BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2014 5:47 pm  #21

Re: Frankenstein in UCI cinemas all over Germany

Well, you all seem to live near Düsseldorf - I´ll go and enjoy Frankenstein in the company of "just" our daughter then ;) 
Did someone see the original play in London btw? (I wasn´t hooked on SH then so I obviously never thought of watching it ;))

Carpe Diem - and believe in Sherlock Holmes

January 23, 2014 5:51 pm  #22

Unfortunately never saw him live on stage. Hope to change that in autumn with Hamlet.
And I need a visa for this cinema visit. I live in Cologne. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 23, 2014 6:35 pm  #23

gently69 wrote:

And I need a visa for this cinema visit. I live in Cologne.

Okay, it took me a while to understand this one, but, hey, not all Düsseldorfers are anti-Cologne. (Easy for me to say, since I live right smack in between both. But I did study in Düsseldorf and lived there for three years.) Here, have an Alt, and toast to Benedict. ;-)

January 23, 2014 6:53 pm  #24

Alt? Ok, if I have to. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 23, 2014 6:55 pm  #25

Galadriel wrote:

Hi

I just realized there´s a chance to watch "Frankenstein" on 30.01.14 in some UCI cinemas. It will be shown only once so I plan on driving to Hamburg next Thursday (UCI Othmarschen) and wondered if someone would like to join me so we can enjoy Benedict´s performance together. 

Greetings 

Insa

Oh, that would have been nice, I have "only" seen the version with Benedict as Frankenstein so far. But I'm in cinema for Coriolanus on the 30th. Have fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 23, 2014 8:55 pm  #26

Coriolanus on the 6th of March? With Mark Gatiss?? Sounds really good as well - I already convinced a friend of mine to join us on 30.01., maybe we´ll just start a round of education and get some tickets for Coriolanus as well
Too bad there won´t be any DVDs - I would have loved to buy them.

Did you see Benedict on stage? Must have been great

... and yes: I tend to use too many smilies

Last edited by Galadriel (January 23, 2014 8:55 pm)

January 23, 2014 9:04 pm  #27

I never saw him on live stage but I am hoping for Hamlet. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 23, 2014 9:24 pm  #28

Galadriel wrote:

Coriolanus on the 6th of March? With Mark Gatiss?? Sounds really good as well - I already convinced a friend of mine to join us on 30.01., maybe we´ll just start a round of education and get some tickets for Coriolanus as well

No, I saw Frankenstein last year in Savoy cinema in Hamburg, the version with Benedict as Frankenstein and Johnny Lee Miller as creature (but he was also very good!).
I will watch Coriolanus at Savoy cinema on the 30th of January but it's already sold out. I was lucky that someone from the forum sold her ticket to me  . But yes, there will be a second screening on the 10th of March (at Savoy). I don't know whether other cinemas in Hamburg shows it too.

By the way, does anybody know, when Benedict will be seen on stage with Hamlet? I am planning a trip to London in April or May.

Last edited by stoertebeker (January 23, 2014 9:26 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 23, 2014 9:26 pm  #29

stoertebeker wrote:

Galadriel wrote:

No, I saw Frankenstein last year in Savoy cinema in Hamburg, the version with Benedict as Frankenstein and Johnny Lee Miller as creature (but he was also very good!).
I will watch Coriolanus at Savoy cinema on the 30th of January but it's already sold out. I was lucky that someone from the forum sold her ticket to me . But yes, there will be a second screening on the 10th of March (at Savoy). I don't know whether other cinemas in Hamburg shows it too.

Yup - it will be shown on the 6th of March in UCI cinemas all alround Germany (for us it is the one in Othmarschen ;)).

January 30, 2014 10:22 pm  #30

Just got home after the Düsseldorf screening. And.... WOW! I'm still floored. It was sublime. Suberb acting all around, the production was fantastic, the stage setting, the lighting, the music, the play -- everything was just... wow. I'm still mentally catching my breath.

I hope they publish this on DVD at some point, because I'd totally buy it.

Oh, and just for the record, in this one Benedict was the creature and Johnny Lee Miller was Frankenstein. At first I thought I'd rather have seen it the other way round, but now I'm glad I saw it this way.

Last edited by TeeJay (January 30, 2014 10:25 pm)

January 30, 2014 10:31 pm  #31

It was brilliant. I watched it for the second time and given the chance I would go again. I went with a good friend of mine who is not a Sherlock fan and she was very enthusiastic and said that Benedict is an exceptional actor. Which is of course true. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 30, 2014 10:37 pm  #32

I am still on my way home. It really was amazing. Still wondering how anybody can do this kind of acting. With all these uncontrolled... controlled moves. Unbelievable! I would have been exhausted after 10 minutes. At the latest. Not being able to speak a single word out loud.

EDIT: No I should say his moves were controlled uncontrolled. The other way. 

Last edited by gently69 (January 30, 2014 10:41 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

January 30, 2014 10:40 pm  #33

We watched Frankenstein in Hamburg and we just loved it - Benedict's acting was fantastic as was the whole cast, the stage design was exceptional, the make-up, the costumes, everything just perfect
Our (adolescent) daughter was a bit embarassed by the opening scene - she kept on saying: "But he's Sherlock..." while my friend and I enjoyed what we saw ;)
A DVD would be nice - preferrably with both versions.

... now we're planning on watching Coriolanus in March.

Last edited by Galadriel (January 30, 2014 10:42 pm)

January 30, 2014 10:57 pm  #34

SusiGo wrote:

It was brilliant. I watched it for the second time and given the chance I would go again. I went with a good friend of mine who is not a Sherlock fan and she was very enthusiastic and said that Benedict is an exceptional actor. Which is of course true. 

That's just what my boyfriend said when we saw it last year. He was totally fascinated by the first 15 minutes especially.
Oh, how I would love to see this a second time...!

Btw, did they also show an advert for a screening of 50 Years National Theatre at your screening? And did you see that this is available on DVD?

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 30, 2014 10:59 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 31, 2014 12:03 am  #35

SolarSystem wrote:

Btw, did they also show an advert for a screening of 50 Years National Theatre at your screening? And did you see that this is available on DVD?

Yes, there was this advert at our screening.  But I totally missed that DVD thing...Thanks, Solar!

Second time for me as well. Still very impressed by Benedict's wonderful acting - again. I'm hoping to see him live on stage later this year...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 31, 2014 8:00 am  #36

So do I, Tobe, so do I. 

January 31, 2014 8:02 am  #37

Yes, I know what you mean.

(Tony Hadley)

January 31, 2014 9:33 am  #38

That 50years DVD looks really good doesn't it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 31, 2014 2:06 pm  #39

Now that I've seen the version with Benedict as the creature, it would be interesting to see the one where he plays Frankenstein. Apparently this has also been screened in cinemas in the past. Would be really cool if they did repeat screenings of that version as well.

January 31, 2014 2:11 pm  #40

Davina wrote:

That 50years DVD looks really good doesn't it.

It does! But I'm also thinking about getting tickets for the screening of it... I'm sure it'll be great on the Big Screen.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera