BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2012 1:38 am  #1

Jim Moriarty

Posted this in the Rich Brook thread but then realise it didn't really belong there.

Just watched the Tower of London scene again. He's definitely left handed. He does place the diamond with his right hand in the original shot (guessing director's choice due to better angle or whatever) but when Sherlock, Lestrade and John are reviewing the security footage, he places the gum with his right hand and the diamond with his left (go go continuity!!).

Also, I just noticed that Moriarty is wearing a tie-pin in the Old Bailey scene. Can't see his shirt sleeves as the jacket sleeves are longer but it'd be funny if he were wearing cufflinks as well; given cufflinks & a tie pin are the gifts Sherlock receives at the beginning and says he doesn't wear.

Edit: He's not wearing cufflinks. His shirt has buttons. Can see it in the tea conversation scene.

Also; when he explains the way he got to the jury "Every person has their pressure point - someone that they want to protect from harm"

Pretty much tells Sherlock how he's going to end this thing. Can't imagine Sherlock missed that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 5, 2012 2:35 am  #2

Re: Jim Moriarty

Also; how is it that Mycroft knows about the key code waaaaay before everyone else? Doesn't he begin interogating Moriarty at the end of ASiB?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 5, 2012 2:38 am  #3

Yes, that's a good point. Although he says about them watching people like Moriarty they must have something fairly specific in mind that they want from him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 5, 2012 2:54 am  #4

Interesting you should point out about the jury and the pressure points, and that it could be a clue for Sherlock.

I've often wondered about the line when he's talking about the "final problem" and he says "I already told you...but did you listen?"...I always think, well obviously I haven't been listening because I don't have a clue what he means! Does anyone else? Does he say that before or after they talk about the jury? Can't remember.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 5, 2012 3:45 am  #5

Common theory seems to be that "Stayin' Alive" is the Final Problem. No idea if that is correct.

April 5, 2012 4:18 am  #6

Think...it could be. Even that phrase has more than one possible meaning though. It could mean literally staying alive I.e. not dying but it could also mean staying 'alive' as in feeling alive and not in some depressed state. A interesting link to the use of 'flying' and 'falling' by Jim Moriarty.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 5, 2012 4:30 am  #7

I think, "staying alive" as a whole isn't Moriarty's problem, just the (booooring!) "staying". It would correspond to Sherlock's "breathing", that is boring to the latter. Maybe the final problem is living without being bored - that applies to both of them.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 5, 2012 4:34 am  #8

Exactly, that's what I was trying to indicate. They both want to avoid dying from boredom!

April 5, 2012 11:13 am  #9

wholocked,
that's funny, because yesterday I discovered the shot of the security camera, too, and - yes, you are right- Andy is definitely putting the diamond into place with his left hand. And not only that: He's putting it at a different spot on the glas. Such a big continuity cluncker really annoyes me, because the leftie/rightie thing is often very important in classic mystery stories.
Anyway, since it was my big theory, that the twin theory could be proven by different handedness, I looked again at the scenes, which might indicate Moriarty's handedness in all episodes, and found many more inconsistencies, not only with the phone, but with other things, too. Even his body language is not compatible with a pure leftie.As I said before, I have done a lot of research into the handedness problem, job wise and for personal reasons. It's far too lenghthy and complicated to give a detailed analysis here. I came to the conclusion, that either they wanted to show Moriarty to be ambidextrous for some reason (maybe just to troll us, lol!), or that Andy Scott is ambidextrous or a leftie with strong ambidextrous tendencies. At the moment I'm going with the latter, because clips from Andy in other roles, and the ease of his performance seem to confirm this. I had dismissed this thought before, because it's so unlikely. While about 10 % of humanity is left handed, only a very small percentage is  crossdominant, and an even smaller percentage is ambidextrous.
While I personally still think, the twin theory has some merits (there's still the discontinuity of Moriarty's facial hair growth, which of course could be artistic licence or an error as well), and could be a compelling story line with a nod to canon, if handled skillfully, my arguments have become weaker: it cannot be proven by looking at the handedness.
This kind of continuity errors make me a little angry, because it's not even a fleeting thing, which you could only detect in super slo mo. It makes you question, how much you can trust the things you clearly see in the show. And this surveillance camera shot must be a continuity error. Any other explanation seems too far fetched. It makes me also question the validity of the discovery, that the body on the stretcher, which gets wheeled into the hospital in the final shot of that scene, is not Ben Cumberbatch, but probably one of the stuntmen, who did some jumps. There are many websites, which have posted conclusive screen caps (thefinalproblem went into it most extensively). Since you can see the (quite bloodless) face of the person only in slo mo, I tend to think of it as another continuity error, since a body switch OUTSIDE  of the hospital doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited by sherlocked (April 5, 2012 1:45 pm)

April 5, 2012 1:41 pm  #10

Davina wrote:

Exactly, that's what I was trying to indicate. They both want to avoid dying from boredom!

God tell me about it.  Yawn.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 19, 2012 7:11 am  #11

There's an absolutely brilliant analysis of Moriarty/Jim/Brook and Andrew Scott's performance; at the end, they deconstruct the rooftop conversation when Moriarty sees something in Sherlock's eyes and decides to kill himself which people have asked about in other threads.

It's pretty much exactly what I was trying to convey but I don't have nearly the ability to explain as this person does!

By the way, check out their other articles if you haven't already. Really very interesting.

http://mkhey.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/sherlock-technique-part-viii-moriarty-im-the-storyteller/

April 19, 2012 10:49 am  #12

These are excellent articles! I haven't read them all yet but the ones I have read are very well written, constructed and observed.

Board footera