BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2014 4:01 pm  #1

Sherlock's abilities.

The other day I read an article on LifeHacker.com say that it's completely normal for anyone to obtain Sherlock-like abilities. And by that, I mean everyone can do deduction. Putting that aside my question is: Is it actually possible for someone to have these kinds of abilities? You know, just by analyzing the body you can come up with a theory that explains this person's behaviour and what not. I heard about this new upcoming book by some author (can't recall the name) that instructes you how to think like Sherlock Holmes. So what are everyone's opinions? Phony? Real? Is it possible for an average man to develop Sherlock-like abilities? Is it truly just a gift from god? And is it possible for someone to actually make him/herself a Mind Palace?

January 23, 2014 4:13 am  #2

Re: Sherlock's abilities.

Most people on average can profile at 20%. Most of the time it's with family or friends.

Law enforcement comes in at 40%. If your able to profile at 60% it's is thought to be an extraordinary ability.That's 6 out of 10 conclusions being correct. As you can see most people make mistakes.

Fictional charters are coming in at 80% or more.

As a for a mind palace some people don't use a palace. Was tested in 2nd grade and had 4th year college level comprehension and recall.

Last edited by Holmes Sherlock (January 23, 2014 4:19 am)

The name's Holmes Sherlock, and the address is Baker Street 221B

January 23, 2014 5:14 am  #3

A lot of people have Sherlockian abilities. They just call it something different. What he calls "deductive reasoning" some people just call "gut instincts". Notice the character of "Leroy Gibbs" on NCIS. He's not wordy. He's not normally catgeorised as Sherlock type intelligent. Yet his "gut" always leads his team in the correct direction & they have come to rely on his wordless gut.

Plus, need I mention female intuition? (again - like I did on another thread)

January 23, 2014 8:35 am  #4

saturnR wrote:

A lot of people have Sherlockian abilities. They just call it something different. What he calls "deductive reasoning" some people just call ..

.. well, scientist call Sherlock's approach correctly "inductive reasoning" 

January 23, 2014 12:03 pm  #5

So what I caught from each and everbody's opinion is that you can't truly use Sherlock's abilities, only a part of it. And that yes indeed, deductive reasoning is actually a true and applied mechanism? I've seen countless number of shows do Sherlock's abilities but in a different manner. I ean it must be true.

February 3, 2014 11:05 am  #6

In Sherlock we get the reoccurring image of eyes and seeing. Eyes in the microwave, an eye on the wall in the drug den, Sherlock's microscope, the eye ball in the tea cup, the magnifier...
IMO Sherlock's way to percieve the world starts with actually seeing something without preconception and bias. A bit like a child sees something for the first time. Or Archie seeing the maggots.
I found a fitting article here:

http://www.theschooloflife.com/blog/2013/10/simply-seeing/

February 3, 2014 5:01 pm  #7

Inductive reasoning is not very hard, geting the premises right is the problem. 

February 4, 2014 1:48 am  #8

I think this is kind of a risk / issue / potential downside with doing a "modern" Sherlock (i.e., 2010-2014 as opposed to 1800s): neither his abilities and methods nor his disregard for social rules seem as novel as they no doubt did then. And whether or not EVERYONE has the ability to do deduction, this series introduced quite a few characters who can match Sherlock in intelligence.

February 4, 2014 11:36 am  #9

I think it's a skill that can be practiced. It's a question of looking hard for what you expect to see. My lecturer frequent remind us that the eyes don't see what the mind doesn't know, ie do we know what we're looking for?

February 6, 2014 2:22 pm  #10

I think it can be learned. In Sherlock's case he 'deletes' unwanted stuff and maybe that is why he is so good? Because he doesn't have to worry about what celebrity kissed who and what to get at the shop.

Personally I am trying to use it as best as I can; not doing too well but it's an improvement to my life. I have a strong visual memory which means I can remember something I've seen in details and also remember other details that has to do with the images.

I didn't think it was anything special, still do not think it is; but when I took classes to become a receptionist I forgot my notes on 9 logo's in a class called 'Environment'. I told the teacher I had forgotten my notes but I was willing to try to see what I remembered. I remembered everything. I was a little surprised at how the other's reacted. It's a great ability though, I often use it to make up for my dyscalculia 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 29, 2016 5:35 am  #11

I just read an interesting article about the difference between deductive and inductive reasoning
https://medium.com/@daniellekkincaid/the-sherlock-holmes-conundrum-or-the-difference-between-deductive-and-inductive-reasoning-ec1eb2686112

I'm still not sure I get it, but I'm not Sherlock Holmes. So why is it we all say that Sherlock "deduces" instead of "induces"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 29, 2016 9:54 am  #12

Yes, I heard about that a long time ago. Sherlock never deduces. Maybe it sounds cooler than The Science of Induction?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 29, 2016 11:23 am  #13

Thanks for the link!

I've been thinking about how Sherlock 'got' these skills. I know a lot of people on the spectrum notice a lot more than 'normal' people (sorry, I lack a better term here. Forgive me). It's part of what makes people with autism have panic attacks sometimes because they get far too much information at once. 

I always try to read people and try to find out their intent. For me it's part of my anxiety and PTSD. I need to know ASAP if people are a threat to my safety and if I need to protect myself or escape. It's not a conscious thing anymore. And I know I'm not always right either... my thought process is usually negative and I have to look for clues to calm myself down. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera