Really glad that this forum has a large number of female fans & I sound less of an idiot that way. Doesn't excuse my hijacking so very sorry for that.

On the upside I now feel ten times better & I didn't even have to pay to see a psychologist. You guys are the best.

Willow: I'm sorry for making comments that are insensitive. I do realise there are worse things to be had health wise - I just wasn't thinking straight

Please don't worry;  I really do understand that you are going through a very tough patch and I'm glad that you're feeling better now. 
  It's all good!

January 25, 2015 2:57 pm  #24

Does anyone know any good articles on selfhelp for psychological disorders?

Especially eating disorders such as BED and Bulimia?

I've had BED since I was a young teen... I've seen a therapist about this as well as my other selfharming tendencies... the therapy mainly focused on education about why you do what you do etc. 
Due to my 'level of intelligence' (blegh) and my keen interest in the human brain the one on one sessions with the therapist mainly became more of a session between two equals and agreeing on diagnoses and showing me how to make notes in the computer programme... 

I ended up faking recovery... but it did help me somehow. just not as much as I had hoped to. 

I was managing my BED (binge eating disorder) though it seemed to flare up with stress or emotional troubles... recently it's beginning to turn into bulimia... and I know I need help.

I'm just scared of an experience like what I had last... sure it was nice and comforting to be talked to like an equal and a responsible person... but it doesn't get me the help I need. 

So... ehm... anyone know some good literature? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 25, 2015 4:04 pm  #25

Well, John is a medical doctor, not a psychatrist or psychologist. They are there to give the patient the mental tools they need to work through their issues. 

Edit: Noticed just now that this was an old thread and that it was revived with a different question. Sorry!

Last edited by Vhanja (January 25, 2015 4:05 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera