BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2014 6:21 pm  #41

Re: Frankenstein in UCI cinemas all over Germany

TeeJay wrote:

Now that I've seen the version with Benedict as the creature, it would be interesting to see the one where he plays Frankenstein. Apparently this has also been screened in cinemas in the past. Would be really cool if they did repeat screenings of that version as well.

For me it's the other way round. When I saw Frankenstein last year it was "just" the version with Benedict as Frankenstein. It would be really interessting to see the other version. I wonder whether they both play the characters in a similar way or if there will be huge differences in their interpretation. Jonny Lee Miller was an amazing creature. Despite the cruel things he did, I felt so sorry for the poor creature who just wished love and a place to fit in. Jonny Lee Miller expressed the creature's vulnerability very good. Benedict as Frankenstein reminded me at some dialogues a bit of Sherlock because the characters have a few similar traits. Both actors had a impressive dynamic between them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 31, 2014 6:32 pm  #42

Re: Frankenstein in UCI cinemas all over Germany

I've been discussing this with friends on Facebook, and someone who has seen both versions said that while she liked both actors in both roles, she felt that Benedict's interpretation of the creature was even more powerful than JLM's, especially in the first fifteen minutes.

If I just had the chance to ever watch one version and could choose the casting, I think I would have picked Benedict as creature rather than the other way round.

Board footera